Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamalibrarian83

large Pottery Barn farmhouse bed + small space = __?__ nightstands & lamps?

alabamalibrarian83
11 years ago
Our master bedroom is fairly small. I scored a $3200 Pottery Barn set (farmhouse canopy bed and dresser) on Craigslist for $650 after haggling, so don't even tell me if you think this furniture looks like crap or is too big for this room to handle. :) My question is, do I have room for nightstands, & if I mount reading lights to the wall, where do they go in relation to bedpost? I ordered tiny nightstands off of Joss and Main, but they looked so miniature next to the bed that I walked in and did not even SEE them...I didn't realize my husband had already opened the boxes and set them by the bed.
But wouldn't big nightstands & big lamps be 'furniture overload' in here?

Comments (28)

• alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The petite sized nightstands that look like hobbit-sized furniture when placed next to the King Size canopy farmhouse bed. They've been demoted to living room furniture instead.
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    (::crickets chirping::) Anyone?
  • carole
    11 years ago
    congratulations,what a good price!!found one picture where the lamps are inside the frame,and yes,i think you have space for nightstands and would look for tall ones,but if you cant find that in the size how about making your own with just a floating shelf hat fitts the space?
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's a great idea ; I love the mirrored look. Hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to keep them clean & smudge free.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    11 years ago
    Here are four tables available from Pier One, the widest is 22" (I wasn't sure how much room you had). I would recommend wall mounted lamps, like Kelly suggested.. I hope this helps....
  • jan74
    11 years ago
    I like all 4 tables Karla posted, and yes, definitely go with sconces rather than lamps. Cause any lamp visually big enough to match your bed would take the entire nightstand space.

Also, I do not think your furniture looks like crap at all. It is lovely.
  • PRO
    Lavieestbelledesign
    11 years ago
    Congrats on your find and I love craigslist! I also have a very small bedroom and I love the mirrored nightstands kelly posted. They wont look "heavy" in the space and will reflect light around the room. Even a silver pedestal would look less hobbit :)
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    'Bama! Good to see you back! Way I look at it...if it fits between the walls and you can still change the sheets, it works!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    Just use car wax on them- it works great! Wipes right off with no effort
  • PRO
    Lavieestbelledesign
    11 years ago
    I have two mirrored nightstands and a toddler and the fingerprints don't show up at all. I actually rarely clean them it;s the clear glass that shows the prints.
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Fill the wall - keep everything in scale to the bedroom - big lamps are good! And congrats on your score - this is a great bed and you do have room for it. Paint the walls a cozy color and elbow out!
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Kelly you mean car wax can be used to clean them, if I go with shiny blingy ones? Never heard of that!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    No use it to keep the fingerprints and dust off of them...it is a preventative treatment. I use it my shower as well to wick water spots away. Just makes it easier to keep clean.
  • PRO
    The Faux Show, Inc.
    11 years ago
    How about wall mounted reading lamps and wall mounted shelves for nightstands? Place baskets under shelves(you can mount both at the exact height and location needed in relation to new bed) to hold magazines etc. shelves can have decorative brackets and be made of a wood similar to bed to tie it all together!
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I was also going to suggest wall mounted nightstands and lamps. Will give you the shelving you need, but they won't be cumbersome, and they will allow you to get around the bed easily. Gorgeous bed!!!
  • PRO
    Sarah Bernardy Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    Great find! I would also suggest taller night stands in a mirrored finish. These could be antique mirrors so you don't have to worry as much about finger prints. The mirrors will keep things from feeling bulky yet keep the headboard wall anchored. I prefer to do a pair of lamps on the nightstands to bring color and interest into the space. But if you are a bed reader the sconce option will be better for you.
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    Try Home Goods was in there recently and they do have the mirror nightstands. Probably your cheaper than all the others and you wont have a problem or returning.
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everybody. This is why I love Houzz so much! With mounted lamps, will I have to get an electrician to come back out and go through the sheetrock to install those? I mean..how do wall-mounted ones plug in?
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @carole I like the lamps you posted the most; (the ones that are mounted inside the canopy frame). But wow that seems so high up. For reading purposes, I can't really imagine having my reading lamp mounted 3 feet over my head when I'm reading there. Seems like my big hair would cast a shadow onto whatever book I'm reading, ya know?
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    check the height of your bed/mattress...you may need 30" tall night stands, they and your lamps need to balance w/your bed.....don't. be afraid to go larger , they need to hold their own beside your bed....I love a deal......and everything Pottery Barn has..........good luck
  • pixelsmash
    11 years ago
    Nearly on topic this time; excellent solutions. Would it be imprudent of me to inquire whether the height of that beautiful bed could be enhanced by some kind of drape or swags of transparent or translucent fabric? I think of embroidered silk Georgette in ivory but many faux silk voile fabrics might be lovely, and by soft definition, might further open the space. The visible yet invisible mirrored night-stand put me in mind of this. I like to plaster frame- less crackled mirrors into a wall using gesture to represent a frame in order to make a small space deceptively larger, and I like the interrupted reflection also. The enclosed pics give some indication of what I mean. Glue chip glass on top of mirror also make a great 3D fractal. Tell me if this is parallel notion is still too far from the source question; it's that darn lateral thinking.
  • pixelsmash
    11 years ago
    this one, wrong button, I hope or I am Yosarian
  • alabamalibrarian83
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @pixelsmash First, let me say I appreciate your large vocabulary and correct usage of punctuation. :) And yes, I have considered doing something with fabric over the bed, or making panels or something. I was hoping to use the white fabric which we actually got married under, but I don't know which direction to go with that thought. I don't know if I should drape it across the whole thing, a true canopy, or make some kind of panels out of it.
    Do you have any zoomed out photos of this crackled fractal look on furniture? I like your close-ups but it's hard for me to picture what it would look like set in a room.
  • pixelsmash
    11 years ago
    Wow. I am honored that you have responded to this. Oddly, my initial thought was the fabric purchased by my Mom which she had thought would make lovely curtains for her great room. She did not make the curtains, but rather a wedding dress with a ruffled cape for me. The fabric is an ivory Chinese silk georgette, so it is crisp with a full body, and does not hang at all like chiffon. On it are attached three dimensional flowers in a spaced but all over motif. I'm going to go and get some of the extra fabric right now..hang on..(thunders off) Ahh, yes. It would make some lovely photos and scans too. I will send you images if you wish. The silk is old, and would cost a fortune now even if it could be located. There are so many possibilities; c'est ne pas grave.

As to the fabric which I see festooned above you in that lovely photo (thanks; you look so elegant), has it a transparent quality, or is it more opaque in nature? If it is the latter, you may still be able to use it in this room, perhaps on the same wall as the door, so that it would not be evident until you were to turn around, when in the room, like a surprise, as it were. It may be longer than you may think is necessary but I would not cut it. (As an art student we were taught the credo that "less is more". One of my lovely former students with a kind disposition and fabulous sense of humor remarked that this is obviously not true," more is more, and less is less", and wondered why this was not self-evident.)

In this instance Paul is correct I believe; I would festoon that fabric and illuminate it with tiny lights, even were it to "puddle" itself onto the floor. Nor is their any reason why you could not create some kind of armature above the door, if space permits, as a reference to an interior portico, or canopy. Just have fun and loop it around, even to the corners, and use the entire height of the room if you can.
    The beautiful bed is already too tall to allow a generous swath of fabric hung from a central point,
    in the ceiling. Fortunately, that treatment is most used when there is no actual structure, which you have in this classicly structured piece. It would be redundant, superfluous and unnecessary (a little joke for you) to" gild that lily." My step-dad had an* hilarious phrase, as I thought, in that something might " possess the quality of being gaudy without a trace of ostentation." I have remembered this in order to tone-down my love for the"shiny" just a tad. I guess my so cool prof/artist teachers from L.A were correct in this instance: for this bed, "less is more."

All that I think you might do here is find a very sheer tightly woven fabric like the georgette described above or a fine taffeta, a fabric of body, in ivory or écrue and wind it through the existing structure to soften the austerity of the line, with perhaps a suggestion of draping at whatever intervals you deem appropriate, without covering the entire top, to you own taste. This idea was already in your mind before I even saw the post; the kismet of serendipity strikes like lightening, with an unrecognized cadence. (Bronze was invented at the same time in two different locations, a fact I find worth pondering.)

The photos I attached were actually studies of old mirrors which I left outside to weather, presented in a formal repeated photo-montage structure I use as a "given" or default setting. The mirrors generate their own fractal pattern, causing the illusion of the reflection to also fracture, because the silver applied to the back of the glass corrodes from water and freezing and subsequently flakes away revealing a truly authentic "crackle" or more properly branching fractal pattern. This concept is an integral part of the image system I am making within digital photography, and which I will avoid in detail now, because explanations of this are merely academic without seeing the work. The other two images using the same formal presentation are only the same shot inverted . The root photo was of the glue chip glass( and not real glue-chip either, mimetic, cast glue chip!) from the front steel door, which, of course references an old style paneled wooden door, so we can maintain some level of comfort, and imagine that Barbara Billingsley is still in the kitchen, making us some soup. ( Imhotep, it's all your fault.!)

Oh -oh. I almost went there, but fortunately just deleted two rather intense paragraphs, which were waaay beyond the original destination.

P.S. Anybody want an awning?

In conclusion "Bama, (may I call you 'Bama, like the"Mighty Ironwood?" It's an affectionate diminutive, and suits you.) I'm delighted that you enjoy my grammar; it was hard won and was in fact nearly beaten into me, and is now a completely innate form, as is scatology, within which noun/verb agreement is crucial to convey an accurate level of intensity. (ref. "Deadwood", H.B.O.)
    In addition I have a comprehensive collection of "slang" which , I truly dig, and have dug since the fifties, man. It is, in fact my preferred genre.

P.P.S * "an" may be used instead of "a" as an indefinite article to preface a word beginning with a consonant , when that consonant proceeds as non-voiced and elides within a vowel sound traveling immediately into consonance. The only example extant is marked with an asterisk, contained within the fourth paragraph of the above missive.

P.P.P.S The above definition perfectly reflects, within the opinion of this humble writer, the current malaise contained within our system of public education, as specifically evidenced within that which is termed "The New Curriculum", which has redefined specific examples of the known lexicon of the English language, commonly known as "words", and within this arbitrary redefinition of "words" to have meanings lacking the former semantic and contextual history contained within each individual paradigm, resulting in intentional obfuscation, public alienation, run-on sentences and graft, within a previously esteemed public trust. And onanistic sentence fragments, totally reflexive in nature. Talk about "juking the stats".

As always, I'll be your Huckleberry,

Pixelsmash

THE LOST PARAGRAPH

I have used acrylic "crackle medium" which is to be applied after one coat of acrylic paint, and it is a clear medium, or one which dries that way as often acrylic mediums are milky when first applied and later dry clear. I remember that there was some consideration of timing required between the three coats of acrylic, in order to facilitate the branching fractal pattern without too much resistance from the drying paint layers. I found it to be unreliable, but I imagine that I just did not practice enough with it. Now there are nail polishes available which do the same thing.
    I am more than certain that the Houzz designers are far more acquainted with this technique than am I.
  • existential
    11 years ago
    Pixelsmash, my english/comp lit academic side loves your fractalized mirror side. I have some old mirror pieces "curing" in my garden right now. Wish I could do sthg brilliant like you did with them. Alas, can't even understand what it was you did, but I do like.
  • pixelsmash
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Bakat'cha, existenz. No problem. It's easy, and massively exciting, because cyber laws of physics are ruled by quantum mechanics. I just had to figure it out. My insights have been verified by two physicists. I wish I was still teaching; the kids would devour this stuff. I'm off for cigars and coca-cola. See you on the flip-side, if in fact there is one.

Actually, all of the above is true, if you thought I was kidding. I don't really "smash" the pixels. All my information is freely given; no time have I for the "hidden agenda".
  • rod handler
    11 years ago
    I'd first get rid of w2w carpet, put down a wood (not pergo) floor and then take another look. Is that a cottage cheese ceiling? Since the bed frame draws the eye up, make sure the ceiling is smooth and clean looking. I'd do away with light fixture and put lamps on bedside tables or nightstands, put the plugs on the switch so you won't need to walk into a dark room. You can have subtle reading lights as well, if you need them. Some of the new LED lights are very small.
    Lamps on the tables will give them more bulk, so they won't look so miniscule next to the big bed.
    Another way to make the bed scale fit better in the room would be to paint it white, or even match the walls. If it were mine, I'd treat it like a big sculpture, modern art.