Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfrits

Bringing a mid-century lake cabin into the 21st century...

kfrits
8 years ago

Hello- This lake house has been in our family since it was built in the 1940's. It hasn't really been updated as you can see. I have no experience with mid-century decor but I want to keep that vibe going- just refresh it and make it cool. The couch needs to be recovered, I'd like a new rug and coffee table and trade out the day bed by the window for a couple more chairs or a small table and chairs for playing games. The floor is very dark gray, almost black linoleum which is staying. I plan to take down all the photos and I'm open to either painting the plywood or adding wood panels or boards to the white wall. I have some nice 8" fir lap siding boards that I could use. I am in love with a dark teal/peacock color right now and am thinking about using that for the couch. No TV. Keep the dark ceiling beams and soffit. Here is where I can use some help please... colors: rug? couch? walls? chairs? what should I do to the walls to unify them- one side is stained plywood, the other side is painted plywood. Should the rug just be in front of the fireplace or should it fill the seating area more? I would like it to be bright and colorful but still feel timeless. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

With the dark floor and ceiling keep the wall a light color and leave the wood around the fireplace only, as your vocal point wall.

You say your in love with the teal peacock color NOW, use this color for pillows, throws, rug, the items easier to change should your color choice change. Cover your couch in a more neutral color, maybe gray or tan. Consider making a nod to the era and cover the couch in a mild yellow not the harvest gold of the time.

The rug should not be in front of the fireplace for safety issues alone. Consider a couple of rugs a large one for the seating area and another in front of the daybed.

I would keep the daybed. Have a cover made the same as the couch and put large over sized pillows there for seating. When the time arises (when not if, this is a lake house and guest will come) there is an extra bed.

kfrits thanked Vicki Denson
  • janedoe2012
    8 years ago
    I think the living room looks great! I agree the couch is worth re-covering. It is perfect!

I like the day bed too - it just needs a custom mattress cover in a substantial upholstery weight fabric. And throw pillows. It shouldn't be the made up like a bed. Hide the regular pillows until a guess needs them.
    kfrits thanked janedoe2012
  • Lori East
    8 years ago
    The wall lamps could be replaced with fixtures more fitting of the era. Designdistrictmodern.com has some great MCM sconces, reasonably priced.
    kfrits thanked Lori East
  • Lori East
    8 years ago
    Great room!
  • SewingLadyDi
    8 years ago

Love your place.

• kfrits
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great ideas on how to make the daybed more aesthetic while keeping the functionality. I also think those lamp suggestions are much better than what exists now. The fireplace has been converted to gas so no danger there. A couple rugs would work well, we could also move them in and out depending on the season- cover chilly winter floors. Does anyone think adding the fir boards would be an improvement, perhaps around the fireplace? It might look like this:

Carmel Mid-Century LEED · More Info

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

kfrits thanked emmarene9
  • Terri Henderson
    8 years ago

I would not paint the wood walls, and I would probably keep the daybed, but cover the mattress in upholstery fabric and surround with bolster pillows, or get three long ones that cover the whole border... If someone wants to sleep on it, just cover with a mattress cover and sheet for the night. What a treasure you have. I love the idea of teal for the sofa, or go neutral on the sofa and use colorful pillows and accessories. If you ever change your mind about colors, you could just change pillows. I would use a large, square shaped rug near the sofa.

kfrits thanked Terri Henderson
  • omelet
    8 years ago

What an incredible treasure you have!

• kfrits
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! I think I will go with a neutral gray for the couch, a different color cover for the daybed and add some punch with pillows and rug(s). Then I'll revisit the paint... it isn't a very friendly shade of white and a bit too shiny. I like emmarene's mock up keeping the wood over the fireplace and continuing the painted surface on either side.