catbirley

How do people like their corner kitchen sinks? Any negatives that you

catbirley
7 years ago
Thinking of going with a corner kitchen sink design

Comments (25)

• btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Corner sinks have many access challenges...only one person can use the sink at a time....the corner space behind the sink is difficult to reach....the space under the sink is awkward like any corner cabinet...you can't put a window over it easily...we all want large sinks these days...this just increases the unusable odd spaces around the sink..probably difficult to service and do little adjustments to garbage disposal...etc...
    trying to think of a positive to add...wondering ...what draws you to the corner sink idea?
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Nngirt has the perfect solution if you have the added space needed ....negates most of the negatives and adds a feel of coziness to the kitchen
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

i have the same sized sink on a straight counter run in our vacation home.... there is no difference in access to the sink or to the space under the sink. the only difference is my corner sink doesnt have a window, but as the living room is behind this corner it would be odd to have one.

i would have put the corner sink some place else but there was no other place. 1870 houses can be bears some times.

• Najeebah
    7 years ago
    we have had a circular corner sink for years, as well as a rectangular double sink, and find both work perfectly and conveniently. there are windows to either side of the corner sink. it can be restrictive if you can only have a small sink there, and no other sink in the kitchen, but other than that, it is something I am generally in favour of
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Also think about access to the dishwasher. If the sink is in the corner, then it will be difficult for you to stand in front of it when the dishwasher is open.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

We have one and we like it. The dishwasher is removed by one cabinet, so it can be open when you are at the sink. We have a corner dish dryer behind the sink and it is handy. No regrets.

• acm
    7 years ago

ok, auntthelma, now you've made me curious -- what's a corner dish dryer?? sounds like something that might be handy in any crowded kitchen!

I had a corner sink in my first house and loved it, but it was next to a window. somehow it gave a cozy feel in a smallish kitchen, can't say why.

of course, now my fantasies run to having a 30" single basin, so probably won't go that way again.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

search for "corner dishrack." It isn't huge, but it's good for glasses and prep stuff.

I do have a window next to the sink. Not right in front of it.

• catbirley
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your input everyone. We are trying to improve access to a dishwasher by moving it to a straight section of cabinets & this would require moving the sink to the corner as we are working with a small kitchen footprint in a second home.
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Just a heads up...for future posts...entering the info about your situation ...at the beginning of the post ....will inspire more pertinent suggestions for your particular dilemma
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 years ago
    Upfront, I hate corner cabinets because they are a hole in the kitchen you throw money into. Whether a Lazy Susan or some other device, you have to throw money to get some practical use...and then still have a 36" sink base to deal with. To me a corner sink provides good value for otherwise underutilized space and frees up room for an extra 3-drawer base.

Main caution: large women often feel cramped for space with corner sinks. Otherwise, if your DW is located properly relative to the sink, this is a viable option.
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Good points on sink Hal...no points on the sexist remark...think maybe large ...men... may have the same problem?
  • tooky58
    7 years ago

I hate mine! It's in a small kitchen and I could really use the wasted counter space. It's a good 10-12" which is a lot! in this kitchen & it's not useable.

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    7 years ago
    Not being sexist. Realistic. While technically a large man could feel cramped using a corner sink, relatively few men -- skinny or otherwise -- use a sink for extended time for things like dishwashing. We (wife and I) mostly load the DW as we mess up dishes. Functionality issues such as sink placement should be based primarily on needs of the person who spends the most time working in the kitchen, typically a woman.
  • btydrvn
    7 years ago
    Oh Hal you are just getting in deeper and deeper...lots of men do all the cooking these days...aaaand lots of men...who are not sexist...do the dishes since the wife does the cooking...
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

i think the most important thing for *any* large human who happens to be using a corner sink, is to have it designed with fillers either side before it turns the corner, so that it makes for a longer/larger area in front of the sink.

• vegasrenie
    7 years ago
    The house I am buying has a corner sink. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is one of those awful V shaped corner sinks made of stainless steel. It faces out towards the family room and whoever happens to be sitting at the peninsula. When I redo the kitchen, I am definitely keeping it there, but it is hard to find a budget-friendly corner sink for an L-shaped corner. I can understand why people hate corner sinks that are tucked under a cabinet in a dark corner. That would drive me nuts!
  • renmck
    7 years ago

Corner sinks like the one in my kitchen are impractical...one person only can comfortably work at the sink, the window cranks are nearly impossible to reach...if you are luck enough to have them, and lastly, excess items stored under the sink are difficult to reach. I would not purposely put one in a new home or kitchen.

• vegasrenie
    7 years ago

After living in my house for a while with the corner sink, I found out a couple of things that are going to help me. One, I don't *have* to keep it as a corner sink. I want a granite composite sink (I had one before. Loved it!) and finding one in an L-shaped configuration is nearly impossible. If you do, it's breathtakingly expensive. Because I will be replacing the tile countertops with granite next year (yes, granite. I personally find quartz boring and overpriced and sealing the granite once or twice a year is not a chore), I found that I can get a single sink that will allow me to increase the functionality of that corner, and allow more room for cleaning large cutting boards, cookie sheets, large frying pans, etc. I will not be changing the solid oak cabinets, but will be brightening them up with paint. New cabinets and extensively redoing the plumbing just aren't in the budgetary cards. The main thing I don't like about the corner sink is switching the faucet from sink to sink. Splatter! Glad I don't have wooden floors in this kitchen! So I will have bright cabinets in my small, dark kitchen, granite/quartzite countertops, and a single bowl granite composite sink. At least that's the plan today.

• queeni1951
    6 years ago
    Auntthelma,
    What width cabinet is between sink and dishwasher?
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

18".

• hemina
    6 years ago
    We are short and had to use a bread knife to open the window behind the sink. We also couldn't use the giant triangular space behind the sink but that might not be an issue for you if you're not 4'9" like my mom! (I'm 'tall' at 5'2"). Our kitchen wasn't small and I think the sink was in its original location from the 50s, but if I had re-done it I would have moved it for sure. I suppose they didn't have blind corner and lazy Susan cabinets in 1950? And there was no cooperative dish washing happening...no way to have one wash and another rinse or fill the fill the dishwasher.
  • HU-859697915
    11 months ago

Old discussion but I am in so much pain daily from spinal stenosis I wanted to rant about corner sinks and horrible ergonomics. My back literally tenses up and my spinal nerves burn when using that corner sink. I constantly knock things over with my elbows because I lean way into reach the water and there's a 6 inch counter in front of it. An angle cabinet has to be set back deeper into the corner. Essentially you're reaching forward and down with the force of gravity on the dishes and pans your rinsing or washing and all the force on tensed back muscles. There is no way for me to use my sink without increasing pressure on my pinched spinal nerves. I curse the day I bought this horrible house with that setup and there's no way to change it easily. The developer messed up in 1998 by moving the kitchen and hodgepodging this old apartment building in Chicago.

• hbeing
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

i loved mine - counters on both sides and 2 corner windows to look out while i did dishes. plus the basil loved the triangle corner behind the sink --sunny.