Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rg740

Travertine?

Ryan G
8 years ago

Hi all,

Brand new to houzz, this is my first post. I'm sure someone on here can help. I am in the process of re-doing a bathroom and am trying to determine the wall/floor tile. Can anyone tell me what kind of tile/travertine this is? I took a sample to the local tile shop, and I was told that it is honed travertine. It has a very dull look and touch. It is also very smooth.

I have been told I need a bullnose/pencil line for the soap niche and to end the tile. Is this needed? I really like the clean look shown here. The house I am trying to model after has neither. I know they used caulk where the last tile meets the wall. Also notice how they did the niche. It is almost like the edges are smooth. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)

• Ryan G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I am definitely not a big fan of adding all the extras. Love the simplicity of just the tile. The edge around the niche must have been polished, correct?

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

It looks like filled travertine stone, not a ceramic tile printed to look like travertine. The filling of the little holes could be what makes it smooth. Talk to the stone/tile shop people and the installers about the installation details you want, including the smaller tiles on the floor, and the beautiful execution of the niche. Some areas have hard water that stains easily, so talk to them about sealing and maintenance, too.

Ryan G thanked apple_pie_order
  • Ryan G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I am for sure going to talk to them about edge details. As for the size of the tile, in my example, the wall tiles are 12x12 and the floor tiles are 6x6. I have been told 6x6 floor tiles are too large, due to having a pitch for the shower floor. On the other hand I like the floor to be half of the size of the wall. Is a 6x6 floor tile too big or is it okay to use?

Also-anyone have any idea to what color/style this Travertine is? Thanks so much again for the replies. I really appreciate it!

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

From what I know of travertine (which is limited). Real travertine is porous & may stain easily. You can purchase a ceramic or porcelain tile which gives you the look of real travertine w/o the possible headaches.

A honed travertine is especially beautiful & I don't blame you for wanting that look, however be aware that there are downsides to it just like having real marble. Yes your shower area will need to be sloped toward the drain & the tiler will have a much easier time with a smaller tile so do consider it.

The smaller tiles can appear to be a perfect match to the larger ones so do not just consider going with a larger tile just because of your math. You can decrease the size of the shower wall tiles if it is that important to you.

Ryan G thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

I have seen larger tiles in a shower floor application where the tiler has cut them to slope properly & they do not look good done that way.

Ryan G thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    Lisa Sandham Interior Design
    8 years ago

I don't recommend marble in a shower. Water will stain it. It has to be meticulously sealed. Special cleansers are needed. It is just too porous. There are many beautiful porcelain tiles on the market that give you the same look without the nightmare maintenance. They come in large format tiles as well so you don't have as many grout lines.

Ryan G thanked Lisa Sandham Interior Design
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Yes, Lisa is correct. We have travertine in our shower stall (but it isn't flat like yours, it has little holes and is natural looking). It is a nightmare.

Ryan G thanked visualizemaven
  • Ryan G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I can see where it could become difficult. I am looking at the honed/filled Travertine, so hopefully it would be better. I think I have decided on 4x4 or smaller for the floor. It will be simpler and will alleviate any headaches during the installation. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what kind of Travertine this is. To me, it appears to have a marbleized look. Anyone seen this kind of Travertine before?

• bbkieffer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have polished/sealed travertine in my shower. I did use smaller mosaic sheets on the shower floor and it is not slippery at all. I bought it at the Tile Store in Burnsville, MN and I want to say it was called Java. It had a coffee name of some sort. It has held up very well and barely needs cleaning! I recommend the polished

• bbkieffer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm trying to post a photo of my shower, but it's not letting me today!

• Ryan G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'd love to see your shower if you can post it. I also went to the Tile Shop, but I couldn't seem to find anything that matched what I'm trying to copy.

• PRO
    Cathy Claxton Design
    8 years ago

It's been a while since I've used this product. This looks like tumbled limestone. Any good shop that carries marble and limestone as one of their main products can tell you exactly what this is. If there is a Dal-Tile in your area they should be able to help but if they can't go somewhere else. If you find the stone you will be able to see the stone edges and then know what needs to be done to achieve eased and finished edges. I agree you do not need any trim pieces to finish this stone. Any shop will generally order a current batch sample in for you to see. They should reserve the stone for you until you approve the batch for purchase. Natural stone can vary in color. I would go to another stone and marble supplier, the tile shop you visited should have had a similar sample to show you. Samples are typically available. You mentioned that the shower floor is of concern and it should be. Your tile man is correct in suggesting you use a smaller format tile. There are ceramic and porcelain tiles that are for shower floors, for safety, cleaning, and also for the required slope. A stone and marble shop may even have the shown product in your photo in a 1" or 2" format. I prefer a natural stone, ceramic, or solid color porcelain to the porcelains that are colored and embossed to look like stone, but I am not sure of your look either. I would also suggest that you hire an architect or designer to produce a floor plan and elevations. If you can't do that then at least draw it out on the floor and wall yourself, hopefully you have a graphic eye. The layout and look of the photos you sent on this post will not help sell your house when you decide you need to move. The space looks a chopped up mess. Look at bath design books and also Elle Decor Images on line for bathrooms. Also there are many good sealers available and correctly sealing will be an important part of your project. There are also specific cleaners for natural stone, and those can help with maintenance.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    8 years ago

Hard to confirm from the photos; but it looks like Durango, filled and honed finish, it is a Mexican travertine.

• Debi MacKersie
    8 years ago
    Look on msistone.com and then click on travertine for lots of colors of travertine. As others have said, travertine is a natural stone tile, so it is porous & can stain. Honed & filled, like you showed in the picture, should be relatively easy to clean, but use the best sealer that you can so that you don't have to do it as often.
  • bbkieffer
    8 years ago

Ryan G I finally posted a photo above in my previous post. Good luck with your tile search!

• Karen Westerkamp
    8 years ago
    We remodeled our master bath 4 yrs ago and it's all polished/ honed/filled travertine. We haven't had any issues with it at all ! Love it ! We didn't tile the shower floor because I don't like grout on a shower floor with all the soap scum and grime. Wasn't sure how I would be able to keep that clean. Personal choice...
  • Ryan G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the replies! I haven't abandoned my post!

bbkieffer, thanks for getting your picture up. Your shower looks really nice.

This space pictured here is not my home. It is just an idea of what I want my shower to look like. (When the pictures were taken the home was being moved out of). I know it's dirty!

kwesterkamp, thanks for the picture. Your shower as well looks really nice.

I do think it looks similar to a Durango Travertine. It is definitely honed and filled. I will keep everyone updated. I will be going to different places and taking samples/pictures to try and hunt it down!