Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arielanine

Built ins weird location

Ariel
8 years ago

Hello! We just moved into a house - hence the paint stripes everywhere :)

We have no idea what to do with these built ins. They are in the dining area, to the right is the kitchen, to the left is the living room. We will not have a tv in this area. It's on a diagonal wall, hopefully you can tell in the 2nd pic. Any ideas? We could cover them altogether, change the shelving? We don't have anything that we really want to display.

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• Bev
    8 years ago

You could always turn the entire built-in into storage. You already have some doors and drawers and I would put doors on the big section that looks black (is that an empty spot?). You could use the open shelves for books if you do not have anything to display. The shelves would also be a great place to display family photos.

Ariel thanked Bev
  • Ariel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! The black spot is a giant, old tv the previous owners left behind.

• User
    8 years ago

I would just take it out if you do not need the storage. Have it dry walled and it will give you a space for some art.

Ariel thanked User
  • susan2494
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Who doesn't need storage in their dining area? I agree with putting doors on the larger spaces, maybe leave a couple open to stack colorful plates and cups. It would be a shame to drywall over it. With doors on the openings you can use for whatever that needs stored. If it is close to kitchen, larger appliances, even used as an extra pantry. Wow, you never close out storage.

Ariel thanked susan2494
  • User
    8 years ago

I do not need storage in my dining area, for one. Wow!

Ariel thanked User
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I'm sure you find lots of use for it if you put doors on the "tv" area. Looks like you have little ones and it would make a great spot to "throw" all their toys in when company comes. Also, you could paint it the same color as the wall when you choose a new color so it doesn't stand out as much.

Ariel thanked Angel 18432
  • jhmarie
    8 years ago

I would transform it into a built-in similar to those found in the dining room of old homes, similar to a built in hutch.

Ariel thanked jhmarie
  • User
    8 years ago

Even if you need storage in your dining room that storage is a bit much. It's kind of overwhelming. I thought it was a rec room at first. If you want to keep it though there are ways to make it far more useful. As Bev said turn the t.v. area into cabinets. Add pegs so you can put plates in sideways in the upper shelves. It's is definitely a useful space full of possibilities.

Ariel thanked User
  • Ariel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the problem is that it's such a focal wall, from both the living room and dining room, it's too much with all the cabinets and shelves. What about a ledge with cabinets underneath; then leave the whole top area open and recessed for a large piece of art? There is lighting so that could be left for the art. Something like this photo without any top shelves. I do like the idea of the bottom cabinets to toss kid toys in quickly. Thoughts?