Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kk1197

Need help revising this 7'3" cottage kitchen

kk1197
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Not sure if we can take out the partial wall to the left yet, but wondering about keeping the sink in the corner or moving to under the window - we are definitely moving the microwave to over the stove - you can't even see the fridge is tucked in a corner to the right

Comments (23)

• elainesteinke
    8 years ago

Not sure what your budget is, but crisp white cabinets would be great and keep the wood, this is a cottage and wood is king. I would change up the frilly curtains to something more streamlined like bamboo blinds. I think I would keep the retro light if it is in good condition. Lucky you a cottage!

Josie's Cabin · More Info

If you like more wood consider wood cabinets, too cabiney for my taste so go with your preference as there are lots of options

Whitefish, Montana Private Historic Cabin Remodel · More Info

kk1197 thanked elainesteinke
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Will you be keeping the cabinets or gutting the kitchen? If keeping the cabinets, paint them all one color. You can install an 18" dishwasher, too.

kk1197 thanked apple_pie_order
  • kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm thinking we gut and put in white cabinets. I definitely want to keep it rustic. I love all the wood but wood cupboards I think would be too much. I was thinking a white farmer's sink just not sure if move under the window or leave in the corner.

If the wall can come out thought this sit up area might be good.

Maybe the sink in the corner like in the pic below?

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

In your last picture, notice where the dishwasher is and how difficult I would be to rinse and load. Some people have corner sinks and like them and others don't. It depends on the view in the corner vs. the view out the window and how easily you can move from the sink to other appliances. Another thought is how many people woking in the kitchen. I know when one of my kids is helping we seem to run into each other at the sink so you may want to consider if two can approach the sink at one time if thats a possibility.

I love farmhouse sinks and have one being installed in a few weeks:)

I love that you have so many windows, though it cuts down on storage. Consider a pantry. If you cannot take the wall down, you might be able to make a pantry out of the area.

There are lots of cute cottage pictures on Pinterest.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

Moving the sink to under the window will definitely increase your working space next to the stove. You should then have room for a full size dishwasher to the left of the new sink. That might give you room to put a corner cabinet between the sink and stove with a blind corner pullout to take advantage of dead corner space. Good luck with your project!

kk1197 thanked katinparadise
  • lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- Can you show more views and also a sketch of the room and some surrounding room . If your planning on gutting then you should do it right and better . I think the layout can be better and possibly plan for more counter space and storage . And no corner sink !!

kk1197 thanked lefty47
  • libradesigneye
    8 years ago

May I just say that this architecture is not just "a cottage." It is "to-die-for" mid century modern architecture with the clerestory windows and the vaulted ceiling. You may want to search mid century homes - Palm Springs has a modernism event every February which celebrates this fabulous architectural period. Do lean towards contemporary lines and simple but long lasting materials as you move forward.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2115[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2115)

Cottesloe · More Info

Combos of white and wood (if you keep some wood in the house) are often seen in this genre to good effect

Venice Island Mid-Century Modern · More Info

great space -

kk1197 thanked libradesigneye
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I totally agree with Libra. MCM was the first thing I thought when I saw those windows and that ceiling.

kk1197 thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I gutted your kitchen. Sorry I didn't give you a sink, but I don't do plumbing.

• lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- @ groveraxle -- funny girl and a good gut job ! Yes , MCM is what I saw too and that is the direction I think you should go .

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    8 years ago

It wouldn't take long to get in a licensed and insured builder, architect or engineer to tell you if the partial wall removal is possible. What is on the other side of it?

• kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's difficult to show all views from my limited pics - the wall separates the kitchen from the dining room and just has the cupboards butt right up against on the other side

• kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you @groveraxle that's amazing! We do have a door to the right of the stove but that is great to see the possibilities!

• kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you @tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek - I tried to add of couple more pics of whole kitchen

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Aha, I see the door to the right of the stove now. I thought it was a window.

This is such a cute space, but it's small and needs lightening up. Go with modern flat panel cabinets, remove ALL frilly stuff, stay lean and mean here. If you can see your way to replacing windows, I would take them all the way up to the beam and all the way to the corner.

kk1197 thanked groveraxle
  • kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is that app you used to make the visual for me, something I purchase or is it readily available to anyone, so I could play around with it ? It's always so neat to see designers use those on HGTV. Thanks again!

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

A sink without a sink cabinet--don't try this at home--and your door without that foofy sheer:

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I'm using Photoshop Elements from Adobe--a cheaper version of Photoshop--but the learning curve is pretty steep. There is an app called Gimp that some people use that produces results that look just as good. You'll have to google it, but it's a free download.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

BTW, take a look at Ikea kitchens. The style and price are both probably right for this space.

Choice new kitchen gallery - Kitchen & appliances - IKEA · More Info

• kk1197
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much this is beyond helpful! Yes the curtains are going, along with the cupboards, stove etc. We don't take possession until early May but had a viewing this weekend to take pics and measurements. Thank you again!

• eaw 513
    8 years ago

How exciting for you KK! I second grover's notion to go to IKEA. We loved their kitchens when we lived in Europe and were disappointed when they were frowned upon back here in the states. They have fantastic organizational systems and the modern fronts are awesome. The price is right too. You are going to have a blast with this project!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus