Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_sherman62

metal roof and asphalt roof colors

D S
8 years ago
We are designing a modern farmstyle house. White house and narrowed the metal roof to dark bronze. What architectural shingle color goes best with dark bronze? I am staying away from brown..

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Driving around I have seen the dark bronze metal roof with a variety of asphalt colors, not just brown. In my opinion dark bronze doesn't read true brown..
  • D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    here it looks almost black
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

Still wondering why you are asking about shingles when you've selected a metal roof - do you mean to say you have 2 different roofing materials being installed!?

• D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes. We will have a metal roof over the front porch and a few other dormers but the rest of the roof will be architectural shingles. Thanks!
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

Would have to see samples of your chosen shingle next to samples of the metal roof.

• User
    8 years ago

Sounds fragmented and poorly thought out. Metal for everything would be a unifying design element.

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    8 years ago

Sounds nice. So many shingles will match with bronze metal. From Owens Corning: Amber, Desert Tan, Teak, Driftwood, Colonial Slate, Aged Copper. Similar colors from other manufacturers.

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sophie Wheeler: mixing shingles with metal occurs quite often, and particularly as D S describes with porch covers and awnings. I've seen one bad result of mixing a pitched metal roof with a flat, rolled asphalt roof on a renovation where the metal overlap came down so low to the rolled asphalt that the roofers replacing the rolled asphalt 20 years after the renovation couldn't get in beneath the metal overlap to properly seal the transition. There are lots of different roofing materials on porches. I guess it's because a lot of porches are add-ons and as such, tend to have low pitched roofs, for which regular shingles are totally unsuitable.

• D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    here is our elevation and a picture of some houses I love... going to attach samples below.. Rusty, you might remember my elevation from a previous thread.
  • D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The dark paint is for windows, light is for house. The paint can be tweaked. Also, weren't sure if we did charcoal shingles if the black metal roof would be too stark.

thanks!
  • D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    oops! Had two of the same pictures above. Here is the charcoal sample. In certain lighting the bronze looks darker and wasn't sure if the metal roof should be black for this combo.

If it helps: Our style is pretty mixed. Eames lounge chair, other Eames pieces, sputnik lighting, some reclaimed pieces, clean lines, modern artwork. We are hoping for the modern to show through in the farmstyle of the exterior.
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

Why not a steel roof for the entire building? It is a common rural building material, and it appears in a couple of the samples you posted. They look sleek and age better than shingles. If you want modern farmhouse that says it all. Or would you entertain another type of shingle. I've seen a recycled rubber (50 year) shingle that resembles slate and looks amazing.

• D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I wish I could do the entire roof metal but our budget doesn't allow for it. We are working with a builder and this is the design we are given.
    thanks!
  • User
    8 years ago

If budget doesn't allow for metal for the whole thing, do asphalt for the whole. Too often way too many materials are being used on today's Hollywood farmhouses. It is inappropriate and disjointed.

• D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We are going to stick with mixed roofing materials, thanks. All of the new homes in the neighborhood and a lot of neighborhoods in Atlanta have them and it looks great.
  • D S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This house a neighborhood over is gorgeous! Not disjointed at all! Maybe I will just ask them what they used.
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

I had to mention the 50 year rubber shingle. For a hi end home I would never use ashphalt shingles. For a forever home it will pay for itself when you have to reshingled in 15 years or thereabouts. These shingles never reach their proclaimed life expectancy. Best of luck.

Victorian Exterior · More Info

Kinderhook House · More Info
    http://rubber.euroshieldroofing.com/?keyword=recycled%20rubber%20shingles&gclid=CMDyodX3hswCFQmSaQodI6IHyA

• K T
    6 years ago

Hi! Can you tell me what shingle color you ended up picking with the dark bronze metal roof? I am going through the same decision right now and having a hard time deciding. Thanks!

• andersonhaleigh
    6 years ago

Did you end up using the bronze metal with your charcoal/black shingles? I am having this same dilemma now. I am using black shutters and a charcoal/basically black shingle, but I am not sure what color metal to use on our front porch and over our awnings. I originally thought to just do a black roof, but everyone seems to suggest a dark bronze over the black. I am just worried with all the black it may not look right. Any suggestions :)

• Bruce Swan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Same problem here... we are replacing our asphalt roof using GAF Ultra HD Charcoal shingles over a white sided modern farmhouse style and we need to pick the metal porch roof, and possibly gutters to match. As the others stated, black was our assumed choice but it's too limiting and stark. We were also thinking dark bronze but as you'd expect that color varies by metal supplier. Any suggestions? I'm in Atlanta if anyone has any suggested homes we should look at. Attached is what it looks like now... the new shingles with be a bit darker, hoping to have a dark metal roof as well, just not black.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

Plenty of shades, from the major suppliers, between brown and black.

• Carol
    3 years ago

For those of you that struggled with color choice for composite shingles and metal roof - would love to hear what you decided.? I'm thinking charcoal Timberline with dark bronze metal roof.

• Joanne Hulse
    last year

I have chose metal roof along with shingles for my roof. My two paint colors are near by Gunsmoke and Pueblo white Dunn Edwards.