Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl12z

Do my dinning Chairs match my Dinning Room and living room?

caligirl12z
8 years ago

The in store designer I am using to bounce ideas off recommended that I go with a chair that is more mid century and less formal to help tie the dinning room into my living room. Both rooms are unfinished but I would love to hear your opinions/suggestions.

Comments (27)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Like the chairs in your room. I think the issue is the dining table and chandelier. The brass just doesn't work in this room IMO.

caligirl12z thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are more pictures of the living and dinning room

please ignore the chairs in the picture above. I was just using those while waiting for the new ones to come in.

• caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@beverlyFLAdezigner, unfortunately the table and chandelier are there to stay. Personally I love it :), but would definitely like to hear why they don't fit in your opinion.

• Trem Wills
    8 years ago
    I love the mid century look you're going for. I think all your new pieces are coming together nicely. A sofa like the one shown with the coffee table you bought would be nice to tie it all together. The current couches are the only thing that sticks out to me. Good luck!
    caligirl12z thanked Trem Wills
  • Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    I like the table and light, but I suspect you need to bring in more of that finish in other sections of the room. That is probably Beverly's concern. What I see is a cool room with these two, isolated, warm touches.
    caligirl12z thanked Carol Singletary
  • Carolina
    8 years ago

I really like the chairs with your table and see that you have more touches of the brass in other furniture pieces, so I don't see the problem.

caligirl12z thanked Carolina
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i like the chairs AND i like the chandelier but together they feel they are the same odd angled metal bars. would rather they werent together.

a larger rug would help, chairs should stay on the rug when they are pushed back.

caligirl12z thanked Judy Mishkin
  • caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree @msteezzy. I know the couch doesn't fit but its sooooo comfy, lol. However,I will switch it out eventually. @Carol Singletary, I will try to bring in more bronze with a console under the tv and I have a bookshelf with a similar finish that I will put in the back of the living room at the bottom of the stairs to the 3rd floor. I do have some similar finishes in the legs of the bar and coffee table and will have the curtain rod be a similar finish, but I'm obsessed with that finish right now so it will come through elsewhere. @carolins thanks for noticing! Glad you like! @nnigrt I see what you are saying, thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input :) All of these suggestions are helping me gain more perspective. please keep them coming!

• Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Okay here's my take. The kitchen is dark. The tv room is dark (the furniture is). The dining room is light in color, lighting, and materials. I think that's why it doesn't seem to "fit in".

Now first off, I ADORE your lamp, table and rug combo! Gorgeous! Took my breath away! It seems like the chairs aren't a perfect fit...for that space or the spaces flanking. I love those chairs I'm just not sure they are right for the table.

What would you think about getting some chairs the same color as that cabinet along the wall? Looks like a deep red. Or you could get chairs in black (I assume the couch and kitchen cabinets are black?). I think that would bring some weight to the space. I also think you probably want chair legs that don't fight with the table base. That base is so sculptural and beautiful.
    caligirl12z thanked Valerie Gorman
  • PRO
    T. Archer Design
    8 years ago
    The chairs, chandelier and table look good together. It's the rug that throws it off for me. I don't think you need a rug in the dining area. A larger area rug in the living room would bring the look together.
    caligirl12z thanked T. Archer Design
  • caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all of the comments!! @T.Archer Design what size rug would you recommend for the living area? The length of the couch, the way it is set up now, is about 5'4 but i'm not sure of the distance from the back of one couch to the back of the other.

• caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Valerie Gorman, I see what you mean about the chairs fighting with the table base. I love the white chairs from High Fashion but they are outside of my budget :(. Do you know where the black chairs are sold? I tried looking on that safarimp website but they only seemed to have the table. Also, the couch is dark brown and so are the cabinets does that change your opinion on the black chairs? The couch will go soon. I think that will be the last piece that I change. It's so comfy...it will be hard with me to part with it. Thanks for your comments!

• lisa0527
    8 years ago
    I'd agree with others that the chairs don't really go with the table. Here are a couple from CB2 and one from Allmodern.

I also think you need to bring in some of the rug colour into the living room, which should be fairly easy to do with throw cushions. Are you thinking of adding a long, low media console under the TV?
    caligirl12z thanked lisa0527
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Your individual pieces are nice but the arrangement is not working. Can't tell if your room is messy or things just don't fit.

First, I agree that the rug is wrong for the dining table and that no rug would be the best for now.

Second, you need a long console under the TV. At least a long table to put under it.

Third, the liquor cabinet (?) is a great looking piece but totally doesn't belong on the wall where it is now. It seems to throw the room off.

caligirl12z thanked leelee
  • lisa0527
    8 years ago
    A rug for the living area that ties the DR and LR together would be great. All of these are from Allmodern.
    caligirl12z thanked lisa0527
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    I'm sorry I don't know where the items I've shown you are sold! I just perused the Internet for images I liked ;).

I'm interested in others weighing in on the color. If your sofa is brown then you shouldn't have black chairs imo. But if you get rid of or slipcover the couch then does it matter what color the cabinets are? I really don't know. Wood is considered a neutral. Perhaps the first step is to consider what your overall color palette is for your entire open concept area. It all needs to be unified. Do you have a color palette decided and if so, can you post it for us?

I found a few more chair images that might work? I'm looking at the shape in these images not the color or metals. My phone isn't easy to post with so I'll send individually with my thoughts. First one...would it be crazy to do a chair with a single post base? I'm just thinking about clearing sight lines and it sort of echoes the shape of the base a tiny bit with it being narrow in the middle and wide at the bottom. Don't know how easy it would be to get in and out of though.
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Second ones. These both have two things in common that I like. A rounded back to echo the shape of the table and thin legs that flare out in the back, maybe echoing the flare out of the table legs?
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Also, the ones just above, I like that the legs are metal not wood like in your set.

Okay last picture. Maybe this is overkill, but what do you think if this one? The legs really echo the movement of the table legs. And the seating would add some heft to the dining area. Might be too much though?
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Okay I'm sorry one more. This one might be just fabulous. I love the shape and the legs. Ignore the color and finishes.
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Snap that picture cut off the top of the chair. The top can't be missed...it's one of the best parts. I'll try again. Here's hoping.
  • Valerie Gorman
    8 years ago
    Here's one in the color of your kitchen cabinets maybe?
  • Timara Ware
    8 years ago
    A white contemporary chair would be fitting for the area.
    caligirl12z thanked Timara Ware
  • PRO
    T. Archer Design
    8 years ago
    I'd recommend an area rug that's a little larger than the length of your sofa so that the front legs of the sofa is able to rest on top of it.
    caligirl12z thanked T. Archer Design
  • Stacy Mixon
    8 years ago

I think a round rug would look nice. You should send those chairs to me, though. I'm sure you don't need them. :)

caligirl12z thanked Stacy Mixon
  • caligirl12z
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lisa0527, Thanks for the response! I've been looking for better options, but haven't found one yet. I like the style of the chairs you posted and have seen some of them but the problem is the height of chair. I will look into that black one. I am going to buy some throw pillows from west elm that match my rug for the couch and have some blush velvet ones from west elm now to help lighten the room. I do plan on getting a long console just haven't found one yet

Valerie Gorman, Thanks for all the help and options! I may just have to bite the bullet and get the highfashion chairs ( white and gold), if I can't find anything similar. I also liked this black and silver chair.

T. Archer Design Thanks for the response!

• PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    6 years ago

How about painting the table base black?