Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
william_huan

Wall colour suggestions for small consultation room

William Huan
8 years ago

Hi all! I am really a novice when it comes to interior design and I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding the choice of colour for the consultation room of my private medical practice. The two things that I can't change are the white to off white floor tiles and the room size, which is about 120sq ft. Unfortunately there are no windows to let in natural light. Currently the walls are painted white by default but I wanted to change it to a colour that would be inspiring ( since I'll be in this room up to 10 hours a day ) yet not too fatiguing for my patients. My furniture is mostly on the darker hues ( dark brown to black ) but I'm open to any suggestions regarding that as well. Many thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• Catherine O
    8 years ago

Hello

Here are some suggestions without the benefit of some pictures.

Wall Color: You can do the usual beige (more like a khaki), grey or white because of the dark furniture. However, I'm going to include some psychology to this and tell you to do something in the green family. Green supposedly projects good health and calmness. I like moss, sage, or something in that realm.

Added Suggestions:

1. Wall art of medical subjects pertaining to your specific medical practice on one wall. I like to hang things in odd numbers, so 3 or 5 of them depending on the space and what you find.

2. A nice plant in the farthest corner of the room. Try not to get the usual ones; do something different; and of course it could be a fake.

3. If you feel the floors are really bad, you can always add an area rug that is colorful and printed. Or a neutral one in a geometric print.

4. For lighting I would get some uprights to place in corners. I do not know what kind of lighting you already have, but a new ceiling light and sconces will add good light. If you have side tables, add lamps.

If you have a budget, I tend to find great deals at Marshall's, Home Goods, IKEA, local shops where you can haggle, and Amazon.

Hope all this helps.

Catherine

William Huan thanked Catherine O
  • William Huan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Catherine! Thanks for the speedy reply! Beige sounds like a really safe and versatile colour, but will it need lots of lighting to make the room look spacious? I'm not really a green kind of person but I guess it's because I associate it with mould and fungi, both of which I hope to avoid seeing in my clinic!

Currently I have ceiling fluorescent lighting but I can change it if needed. I'm wondering if having uprights together with the ceiling lights create too many unwanted shadows?

So far, I have no problems with the floor... just thought that it might affect the choice of wall colour somehow.

And I totally love the idea of having a plant in the room! Am already in the preparation of settling some of them in this new environment.

• Catherine O
    8 years ago

You can place less uplights. I was just thinking of the lack of windows and other medical offices I have been to where their ceiling light have made me feel like I'm on a window display. An uplight wherever you place the plant is a definite place if you decide to use them.

The wall color can affect the floors. You don't want a wall color that makes the floor look dingy.

William Huan thanked Catherine O
  • tooky58
    8 years ago

Imo a pale grey would be both relaxing and work with the flooring.

William Huan thanked tooky58
  • William Huan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cath: Am going to play around with the uplights around the plant area. It might make the plants quite the conversation piece! Any suggestion on what colour won't make the floor look dingy? As much as I love carpets/rugs but I'm afraid the use of them may not be suitable for those with dust allergies.

Took: Pale grey sounds like a great colour! I think it'll go well the furniture and the floor ( as you have mentioned ) But for the curiosity sake, what would be your opinion on something brighter like Soft Marigold kind of hue?

• William Huan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bese: The SW Sea Salt really looks so calm and relaxing! Perfect for my waiting area! No offence, but I think it'll be too calming for use in my consultation room though. Am looking for something that is able to spark creativity without being too gaudy.

• William Huan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pure: Wow! That's really ravishing!! I did consider using an accent wall but wasn't sure how the other 3 walls were going to compliment it.