0

Capilano Apricot in flowers and...2016

Figured we needed a new thread.

After a two year break the tree/trees are putting on a show again! Went quickly over there after work tonight and taking it all in, what a smell and bees heaving a blast.

Way ahead from last time when in 2013 they flowered May 13

South Tree

Honeybee collecting pollen

North Tree

Looks like a bald faced hornet working mine at home.

• mattpf (zone4)

Did you get any apricots up in Edmonton this year ? I didn't have hail one time it was a miricale year and didn't need heaters for the spring frosts either.

• norman ng (Calgary z3b)

I tried to ask Nichol Ruth to see if I can get Scion woods from their neighbor.... after abit of time I figured I shouldn't trouble her and subsequently removed my scions request on the facebook. An Italian Apricot seedling that survived Calgary weather for 10+ years is very exciting. Hope one of you folks can successfully get scions from them.

• hungryfrozencanuck

With regards to Nichol, what do you think about us interested individuals contributing to a "pot" of incentive money? Say each of us interested individuals could say what we are willing to chip into a pot (say minimum $20). Then someone local to her (norman ng, katie77q, mattpf (zone4)) could act as the contact person (probably should organize to have just 1 person contact so she does not feel bugged by a million people trying to get info.

Then that contact person writes up a letter to Nichol with a translation into Italian (I know someone who speaks Italian) saying that we have $X minus 20% to contribute to the owners of the tree in exchange for obtaining some cuttings (or could say pruned wood) in early or late winter 2017/2018. Then we offer 20% of the pot to Nichol as a thank-you for passing our letter on to the tree owners.

Should they accept we then each send an interact electronic money transfer (costs $1) to the agreed upon contact person (who could give out their e-mail address or make up a temporary gmail address just for this) who then gives the 20% + letter to Nichol and then the 80% in cash to the owners of the tree and gets the cuttings in the winter.

Depending on how much wood is obtained, we then distribute the cutting either to just Konrad + Matt +/- katie +/- norman (who then grow up the scion wood for cuttings to distribute 2018 or 2019) or if there is enough to go around 3+ bud cuttings could be packaged and then mailed to those who contributed (each individual covering their own shipping costs).

Yes a bit of work and rather elaborate procedure but it might encourage getting these cuttings released more broadly.

What do people think?

• norman ng (Calgary z3b)

Thanks for the suggestion HungryFrozenCanuck. I am not sure if I have enough credibility to be that contact person. It will be nice to have some horticultural society member to request this. Personally I don't mind to lend a helping hand to propagate this apricot specimen and share this species to the general far north fruit growers.

Katie, did you speak to Nichol on the phone?

A general question to the expert... is it true that apricot will propagate better with budding instead of scion grafting in the spring?

• katie77q

Yes I did Norman, and will be contacting her in March (not going to trouble her in the meantime.) Will let you know what we can work out.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta

Good...at least someone has contact now and we'll leave Nichol alone.

She probably regrets now showing these apricots...not knowing more people are more hungry then her over these, lol.

Norman...I know by now that Capilano scion grafts are harder to take then some others like Casino and Gabe's...been wanting to experiment with budding which I did last summer but voles destroyed them all..haven't done any more.

• Amanda Selene-Zone4b-Edm

My grandparents got some apricots this year (in Edmonton). They only planted their tree a few years ago. Can't remember what variety they are but the fruits were fairly small but good. It was their first year getting fruit. Last year they flowered but there was a storm.

Capilano apricot seedlings from the south tree, [best] will be available come spring.

Around $10 /per foot, contact koniilg@live.ca text 780 903 3882

• mattpf (zone4)

The harsh winter we had has killed off all flowering buds on my apricots. There is a few but the trees won’t truly flower with any of the quality apricots. Prolonged minus 30 this year and literally no chinooks.

• mattpf (zone4)

• ubro

That is too bad matt, your apricots looked wonderful.

Time will tell with mine..just starting to push..I know this from the past..prolonged cold temp. brings double trouble. Same with sweet cherries and. Matt, can you tell which cultivar faired better?

• mattpf (zone4)

A grafted branch photo just taken a minute ago this is either a capilano or Riley graft can’t tell until I see the fruits anymore.

M604 has a few flowers these trees bore heavy fruit 3 years in a row for me here a break is good now they can grow a bit.

Westcot is definitely more hardy with a few more flowers

Rileys and capilanos are not effected to much I can find lots of flowers on these grafts still. Much hardier but the fruit quality is not as good as the westcot or m604

• mattpf (zone4)

None of my apricots except some of the experimentals has any sort of die back.

• ubro

Here is the little grafted apricot I did last year. GabeA

Yes..I see some flowers on Gabe A also and Capilano...went to the mother tree tonight and maybe 50% dead flower buds..nevertheless, Capilano seems a champ..in hardiness and quality.

• hungryfrozencanuck

katie77q, did you finally reach our mystery apricot woman? Ideally see if she would be ok with someone getting a couple sticks of budwood this summer and then a couple sticks of scions this winter. Then Konrad, Matt or someone else could grow out some wood and then the rest of us toss them some $ for their time and shipping to get some wood in a year or 2.

Also, Matt and Konrad have given a reasonable summary of their apricot experience this winter. I'm wondering if people can just post a summary of what they are growing, in what zone and what their impressions of hardiness and fruit quality are?

Myself, I've now got:

2 types of Westcot from Matt

2 types of Riley from Matt

Sunrise from UofSask collection

Montrose

Debbies Gold

Casino

All grafted or planted in last two years so no real experience to contribute yet. All either grafted to an existing plum scaffold while the Montrose and Debbies Gold full trees are on Mustang root stock. Here in zone 4b (minimum temps -34C) but lots of snow last 2 years so not real test winters.

• mattpf (zone4)

Time to get my favourite thread going in 2018 :)

i visited the apricot trees in Riley park this past week and they also do not have very many blooms. They bore heavily last two years maybe just resting or wiped out from cold.

Has anybody visited the capilano apricots ?

Yes....I was there in bloom, not as much as last year but more then other trees to the north and the one in private garden, a little crop is expected...even at my orchard, Capilano seems the champ of all others, still have some blooms where others have nothing...like Casino and...

>>katie77q, did you finally reach our mystery apricot woman?<<

yes, got some but so far not hopeful, seems the buds were dead, at least the ones I checked....how does anybody else do?

Pretty sure Matt checked out this tree since I told him about...wonder if it flowered this year..probably most flower buds were dead.

• mattpf (zone4)

No I did not check it out Konrad.Not that interested in super hardy apricots. I’m more interested in ways of producing nice quality apricots in Calgary.

It sure looked like superb quality.

• mattpf (zone4)

Did anybody get any fruit ?

• norman ng (Calgary z3b)

My brother-in-law westcot apricot has zero fruit. In fact the tree trunk is oozing sap... so the bacteria canker has got to it :(

• mattpf (zone4)

I doubt it’s caused by bacterial canker. Sounds more like winter injury. Trees will ozz from this than become infected . If he treats the tree with an anti fungicide and anti bacterial all around the trunk and main limbs to prevent infection to set in that tree will likely heal. It’s whenyou just leave it. We had an excellent summer last year there is no reason to be infection unless it was from year prior maybe to late at this point and I’d recommend chopping the tree below the point of infection

• mattpf (zone4)

I have a few fruits this year not very many. It’s sad because weather was so favourable for flowering this year. I have one variety that produced absolutely no problem on a graft have about 25 fruits hanging. It showed no issues with this past winter even more hardy than my plums

Agree with Matt on the canker...trees get insured in winter, usually bark freeze to one side, same with plums and then oozing out from there...sometimes dries up and you're OK..sometimes downhill, if on a branch and oozing out I cut out. I only have two apricots growing, [Sunrise} which were pollinated/bred with Zard pollen.

• mattpf (zone4)

Apricots are one of the fastest growing fruit trees. I’ve done reasearch and there was a study done in Poland using a dozen or so varities. M604 (westcot is seed of this) was one of them. In growth this tree was fastest growing of all. Mine are huge after a few years now. I’ve seen mine heal cankers after I cut them out. They are resilient .A bit of coloured sap but this is normal due to injury but excessive is bad. I always remove the globs and scrub under with the copper sulphur mix. Keep the trunk and main branches brushed with copper and sulphur until warm summer days start and you’ll prevent spread of fungus. Use a paint brush or tooth brush and spread on thick . Cannot spray it at this time as it will kill the leafs . Only works dormant spraying . Good luck

• mattpf (zone4)

Also there is a chance he will loose the tree. The crappy thing is it won’t happen instant and he may think it’s ok for the next 5-6 years maybe even longer than it will die. During those years production will deplete fruit will be small branches will randomly die ect.. i always look for options like cutting the infected portion of the tree off. A big tree like his should come back in a year or two if he had to cut 80% of it off . If the cancker is at ground level the tree needs to be removed after all treatments attempts fail. I’d give it two years if it got worse chop the tree down start over and do things different.

I have a 15-20ft tall apricot tree I’m working on hard I won’t give up on. It was planted about 7 years ago and already this tall. If I could go back I would paint the tree and all it’s main branches white. I would also put something like a white coloured tree guard on in winters to keep the really cold wind chills off it. And I never would have used fertilizer in the first years like I did.

• norman ng (Calgary z3b)

My brother-in-law have decided to chop the tree below the sap oozing portion. His wife scrapped as much out the brown bark to the wood and spread some healing wound tar dressing. or should they do it now? There are some branches below the canker. Where do you get your copper and sulphur?

• mattpf (zone4)

Copper and sulphur are sold everywhere. Bourduex mix is what the copper is called .

It wont cure it but will definitely help prevent the spread of it. I would not have put tar on the wound just let it dry out and cut to the healthy tissue and let it heal back over the wood naturally.

• mattpf (zone4)

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/wound-sealer.pdf

Here is a a really good read on debunking tree wound sealers. I’ve personally never used them tried the black stuff once and it’s a mess for years after. It does have its place in the garden for grafting I guess

• mattpf (zone4)

Hey does anybody know about borers in Alberta. I have symptoms of borers on my apricot and one plumtree. Did not know they existsed in Alberta?

konrad you ever seen up there ?

Well...known for decades... common thing down south in the US, I've kept a lookout when trees were suffering/dying off, but with no visual sign of a borer/hole/frass, I was certain no such thing here. The conclusion was winter bark freeze damage to one side.

• alcan_nw

Matt: On "June 15, 2018, 10:14 PM" you posted that westcot is a seedling of m-604. While at the following pasted link westcot is not listed under m-604. (see "wescot" page 11 of 36)

http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/26/8/951.full.pdf

I received wood from Devon AB of gabe-c apricot which I got grafted to an existing apricot in Oliver BC. The results in production and everything but the size of this is amazing for considering how hardy they can be. For example has been growing lively under snow cover in Fairbanks Alaska for 3 years. It is also known as the mini-cot from Gabe for being more of a bush form. The smaller size of the fruits are not a negative quality as the skin of apricots are what you want for flavor.

I stopped quickly today at the Capilano tree, surprisingly are ripe and raided already...only a few up high.
    The north tree has dropped most, if you want to pick seeds for rootstock etc. still over a hundred to be picked.
  • alcan_nw

Great! I saved a couple hundred seeds from the Oliver gabe-c so I could use something for backcrossing in order to go forwards to fix for the bushier form. I love breeding as much as I used to with chinchillas as a child.

• mattpf (zone4)

Alcan I Mixed that one up And knew that it was scout x McClure as I have searched very hard for the McClure without finding anything on it.

M604 only a couple fruits this year :(

• mattpf (zone4)

Same tree but grafted 4 years ago this is either capilano or a Riley apricot. Super resilient that branch was loaded this year where all else failed. This is the hardiest apricot I have by far.

• mattpf (zone4)

Does anybody in Edmonton have any of the good capilano scions they could send me. I lost track of the grafts I did 4-5 years ago. or If anybody is going to collect some wood from the mother tree.

• FrozeBudd_z4

On that note, Konrad if it's possible, I'd like to buy a few scions from you of that best 'Capilano' apricot tree when I see you at the upcoming scion exchange.

Hmn...just checked my grafts..all new growth is black and dead, I shall see what I can find.
    The whole of February we had a 40 year low record. There will be some die back or total wipe out on tender wood..by about mid May we’ll know allot more.
  • FrozeBudd_z4

Yes, it sure was a long and bitterly cold stretch of weather and I'm pretty sure there won't be any blooms on several types of plums such as the 'Greengage' ... too bad, I sure love that one, got it from you Konrad, it's delicious!

• mattpf (zone4)

I would not go as far as saying you won’t get any flowers on the greengage. The green gage I have flowered and fruited last season and it was just as if not colder than this winter and much longer. Youre in zone 4 also I think there Is a good possibility your greengage will still flower. These are a fairly hardy European plum the ones I have in my yard are more prolific than mt royal is in our climate And that has been touted the hardiest of Euros

• FrozeBudd_z4

Well, I guess only time will tell for the 'Greengage', that brutal February weather had brought several nights in and around -40 C and that's a definite zone 3 rating, I might begrudgingly have to change my zone as listed here.

It might have been colder for you Matt last year in a single night or two but I’m pretty sure this February has had a record consecutive cold even for you which might bring some surprises...surly more factors come to play..like hardening off etc.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see my Greengage flowering also, ..like I always said, more predictable than Mt. Royal..this year I’ll start grafting it over.
  • mattpf (zone4)

mt royal is still a very nice fruit and if you have space why not let it be?

Calgary didn’t dip below -30 a single day in February. We did have many -20 days and a few were minus 28-29 . It was prolonged cold at those temps and looking today lots of my less hardy apricots and peach Grafts are completely toasted.