Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hly2002

Help me choose flooring, backsplash and paint color for charston countertops and white gloss cabinets

hly2002
11 years ago
Original vision: black and white crisp and shiny kitchen, with glossy black floor, white gloss ikea cabs, black galaxy countertop, black and white mosaic splash and white walls. Change of plans: smitten with charston quartz for countertops; seems to give a pretty dark appearance, but is flecked with dazzling cobalt and has lots of movement. Don't want anything else competing with the countertops, which will line a galley kitchen. Still want dark floor, but am being talked out of shiny black which shows everything - low maintenance very important to me. Wondering if I should pick up that blue in some way? How do I get a nice plain dark floor that won't show dirt, but won't compete "movement wise" (mottling or veining) with the flashy quartz?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    wow - hly2002 - is this your forever home? by commiting to the blue you are really limiting yourself to your colour palette. If this is your forever home - then go nuts, but if you want to sell it in 5-10 years, I wouldn't buy it because the countertops are blue. Its too specific a colour - and needs to be more neutral, like a warm dark brown or black.

Images of a more classic - timeless look for you to consider.
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I appreciate your thoughts, and I AM torn...but yes, it IS my forever home. And the counter does not appear blue - but wait, I'm confused - that IS the charston you have in the upper right hand corner - is that what it looks like installed, or are you showing me a more solid black?
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Some ideas for flooring...
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    more ideas for flooring (with charston countertop, zoom on Marie Hebson's swatch above for close-up view) ...cobalt slate reviewers say it is actually gray with a slight "blue mist" ..and it's laminate, but reviewers again say it is a breeze to clean and looks great. Picture of floor is an application of daltile asian black 12 x 18 I'm considering...
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    Hi hly Your countertop choice is beautiful and you won't go wrong with Cambria. What is the flooring in the adjoining rooms?
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    and finally...rustica black tile another flooring contender - others in the running for backsplash...
    perhaps plain black reflective tile topped with or striped with the blue liner tile?
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    here's a selection of blue liner tiles for using with solid black tile idea...
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    seems like my liner tile images aren't uploading :(
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Mary, flooring in adjoining rooms is a hardwood, medium brown in color...
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    Would you consider bringing the same wood flooring into the kitchen?
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No - I really prefer tile or laminate in the kitchen...
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think I might cut the mosaic cobalt blue tile I posted above in rows of just 1 or 2 for trim above solid black, or dark grey, or rectangular stacked mix (I'm one of the subway tile haters) black and grey...maybe just one thin stripe of the cobalt in the middle of the wall? (I'm tempted to say I'll
    use these tiles to spell out the name of my dog, just to get the re-seller crowd agitated! :)
  • User
    11 years ago
  • User
    11 years ago
    Ideabook about blue in kitchen
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/6288510

I think it's pretty versatile for accent colors - apple green, red, woods to warm up ( we have a white gloss kitchen with a lot of walnut accents)
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sam, thanks for your suggestions. I really like the white tiles - what kind are they? (stainless also a possibility, I will have aluminum open shelving above one of my cabinets)
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think this is the company
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    Kitchen & Bath
    Binghamton, New York, United States, 13904
    Phone: 6077482302
    Fax: 6073481460
    Web Site: www.SusanJablon.com

http://houzz.com/pro/susanjablon
  • hly2002
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sam, thanks for the great website - awesome selection, well organized, and easily navigated...