dirtygardener73

Repairing a Terracotta pot

dirtygardener73
April 22, 2016

I have a large terracotta pot that has a piece that was broken out of the top on one side by a reckless garden crew. That was after they pulled up and tossed away one of my baby bushes, mowed down my baby plum tree and cut apart my drip hose. But I digress.

I want to fix it by putting in some sort of form to hold the shape and rebuilding that piece. I have a few of the larger pieces that I'm going to try to put back in with Gorilla Glue, but still need to fill in that one missing piece that was shattered. I found some terracotta clay, but I'm not a potter, so I don't know exactly how to do this.

I imagine I need some sort of form to maintain the curve of the pieces that's missing as I rebuild it, but what material do I use for that and how do I keep the clay from sticking to it?

Also, some of the clay is peeling off the top edge. How do I fix that? TIA for any help you can give me. This pot was given to me by a dear friend who has since died, and I really want to save it if I can.

Comment (1)