Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlton_clay

Lawn care - overseeing and aerating

Carlton Clay
7 years ago
I moved into a nice neighborhood and didn't think I would stay here long, and now have one of the worst yards on the street.

I went to the local ag ext office and got a soil sample and am following those recommendations.

- used a preemergent in late winter
- used a weed killer like weed b gone in April
-13-13-13 in Mid May and June
-34-0-0 and urea in July and August
-also Going to use recommended post emergence in June

My question is, isn't it desirable to overseed (I think that's the right word) during this time? I mean, if you kill the weeds- what's left.

Years ago at another home I think I aerated before spreading out the seed.

Any tips suggested appreciated. I budgeted that I could go with a lawn service like TRU-Green this year, but after I talked to them, I didn't walk away confident. Seemed like they just provided a "one size fits all" service.

Comments (7)

• PRO
  • Carlton Clay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks- apparently I can't delete this post, eh?

• Carol Singletary
    7 years ago
    Tried to comment in the garden forum, but it wouldn't let me log on. If you have used a pre-emergent this year, it will be awhile before you can overseed. Check the label on the pre-emergent to see when you can plant seed without it killing the seeds. Where you live, and the kind of grass you want to plant, will impact when you seed as well.
  • Carlton Clay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks, I believe on May 1st, it will have been 60 days since I used that preemergent, and I think that is the guideline and when to plant new grass (after 60 days.). This is Bermuda grass in Arkansas by the way.
  • Carol Singletary
    7 years ago

Then I suggest you over seed with a good quality Bermuda in mid to late May. After that, when you mow, let the clippings fall and they will provide all the fertilizer you really need. Avoid overusing chemicals, provide infrequent DEEP watering, and cut grass a tad bit longer than you might have before. Bermuda will spread like crazy all on its own (especially into flower beds!)

• Carlton Clay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This may sound like a dumb question, but when one overseeds- how exactly do I get it in the soil? Aerate or rake? I mean- you just can't broadcast it in a spreader and it actually get in the soil will it?
  • PRO
    The Grounds Guys of Owensboro
    5 years ago

We like to Aerate and overseed in the early Spring (April) or in the fall (October/early November). Aeration allows it to get into the soil for ideal germination. Just make sure you keep the soil good and moist for about two weeks afterward. I'd follow it up with a good slow release fertilizer, as well. You will see some gorgeous green grass come Spring!

-Note, we are in the central KY area, so keep that in mind with the temperatures/timing.