Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wislawcat

Stainless steel TILE for countertop?

wislawcat
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are doing reno of basement going for industrial look black ceiling, track lights, black leather couch, red club chair wide plank vinyl (piece of flooring shown in pic below) etc.--there is long "L" shaped line of white cabinets for storage no sink or cooking prep Just storage and an undercounter fridge and microwave for popcorn (see pic). Need ADVICE RE COUNTERTOP - granite is too expensive and quotes for custom stainless steel are even more Are there any reasons we can't use STAINLESS STEEL TILE?? We would use brushed finish to hide the inevitable scratches and a black travertine bar tile for the edging. Dimensions are 153"x53" NEED ADVICE if stainless TILE is possible for this & pros cons, alternatives want to keep total cost to $25/sq ft installed or preferably less

Possible tile choices:

Comments (17)

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cabinets are standard 24"

• Jennifer Abbott
    7 years ago

you can use it for the back-splash but not the counter. if cost is an issue for the counter, use formica. or look for a remnant granite slab.

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Could you explain why stainless steel tile won't work on a countertop? I don't like the look of laminates or solid surface, I tried looking for granite remnants but around here it's still $35 -55 per sq ft and we need 33 sq ft almost a full slab so I couldn't find enough in same color. I found some gorgeous granite on Craigslist coming out of a rehabbed kitchen but the seams alone cost $125 each and to get the length we need it would be 6-8 seams plus transport, plus the cost of the granite. So that leaves some kind of tile. Perhaps granite tile is possible but I thought a smaller tile where the seams are part of the design element would be better than granite where the seams are an obvious cost savings so that takes me back to why cant stainless tile work?

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Can anyone explain why stainless tile can't work for countertop that is dry light use only?

• live_wire_oak
    7 years ago

It will pop off. It is for vertical use only. Use the laminate that looks like stainless, but even then, your budget will be very tight. $25 a square foot including installation is right at the bottom price range of a basic laminate. It wouldn't cover tile at all. Or an upgraded laminate.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Consider the IKEA laminate counter tops with the metal edging. Quite nice.

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will take a look

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not seeing metal edge just gray laminate?

• User
    7 years ago

You need to change out the traditional raised panel cabinets if you are going for a modern look. They clash with your vision.

• gustaruygers
    7 years ago
    How about concrete countertop. Industrial,..not sure of the cost though.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Concrete is as expensive as granite to get a good job. Sorry you can see the metal edge on the IKEA counters. Is this better for you?

wislawcat thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes cool

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry Sophie no new cabinets. This is an extremely tight budget renovation. The kids wanted some place to hang out. I was a chef in a former life and have tons of kitchen equipment for which I need storage that was filling up our green painted concrete block, painted concrete floor basement on home depot plastic shelves. Both kids will be in college in 2 to 4 years The basement is huge over 800 ft.² and includes a 24x15 sitting area where we had a nice curved black leather couch and exercise machine but nothing else.

So we started this project with two rules. Rule #1-- it's a basement and Rule #2--we have other priorities. We hit craigslist and bought every white cabinet we could find for $15- 50 without too much worrying about perfect matches. (Design error most likely but we are going for the white blend effect and following our rules. All of the pulls will be matching t-bars ) We got a steal on 2 modern seamless navy blue 83 inch cabinets that normally go for over $1000 each. These belonged to a Chicago broker who wanted to remove them from his Gold Coast condo because he needed a place to put his original Andy Warhol so his personal assistant-I'm not making this stuff up-threw them on craigslist for a total of $150. Add to this a red club chair and ottoman we picked up from a hotel renovation for $50, the GE monogram under counter beverage fridge which we got from C-list for $300 (retail $1300++) , 2 metal and glass "c" tables for $60 total from a clearance center, Glass top chrome base bistro table with Lucite barstools and white and black leather and chrome barstools-more C-list finds total $100 and c-list curved stainless track lights that alternate with the preexisting regular track lights $50 (another design flaw I am sure -- but see the Rules), the white glossy ikea Besta tv stand and cd cabinet (c-list $150 total) plus the $50 blue and gray c-list foose ball table and voila its (almost) done -- total cost $15k and we did NOT DYI this -- we hired painter, plumber, electrician and carpenter all that's left to do is the floor and countertop then move the furniture back in

• SO FOR ALL OF YOU SPECTACULAR DESIGNERS, whom I admire and respect greatly and rely upon for the rest of the house, I know IT MAY SOUND LIKE A HOT MESS BUT SOMEHOW IT WORKS or AT LEAST WE THINK SO so please don't burst our fantasy bubble. Attached are some pictures to give you an idea of what we are working with these are not the actual items just look-alikes. Once everything is done I will post before and after shots of the real stuff.

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a very similar couch to ours which is a schillig too - most spectacular $700 find ever at a resale shop . This couch new is custom made and sells for over $10,000.

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Valerie good idea on the local metal shops. We are working on that idea and are calling around.

• wislawcat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok you all convinced me that stainless tile won't work. What do you think of ceramic / porcelain tile some kind of black slate or terrazzo look alike so we don't face to seal it. Also what size pattern of tile. There are options of 24x24 down to penny round remember this is not a food prep area so we don't have to worry too much about grout