Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lornaehrenfried

Fireplace Remodel help with style and wall color

Kristin25 Lilg
7 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen in 2010 and now we would like to improve the look of our fireplace, which is in the adjoining 2 story great room. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what style of fireplace, but I am leaning towards a stacked stone pale travertine fireplace that will tie in with the travertine floor we placed in the kitchen.

Right now the great room is painted a faux red, which I love, but I don't see it working with a stacked stone look. In any event, any fireplace redo will result in repainting the room. So, I'm stuck on what color to paint it as well.

So, 3 questions really, would a stacked stone fireplace work in this room? If not stacked stone, what else could I do? If I do use stacked stone, should I repaint with a muddier colored red or switch colors completely? (This room faces a covered porch to the NE and receives indirect light.)

We also have this large custom made solid maple piece to the left of the fireplace.

Comments (24)

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    The arched windows seem traditional to me, and a stacked stone fireplace feels more modern or even rustic depending upon the way the stone is applied and the material of the mantel. The dark paint (any dark paint, not just red) makes a room with indirect natural light feel dark and moody. If you install the stone fireplace, I would suggest that making the whole room feel lighter and brighter with a lighter tinted paint in a color found in the stone itself would make the room feel more coordinated. You can always add some of your favorite color in accessories and art.
    Kristin25 Lilg thanked felizlady
  • Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    I would not suggest stacked stone over the fireplace. That area is smallish, stacked stone will overpower that space and will make that side look heavy. Perhaps you can do a couple of decorative trim boxes over the fireplace. One inside the other with at least a 3-5" space in between. Or you can replace the fireplace mantle with something a little more decorative then the one you currently have. Good luck.
    Kristin25 Lilg thanked Mary Rimmell
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is the view into the kitchen with the travertine tile to show what I have to coordinate with through a large archway to the red great room. The first photo is what can be seen to the right of the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Fancy's Folly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like the idea of the travertine stone as well...but not sure why you couldnt use a stacked stone of some sort....if you keep it in the same color family and combination as the kitchen floor...Im not sure the wall color works very well..if you'll pardon my saying so.....it appears to be a deep eggplant shade...kind of hard to tell on my computer....your furniture, cabinets..etc..seem to reflect a rustic, cozy feel...so you could def go away from the white rather formal look of the fireplace u now have..Another suggestion and this may have already been suggested...I havent read all the other posts... the kitchen and in fact all the walls of these rooms that appear to open into each other..would be very pretty if you choose a shade in the travertine that u particularly like...maybe a midtone or darker..and use this color on the walls..this would make things more cohesive...the darker tan in the travertine tiles would be beautiful..maybe even darken it a shade or too...and then accent with the dark red you have on the great room walls, if u like this color...use it as accent..rather than in such a large dose...there are so many lovely ways u could introduce this dark red shade...pillows...pictures...bric a brac...I would personally bring in some dark green also..dark green really acts as a neutral..its seen so much in nature....maybe a print of some kind with all of these colors... that blends with the print you have on the chair in the living room....it can be tricky...using two prints..but it can be done beautifully without clashing...

Kristin25 Lilg thanked Fancy's Folly
  • 111ideahound
    7 years ago

Honestly, I love the fireplace and mantle as they are. I even love this red but if I were to do anything, I would paint the wall behind that huge cabinetry something else to lessen too much of the red. Your house is pretty.

Kristin25 Lilg thanked 111ideahound
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The photo below is the type of stacked stone I'm considering, with a dark wooden mantel. This is the stacked ledges tone by Realstone.

Rimmell, I am wondering what sort of travertine fireplace you had in mind? When I search I find solid block travertine that looks modern.

Of course part of the problem is that with an open floor plan, when I change the wall color in one room, it creates more paint color problems for the adjoining spaces!!

• Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    I will look for some and see what I can find and email to you. You don't have to change the wall color with the travertine fireplace. You could also do a dark wood fireplace with traditional feel to it. That will tie in with you entertainment center. And even with your dark fireplace you don't have to change the wall color. Once again I won't recommend doing the stone that you have shown in image above the fireplace it will really not look good. I have attached two photos of an example for wood fireplaces.
  • Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    Here is some images of travertine traditional fireplace mantels.
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Rimmell, Thank you for the additional ideas! When you walk into this great room, the focus is on the fireplace. I'd like to improve it some how because I feel like my kitchen is so much nicer than this heart of my home. I do wonder if I should change to a different soft wall color like BM Powell Buff?
  • Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    I do suggest that you wait on changing the wall color until after you have done the fireplace.
    Kristin25 Lilg thanked Mary Rimmell
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Rimmel, I do like the look of the travertine fireplaces. Do you know anything about how the cast stone fireplaces compare to carved travertine?

The dark wood is really intriguing too! Especially if I could get a travertine surround and matching flush hearth. Would a local woodworker craft it I wonder?
  • Mary Rimmell
    7 years ago
    Hi. It all depends on the area where you live. Regarding both. If you where/are in MI I could help you with both searches. Regarding the wood fireplace mantel. Yes a good wood work carpenter should be able to make you a fireplace out of wood and stain it and install it. What you could do is search for custom cabinet builders. Some of them does other projects like fireplaces etc. if they don't. They might be able to connect you with someone who can. They are a close knit community. Or you can contact a builder in your community. They have good contacts as well. Interiors Designers as well. All of the above can assist with your search.
  • Elizabeth Z
    7 years ago

I like your current fireplace much better than the dark wood ones. I also like the red walls, but pale - colored walls would definitely give you a nice new, fresh look. If going pale, make sure that there's enough contrast so that the fireplace white color continues to stand out. If it were my room, I would try changing the paint first. It's much easier and less expensive and may give you a great new look. Also, I think the current fireplace looks so nice with your beautiful windows!

Kristin25 Lilg thanked Elizabeth Z
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Elizabeth, Thank you for your input! I appreciate the advice. Sometimes I wonder if it's just better to leave well enough alone. The problem is when I get up close to this fireplace, it's poorly constructed, the paint keeps cracking along the seams (I don't know if that's from the heat of the fire or it was not tightly fit together), the black granite surround is cheap and in tiles with uneven seams, and I loathe the fake brass trim. So, if I spend the money to correct these issues, I guess I feel obligated to change the style as well and that's how I've arrived at this place!

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

Oh, if you'd said this in the beginning I would be with you on your plans to change and understand your strong motivations for wanting to. If it bugs you, you should change it (fix the problems). Maybe it's just a matter of taking the mantle off and refitting it. You could paint the mantle and think about putting a wall of tile (I love mosaic tile) applied to go up the wall....I saw a picture like this on Houzz. I'll try to find it.

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

I found a few examples of mosaic and saw one that might suit your style.

Tudor Revival Estate, Full Home Design · More Info

Bedroom · More Info

Southwestern Patio · More Info
    This last one could be altered with putting the tile further up the wall and adding a complete mantle. I love this idea with your other furnishings and kitchen. It's more rustic, while the mosaic is a little more formal.

• creatureofchaos
    7 years ago
    I replaced the mantle and firebox in my house last year, and it was a ton of work to get what I wanted. So I understand the stress.

For what it's worth, I think the stacked stone would look out of place and would choose either a custom mantle in dark wood or cast travertine.

Dark wood mantle: You should be able to get any local woodworker to craft a stain-grade wood mantle with large corbels like those dark wood mantles. It's a probably the least expensive option.

Travertine mantles: They are also pretty affordable and look great, but cast stone is generally considered a combustible material (like wood) so you'd need some sort of tiling between the mantle and the firebox. This was a no-go for me because I wanted a traditional "open fire" look, but if you are keeping your firebox shouldn't matter to you. There are a lot of shockingly well-priced options out there (a couple thousand shipped); shop or ask around.

Real stone: Yes, it's definitely the most expensive option, but it was worth it for my particular project where I needed something made of non-combustible material. I ended up buying a floor model at a huge discount from Fine's Gallery in Florida and having it shipped across the country to me.
    Kristin25 Lilg thanked creatureofchaos
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ideahound, Thank you for the mosaic photos! That would be an interesting addition to the surround. I will have to look into what colors and style would work. Dies refitting mean pulling off of the wall? (Because to get to the surround, which includes the flush hearth, the fireplace pilasters would have to be taken up.) I suspect pulling it off the wall will cause structural damage to the mantel wood. So, then do I have another paint grade mantel redone? (So confusing!)
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Creature, I'm intrigued by your project and the thoughts that went into your decision process. Do you have any photos you could share? My firebox is ventless and measures 36". I don't think that space could fit anything larger, which is why I'm not changing out the box.

I'm adding photos of the other 2 walls in the room to see if anyone has additional thoughts about the fireplace and what would work best in here! There is a two story pale green foyer with dark stained newel and wrought iron railing that looks down into the great room. The dining room has grass paper wall covering and another predominantly red and green oriental rug. The pictures behind the sofa are a collection of green ferns. So, I'm having a tough time coming to a decision on this fireplace! I really appreciate getting all if these ideas. I am a possessed woman on a project at this point!
  • 111ideahound
    7 years ago

What a comfy beautiful home you have. I don't know a thing about mantle construction. Sorry can't help you there.

Kristin25 Lilg thanked 111ideahound
  • Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ideahound, you have inspired me to search for some beautiful mosaic tile for a new surround. I am beginning to find a direction I want to go. I'm still torn between a dark stained mantel or reconfiguring the white mantel by thickening the pilasters and losing the dental mold, which doesn't tie in with anything in the room. Or the cast stone look, like Creature also suggested. I stumbled across the stone fireplaces at Fine's like Creature used, and that's another interesting option! I take it that you are happy with your purchase, Creature?

• Kristin25 Lilg
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I ended up repainting my trim Simply White by BM and I had the painters spray the gold trim of the fireplace a matte black. Thank you for the feed back. It was the best fix I could ask for!
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago

I like the mantle white. Very pretty room. Glad you reposted your finished room!