Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travis_johnides

How can I rid lawn of this type of "clover"?

T J
7 years ago

Does anyone know what type of clover this is? I live on Long Island, New York.

Also, what's the best way to rid my lawn of it? Would spraying "Ortho Weed-B-Gon" be my best bet? I'm obviously looking to rid my yard of the clover, but not kill my grass.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Comments (18)

• yardtractor1
    7 years ago

Appears to be run of the mill white clover. Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis Killer works pretty well on clover.

• T J
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, yardtractor1! Does everyone else agree?

Also, can I purchase the "Ortho® Weed B Gon® MAX® Plus Crabgrass" instead since it treats clover?

• j4c11
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Weed B Gon Max will wipe them out.

Edit: "Ortho® Weed B Gon® MAX® Plus Crabgrass" has different active ingredients than "Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis Killer". Both products will do the job well for clover.

• aluvaboy
    7 years ago

I used the 2,4-D with trichlophyr from "domyownpestcontrol.com". Their 1 gallon concentrate cost $76.09 and will wipe out all broad leaf weeds including the above shown clover. They also sell the 1 quart container. I mix 2 ounces per gallon and add 2 teaspoons of non-ionic surfactant per gallon to provide better adhesion of the weed killer on the weeds. In one week all the weeds are gone! If you have a large yard, it is more cost effective to buy the gallon container. My yard is one acre. I use a 14 gallon tow behind boom sprayer to apply the weedkiller. Since it has its own electric pump, applying this is very easy.

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

That is Dutch white clover. The tell tale whitish ring forming a circle through the three leaves gives it away. Other plants that have clover shaped leaves, but are not clover, do not have that ring.

• Julian 6A
    7 years ago

I've also used the Ortho Nutsdege Killer with good results.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    7 years ago

Why is everyone so anti clover. It's the one weed I can live with. Looks nice.

• j4c11
    7 years ago

I thought clover looked nice too, until it wiped out about 100 square feet of the grass. I have little tolerance for weeds these days given the amount of time, effort and money I put into the lawn.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    7 years ago

Are there some grasses that coexist better with clover? I overseeded with clover a few years ago and it hasn't caused issues. It doesn't seem to take over the grass in my experience.

• yardtractor1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I understand that fescues do not do as well as others in a clover mix.

• mdstamen
    7 years ago

Clover makes nitrogen. Did you fertilize?? I think your soil is lacking nitrogen and the clover is taking over.

And did you use a per-emergence this spring?

Clover takes a few applications to remove.

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

After mowing clover it responds quickly to create new leaves. Those leaves create shade on the ground and on the grass underneath. You have to have some tenacious grass down there to tolerate the shade put out by the clover. It can wipe out clover and even St Augustine.

• T J
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@mdstamen, I didn't have a chance to use a pre-emergent this Spring. However, I do fertilize 4 times a year. I use Milorganite.

• mdstamen
    7 years ago

Pre emergence is the first step in having a good lawn. This step will stop all seeds from germinating. I do not know where you live, but fertilization at the right time is important.

Milorganite, is in my opinion one ofthe best fertilizers for the Homeowner. The UMBC has even stated that it also acts to repel Deer. Not fully though.

Turf Trust is also a great product also.

Hmm if you go to http://www.turftrust.com/ . Scroll through the pictures and you will see my lawn, which has a shed.

But, remember 50 years ago people did not fertilize they used clover to add nitrogen to the soil. Grass and clover lived in harmony.

Clover is a bite to get rid of. Any, Weed killer for the lawn is usually OK. You may need a few applications. I like Weed Beater Ultra.

Now after all this. Reseed in the fall. Not in the spring.

• gloriavino
    3 years ago

keep the clover. it fixes nitrogen and makes your lawn greener. it also provides food for pollinators and other animals. killing clover means introducing poisons into your yard that can harm children, pets, pollinators and your neighbors.

• kitasei
    3 years ago

Why on earth get rid of it?! I special order Dutch white clover to overseed my lawns! It fixes nitrogen so you won’t need to fertilize and is a great look! It used to be included in the best grass seeds until the chemical industry came up with weed killer for lawns that couldn’t spare clover. A lawn with clover will put you in the company of much more sophisticated gardeners..

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

My observation is that clover takes over the lawn if you have a stressed area, where maybe there was some fungal attack. Now you have an odd looking patch of clover where your lawn should be. I have KBG which needs a lot of nitrogen. No way a bit of clover is going to provide enough.

I have found the key to getting rid of it is to have enough soap (spreader sticker) in the solution of Weed B Gone CCO. Clover has little hairs on the leaf that prevent absorption and the soap breaks through this. The manufacturer says you don't need the soap because it is already in the product but I've tried it both ways and it works a lot better with the added surfactant.