Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_johnson64

Need suggestions for back splash with Ella Cambria

Carolyn Johnson
7 years ago

My kitchen is a full remodel and I want a clean white/gray look. The cabinets will be white. I am partial to subway tile but don't like the glassy look. My husband wants something solid with as little grout as possible. Any suggestions?

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    7 years ago

The cleanest look is to run your countertop up the backsplash.

Carolyn Johnson thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • Carolyn Johnson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think you are right, but that may be too expensive. My daughter has subway tile that has a special crackle finish that she had to special order. She is trying to look back in her records and find the exact tile. Would you be familiar with this?

• janecalle
    7 years ago

Oh, and Walker Zanger makes beautiful ceramic subway tile with many finish options. They can get pricey.

Carolyn Johnson thanked janecalle
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Fireclay makes beautiful crackle tile.

Carolyn Johnson thanked smm5525
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I would not use a crackle finish at all IMO that finish takes away from the quartz , how about a soft gray large format subway tile like 2 x8 with matching grout . fewer grout lines and the gray grout will stay looking new for a long time

Carolyn Johnson thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    7 years ago

I would choose a solid gray that closely matches the gray in your countertop. Don't and another shade of white. I, personally, would not choose a crackle finish. But do look for tiles that have a very flat surface and very square edges. This will decrease the amount of grout necessary, and it will be less noticed. Also, choose a grout that drys to a color as close to the tile color as possible. Maybe look at larger size tiles.

Carolyn Johnson thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • zizi zoubek
    6 years ago

We had the same delima with our Ella: we didn't want the backsplash to take away from the beauty and subtlety of the look. After we had the countertops installed we cancelled our faux white brick tile backsplash and just did a 4" of Ella with a large piece behind the stove. We only used the brick tile and Ella together at the bar.

• Shelley
    4 years ago

@Carolyn Johnson, What did you decide? Will share photos? I am trying to select a backsplash to go with Ella now.

• hope002
    4 years ago

Can I see a close up of your Ella countertops. Debating about this or brittanicca. Thank you!

• Sharon Sahs
    4 years ago

Shelleybell what did you decide for backsplash? We are having the hardest time with Ella

• cameronaw
    3 years ago

I am considering Cloe Tile in white for our Cambria Ella. I will post Cloe samples next to the Ella once it is installed. I love Cloe but it may be too busy and I may go with simple white beveled subway instead.

• Shelley
    3 years ago

I am buying a home through a builder so I only had certain tile options but I really wanted a herringbone backsplash. I chose Dal 2x8 color wheel 0190 arctic white. I thought I liked Cloe but I also thought it might be too much especially with the herringbone pattern. There was another tile I liked at Arizona tike that was slightly larger but I don’t recall the name. Sharon Sahs, I’m just now seeing your comment now. Sorry for the delay.

• Shelley
    3 years ago

Sharon Sahs, Are you able to share a photo? My home has been delayed so I won’t get to see mine for another several months.

• Sharon Sahs
    3 years ago

Shelley Bell, yes absolutely.

• Sharon Sahs
    3 years ago

One more...

• cameronaw
    3 years ago

Thanks so much. It looks very pretty with a pure white backsplash. I think the Cloe tile might be too much.

• Sharon Sahs
    3 years ago

Cameronaw, thank you!

• Sharon Sahs
    3 years ago

Cameronaw, post pictures when your backsplash is done...would love to see it. Thanks!

• Shelley
    3 years ago

Sharon Sahs, Thank you for sharing the photos. It looks great! I love your kitchen faucet.

Are you trying out different pulls?

• Sharon Sahs
    3 years ago

Shelley Bell, thank you. Yes we are trying different cabinet pulls...been stuck on that now. The faucet is polished nickel but I really don't want polished nickel pulls because of the finger prints and constant cleaning., so not sure what to do...

• Amy K
    2 years ago

Sharon Sahs, thanks so much for this thread and the beautiful photos! I was in the same boat, loving the look of Cloe but wanting something more white and less busy to go with our soon-to-be-installed Ella. You've convinced me. I'm going to order the same tile you have!

• Sharon Sahs
    2 years ago

Amy K, you are welcome. We still love our backsplash. I think you will be happy. Post pictures once you have it installed...would love to see! I also think you will love Ella too. We love ours!

• Amy K
    2 years ago

Hi again, Sharon! Do you know which variety of the "You Don't Snow Me" you have? There's one with just that name alone, one that is matte, and one that is opal. I'm thinking the opal matches best with the Ella, but I'd love to know what yours is because it's beautiful.

• Sharon Sahs
    2 years ago

Hi Amy. Thanks for the nice comment. Of course the one we have doesn't say if it's just "You Don't Snow Me" or "You Don't Snow Me Opal". It's definitely not the matte. My husband is calling tile place now to try and find out. I will let you know...

• Sharon Sahs
    2 years ago

Amy...the tile place said we just have the regular "You Don't Snow Me" in polished. It is a bright white shiny tile. I hope they are right...I don't remember Opal. I hope this helps! Send pictures when yours is all done!!!

• Amy K
    2 years ago

You and your husband are too kind to call and find out! Thanks so much, internet stranger. I just ordered it. 😊

• Amy K
    2 years ago

And yes, I do think they are right. I got to see the opal in person and it looked much more sparkly than it looked online. Polished it is!

• Sharon Sahs
    2 years ago

Amy...that's great. I know you will love it. Glad we could help:)

• Amy K
    2 years ago

Thanks again, Sharon! Our backsplash just went in, and we are loving it. Forgive the wonky lighting (and the yet-to-be-painted cabinets), but I was excited to share some photos with you. We are now Cambria Ella + Tongue in Chic You Don't Snow Me twins!

• Sharon Sahs
    2 years ago

Hi Amy K. Thank you so much for the pictures...it looks great. I love it! That's funny...we are Cambria Ella and Tongue In Chic twins now:) I know you will be happy with you decisions. We are struggling now with tile around our gas fireplace. It's never ending...

Thanks again for the pictures. Post more when you are done...would love to see!!!