Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Help me redecorate The Forgotten Room (aka my family rec room!)

rebeccamomof123
7 years ago

This is our family room. It's been The Forgotten Place. We redid our kitchen, dining area, living room and main floor bath. This is more of our casual/comfortable rec room. The rest of my house is whites/blues/greys with a Cape-Cod nautical feel to it. This room is still stuck in Y2K with its red couches, etc. It's mostly where my tween kids hang out, but it's a central part of my main floor with no door on it (which I prefer since said tweens hang out in here) so I'd like it to flow off the style of the rest of the house.

Please excuse the laundry basket and dog gate:

Again, please excuse basketball hoop on doors..it's removable. Life got in the way of staging.

I've thought of re-orienting the room by adding mantle & relocating TV to this wall on teh exposed brick, which I love (it's the back of the fireplace in the last photo):

Here are my conditions:

• All furniture can go (couches are going to their final resting place in the basement)

• Rug must stay (though I'm open to layering another rug in the sofa area.)It's a speckled grey and the only rung in the house. I wanted the room comfortable to throw pillows on the floor for kids movie night, etc. Rest of house is all hardwoods.

• I'm NOT paining. The walls were just painted about 2 years ago. Color is Benjamin Moore Marina Grey.

• House is a Cape Cod and I'm partial to farmhouse/New England/nautical styles and colors (blues, whites, greys)

• I know it's missing a coffee table. We never replaced it because it was glass and 2 years ago my 4 year old at the time jumped through it, a shard of glass went through his foot and he severed tendons to his toes...hence, no coffee table anymore. I'm open to adding a coffee table back. Just no glass. Ever again.

Here are my questions:

• How would you arrange furniture in here?(I'd love white twill slipcover style, is that crazy with kids?)

• Curtains or blinds?

• Would you put anything on this ledge above our closet, on the ceiling? I'd love to put a model sailboat..is that too hokey?

Here is the adjoining room, to give you a taste of how the flow is from the rest of my house - and a more accurate reflection of my decor/taste... The entrance to this room is to the right of the fireplace built ins...just out of shot. I can try and get a better picture tonight..

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery