Double post.

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm just making sure I'm not out-dated,these 2 rooms is about 9 years old
    Thanks for all ur advices ,really helpful
  • sunshine home
    7 years ago

In my honest opinion they are a bit dated, especially the curtains. But if you like we can help you update it!

• libradesigneye
    7 years ago

Jack - a warm white fabric with a bit of a red graphic ikat print on it in drapery form for both rooms would do a lot.

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Do you have examples?
  • kristinanadreau
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

a general comment. I like the colors chosen, but there seems a little too much brown, so it seems heavy/dark/warm. How does it feel to you? The palate seems good for winter months. How is it for you in the summer months? Especially too many bulky brown wood furniture pieces. plus tan walls and tan tile floors. Suggest you go out and check out some art galleries and try out some original one- of- a- kind paintings that attract you. make arrangements with the gallery owner so you do not have to purchase in order to see what works for you in your home, only fully invest after you have fallen in love with several pieces. these paintings will be your guide. your selections will tell you what you really like. You may be surprised to see what you like most.

would you consider new more colorful upholstery on your dining chairs? I love the red sofa, so what ever other choices you make, I would keep it. Could you use some lighter slip covers on your comfortable lounge chairs in your living room? Do you have storage space so you could change your area rugs during the summer months? There are some beautiful blues that would go nicely with natural flax/linen textures/shades and fit nicely with the red sofa. The beige of natural linen would feel much lighter while remaining in the brown family of colors.

the vases on the tables and candle sticks seem too large. Do you have some smaller artifacts that you have collected over time that have meaning for you? A leather box or a very shiney brass something that you picked up while traveling. Perhaps they can be displayed. I personally do not care if things are "dated" if they are what you like. for myself, I would get a different glass and metal coffee table and eliminate all artificial flowers/plants. I would replace the table between the 2 lounge chairs with something round and not brown wood. could be wicker or iron. Paint the walls a shade of ivory or white. I would use simple linen curtains, either natural or white. I would use sisal rugs during the summer.

do not concern yourself with being dated, as long as you are comfortable. Do you like to sit and read or watch tv in these rooms? when a friend comes by, do you automatically sit at your dining room table with a snack and a beverage? Best luck Jack

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's our Christmas room we name it,and everything we buy to change it a little tend to be in the same colors:)
    I got those rugs from my country a while back they are like a treasure to me since I can't afford handmade here in the states.
    And it's too hard to replace a real ones I call them with hand knotted
    But it looks like I have to,
    I love the coach and the style it's just ad I think everyone agreed on its too heavy especially during summer.
    But I will change the drapes and vases
  • libradesigneye
    7 years ago

I like your rugs - they are beautiful. I think lightening drapery will help - let me see what I can find that is available commercially . .

• 2badkittens
    7 years ago

I think the 2 pictures are to high. I do not like them placed side by side. I agree the window treatments need replaced. These rooms need some sunshine.

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sure
    That's what I feel sunshine
  • 2badkittens
    7 years ago

Ok I have a few other suggestions. Living room: If you can not afford to replace the drapes you could remove the swags. Buy a new rod. A large one with decorative ends. I would only use the pink panels. Hang them straight, no tie backs That would make a big difference. The picture over the piano is to big. I would choose a smaller one, hang it on the lt. of the piano. I would place on the piano a large decorative Vase, sconce, ect... on the rt. ( You could repurpose either the 2 candle sticks or the vase that are on the table). You need a splash of color in those 2 rooms. (the same color, maybe a shade of blue or purple) New pillows are needed. I would keep 2 of the large pillows and replace the other 4 pillows. (keep 2 of the new pillows the same size as the original red pillows and the other pillows size 2-inches smaller) I would try to pick out 2 pillows that have a light cream background and use a splash of color in the pillows. Now pick 4 pillows (2 for the sofa and 1 for each of the stuffed side chairs. Be sure to have your splash of color and the matching red in these pillows. Remove all of the Knick-knacks, vases and silk flowers. The table lamps are out dated. A book of beautiful pictures would be good on the coffee table and a serving tray would look nice. Your furniture is very nice!! In the dining room your furniture is beautiful!! As I commented before the pictures are to high for my liking. I do not like them placed together. You might try steeping them down. Just drop the one on the right down 5 inches that may help. I would take a lot of the china down. It looks to cluttered. (remember it's just my opinion) I would replace the chandler. One that hangs down further. Since you have 2 lovely formal rooms, I would check out some crystal chandlers. I would take off the vase and candle sticks. If you use a crystal chandler I would place a nice crystal bowl in the middle of the table. I would also take the greenery off of the china cabinet. I have reupholstered chairs before, it was very easy! You might think about reupholstering the dining room chairs. I would try to use the red and blue on the chairs.

Well these are my suggestions...... I am not a decorator.... so this is not a professional optional....... :)

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like your opinion
    Thanks a lot
  • Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What color for the chairs??
  • Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And the drapes are green and cream there's no pink
  • 2badkittens
    7 years ago

I would use the cream. I am going to see if I can pull a few things together for you :) I'm glad you like my ideas!

• 2badkittens
    7 years ago

Hello, I did check out a few things. First I would go to a big fabric store that has a wide selection of upholstery materials. Make sure you take a pillow from your sofa (to get the right color of red). Most large fabric stores will have a list of people that do sewing. This is to insure you get the exact size of pillows you want. You could also buy the same fabric for the dining room chairs. I would have solid pillows that pull out a bright color in your fabric. I am going to give you some examples at the end of this text. If you can afford to use down stuffing in the pillows that would be great! Down will last a long time. You will be able to just fluff them up from time to time. Most people that work at these stores are very helpful!! Going to a large fabric store can be overwhelming!!

I really love to shop online at Wayfield and Overstock. Both of these stores have wonderful Chandlers for your Dining room.

When redoing a room/rooms I think all the ceiling and walls should be painted a shade lighter. This will make your rooms feel clean and much brighter.

Here are a few of the materials I liked (They are ready made pillows).

Wayfair: Overstock:

BRSD3643 15890604

(Pull out the Blue) (pull out the purple)

TBPZ2838

(Pull out the lt. blue)

ALCT3664

TBPZ2954

Hope this helps you a little! Good Luck!!

• Jack Habashy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks a lot
    Tons of help,you are great
  • 2badkittens
    7 years ago

Please let me know how you do. I would love to see your end results. The fabrics I picked are to my liking. You and your family may like something totally different! And that's fine. Please don't be afraid to try your style. When you go to the fabric store you may want to buy a yard of 2 of your 2 favorite materials. You can try them in your rooms. Drape the fabric over your sofa, wrap it around one of pillows, or try the materal on one of your dining room chairs. Remember to stand back, how does it look? Try the other piece of fabric. Look at each in the morning light, afternoon light, and also evening light.

It takes patience to look for the right colors/patterns. Good Luck and have fun! !