Shop Products
nushelu

What is a cantaloupe crossed with an Armenian Cucumber like?

Has anyone crossed a cantaloupe or other muskmelon with an Armenian Cucumber, or vice versa? If so, what do they look, smell and taste like?

I'm considering growing Armenian cucumbers in the future, but I'm pretty sure they'll cross with my muskmelons if I do. Since I save the seeds, crossing could be an issue. I just want to know the traits of this cross.

The kind of Armenian Cucumber I want to grow is the Metki Dark Green Serpent Melon.

FYI: I grow all sorts of muskmelons (and I want them to hybridize with each other; I'm just not sure if I want them to hybridize with an Armenian Cucumber).

FYI: Armenian Cucumbers aren't cucumbers. They're muskmelons.

• 7 years ago

Cool. So, did they have no sweetness whatsoever, or were they just not as sweet as a cantaloupe? What was the mature size/weight and shape and flesh color like?

• 7 years ago

Did you save any seeds? I've got the seeds for the Metki Dark Green Serpent Melon at last. I'm considering growing it with my cantaloupes next year.

• 7 years ago

It was many years ago and saving seeds worthless.

Half cantaloupe sugar is quite bland. As you are I was collecting melons and diverse pollen went on Armenian or from. Shape was often elongated olive.

Flesh color was thin pale orange quite rapid softening. Edible but not tasty.

Melons are bee pollinated promiscuous breeders. Mixing them all they will return to selected against features such as watery flesh lower sugar, bad taste and textures. If you are hoping to grow something pleasant you will have to narrow your breeder pool.

There are combinations that are delicious at F1 such as most cantaloupe x most inodorus (i.e: canary, gallia). Buying the best you can pick at the market you get the seeds and a good melon to eat.

• 4 years ago

Well, I got an accidental cross with an Armenian cucumber, this year (the cross-pollination happened last year, of course)! It's Noir De Carmes x Metki Dark Green Serpent F1. It turned yellow-orange and was fragrant when ripe (it smelled good). The immature fruits looked just like Metki Dark Green Serpent, except shorter and ribbed. The fruits started turning white, eventually, and then ripened to the yellow-orange color. The texture was pretty good (not mushy and not super firm; just kind of meaty). The taste really surprised me! It started with a cantaloupe-type taste, sweet and good, but then a second or so later another flavor burst into my mouth such as I had never experienced in a muskmelon. It's hard to describe, but it was really good, and kind of savory at the same time. The shock of the second flavor is kind of like the shock of a hot pepper with delayed heat. It was intense. Very unique. Anyway, lots of flavor. I like this cross. I'm guessing the varieties you used were different, and that may explain the differences.

The plant developed two fruits (about a foot long each). One is still ripening. I wonder if it'll grow more after I harvest the other. I plan to grow F2s next year.

• last year

Your last comment on melon x Armenian cucumber was 3 years ago. Have you since been exploring this cross?

Mokinu thanked HU-915019771
  • last year
    last modified: last year

No. I haven't. Melon-wise, after then I had been focusing on honeydews, but I didn't grow any muskmelons, this year. Mostly just tomatoes, wonderberries, and peppers in the ground, and spring radishes and a few super late watermelons in containers. I probably won't grow this cross next year.

One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County