ludmilafromto

We bought a fixer-upper - should we invest $$ before the real remodel?

ludmilafromto

We bought our 'forever home' last month and we plan on remodeling the entire house - including new drywall, kitchen, bathrooms, and adding on a 10' extension on the back of the house. My question is, should we put any money into the house before the actual remodel? The common advice seems to be that you should give your walls a fresh coat of paint, and that makes sense if you're going to live with what you have for some time to come. We are planning to live in the house in its 'as-is' state for 3 years before we start the expensive remodel. Any advice? Should I bite the bullet and dish out $2-3K to paint it, or should I save it for the remodel or other things that might come up. (It might be worth noting that we plan to start a family before the 3-year mark, and our previous home was our never-lived-in-before condo which had new everything. This'll be an adjustment for me :).