Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edandlucy

HELP!! how to style living room?

edandlucy
7 years ago

I have brown leather couches (2x 3 seater's and 2x single seater's) which are my hubby's choice, I love the Hamptons look with duck egg blue, navy blue, white & natural linen.

How do I tone down the brown and soften the look? I would love to add some chrome and glass but I am not sure if it would look any good! I need to purchase a coffee table and we would like to build in white bookshelves where the dark book shelf currently is (and doesn't fit!) Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (7)

• K
    7 years ago

you could add some curtains even if you do not use them. It will just soften up the look and take the eye to the window instead of the sofas.

edandlucy thanked K
  • edandlucy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love, love, love the the coffee table, side table and lamp you suggested, and painting the back of the book case is such a neat idea, Thank you!

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    7 years ago

You need to start pulling in a light accent color....maybe doing a coffee table ottoman which you can bring in a new fabric to coordinate with new pillows, artwork and accessories.

edandlucy thanked Annie Santulli Designs
  • susan2494
    7 years ago

Yikes!! so much brown and so much leather. And so much furniture in a small space. How do you get in and out of seating area? Not sure how much room you have for any end tables and a coffee table. End tables are going to further block entry into seating area. Coffee table should have at least 18-24" around the seats.

I would move out the bookcase and just put some art on the wall. You have too much furniture now do not add more. If you have room for 1 end table, you need a lamp and perhaps a floor lamp in corner for add'l light. You can add pillows to soften all the leather, do velvet or furry for texture. 3 on sofas and 1 on each chair.

If you want to hang sheers keep them light (I don't see windows, only shutters)

• erinsean
    7 years ago

A glass coffee table would look great in your room and I think the white bookcase will liven it up....match the shutters. Also the idea of a floor lamp and some of the end tables shown above with some blue in the pillows and ceramic pieces will look great. I am thinking when you get the accent colors in your room you will love it.

edandlucy thanked erinsean
  • mandy_moo_pants
    7 years ago
    If you don't need that much seating and could use one of the couches somewhere else, I'd relocate the couch in front if the windows to another room and put the 2 chairs there. You could flank your windows with decorative curtain panels in one of those lovely shades of blue you mentioned, and have much more room for that coffee table you like and a table for between the two chairs with one of those ceramic pieces. Also, I don't know what's behind the sofa facing the windows, but might you have space for a sofa table?
    edandlucy thanked mandy_moo_pants