0

Best Climbing Roses for Rose Hips?

maggiepatty

I live in Central Kentucky, Zone 6. I'm interested in providing more food for wildlife in my suburban yard. I would like to plant two climbing roses on trellises in front of a west-facing brick staircase.

Preferred colors are apricot/oranges, yellows or dark pinks but since I'm growing them for the birds and chipmunks, color is secondary.

Thanks for any recommendations.

• Valrose FL Zone 8b

Hi Maggiepatty. I'm hoping that you get many answers to your question. This type of question is best when you hear from a number of people. If you don't get a large response, you might want to repost in the "rose forum". It is a more active forum .

The roses that I know that can be grown as climbers and produce a lot of hips and are within your color range are Latter, Buff Beauty and Bishop Darling. These three are very healthy roses that will not needing to be sprayed .

maggiepatty thanked Valrose FL Zone 8b
  • mad_gallica

If you are growing rose hips for birds, the hips need to be quite small. That is why feral multiflora is such a hit. I grow R. setigera, which is a native relative of multiflora. There are multiflora hybrids, but you would have to ask which ones provide good bird hips.

maggiepatty thanked mad_gallica
  • Valrose FL Zone 8b

mag_gallica, good information. Didn't know the part about hips needing to be small. According to help_me_find there are male and female plants for R. setigera and both need to be present for hips. Also it says that this rose is a once bloomer Do you know if this information is correct?

I grow a multiflora hybrid called Abigail Adams and though it is not usually called a climber, I have it growing on a fence and seems quite willing to climb. It sets tiny hips like and crazy and blooms several times a year, do you think that this would be a good recommendation to provide bird hips?

maggiepatty thanked Valrose FL Zone 8b
  • mad_gallica

The bit about there being male and female setigeras I've heard before. However, it certainly doesn't agree with what I've seen. It is possible that setigera isn't self-fertile. It is a once-bloomer, being the latest of those that bloom here. It starts in late July, and if the summer is particularly hot and dry, will stop blooming until the fall rains. It supposedly isn't an easy rose to hybridize with, but there are a collection of early 19th century American cultivars.

Oh man, that is a blast from the past. I still know that rose as 'The Gift x Sweet Chariot'. I don't know why it wouldn't be a good rose for birds, but who knows where you can get it currently. In New Hampshire, it was definitely a small, mounded rose.

• maggiepatty

Just wanted to update and say that I've decided on Frau Dagmar Hastrup roses for the hips, although they are not climbers. I saw them at the Chicago Botanical Garden recently and the hips were so gorgeous. I'm going to put them in a different spot so the form won't matter.