Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elham_yunus

Need help with living room interior ideas!

Elham Yunus
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As you can see from my photos, my open living area is quite tight. My walls are white and light timber-look tiles for flooring. Always wanted feature curtains and my curtains have got shiny grey texture along with black velvet patch work. Which are of course quite Moroccan Style. For a bit of pop-colour, i decided to go with deep red couch and matching vases. Recently i bought the sheepskin rug to add a modern touch. Need to know if all the above colous work well and what colour should i go for cushions and what kind of art work can i put up on the dead walls? If i go for a feature wall behind my TV, it might get a little over crowded isnt it? Need help! P.S I got 3 gumballs to add extra seating space without making it look too crowded. they are grey, turquoise and dirty yellow in colour.

Comments (27)

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    Oh dear, you have lots of different styles going in there. Get rid oh fake flowers they're so not cool, sheep skin would be better on armchair or next to your bed , doesn't belong in this room. You should go for a very large light colour rug to lift the room a bit . You have some strong colours in there so the rest should be restrained. would be good if you can hang your Tv on the wall, it's very big for the unit it's resting on. One of the ottomans would be enough, keep the yellow one put the other ones elsewhere. You could do with one armchair if you think you need it but maybe in black leather . There are lots of Moroccan style mirrors on line , I think it would be better than busy artwork and maybe a large B&W abstract poster or print.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    PS it's hard to imagine the rest of the room from your photos but if you could swap sofa and TV unit . I think sofa would look nice against light coloured wall with a black framed mirror above it.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Rug example
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    More rug ideas
    Elham Yunus thanked KK1000
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Temple and Webster are having a sale.

• Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I knew it! After i bought the rug, I wasnt really sure if it fitted in well... any idea what colour rugs? Also hanging the TV is a very good idea and will go ahead with that ... i am thinking of a plain rug rather than printed ones as it might look tooooo busy ... what do you think?

• Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

my husband really wants to buy an accent chair and put it where the gumballs are ... i am just thinking it might get tight and access to the backyard might be become a little hassle, ( the curtains cover up the door that leads to the backyard) ... he wants black leather ones ...

• LouieT
    7 years ago

A larger entertainment unit would balance the large tv & a coffee table matching tv unit in black or timber might reduce the mix of styles.

If an accent chair is introduced could it go on the open side or move the sectional sofa towards this end to allow for it? A large rug to tie it all together would be better & it could be plain or a modern berber style like the one oskuee posted first.

Cush · More Info

La Maroc Blanc Rug · More Info
    If you keep all three gumballs then add a couple of cushions in those colours to the sofa & separate them...not all in a row.

Elham Yunus thanked LouieT
  • Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the idea of longer TV unit! Dont know why I didnt think about it before ... I am looking at a couple of rugs and fingers crossed I find one soon! How about a Light blue big rug?

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    Light blue is probably wrong choice, look at Houzz at living rooms or type in red sofa and you will find out what other people are using and what works best , don't rush, plus the rug should be at least 2 x3 m in size. When you're buying a rug make sure that you can take it back if it doesn't work, I take 5/6 rugs home and try them and I return ones I don't need or all of them.
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Could you lose vase and move to unit there so can fit red sofa where blank wall is and the chair your husband wants and coffee table - would that give you a better passage way?? I don't like tv on wall hurts my neck craning yo look up. Love the feature curtains
    Elham Yunus thanked girlguides
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Some pictures on Houzz. Some may not fit your culture, but try to look beyond that for ideas. Put the ones you like in an ideabook on Houzz, soon, so we know your taste better. Just click on them to enlarge.

I think a light rug such as Oskuee put up, is a good idea. You don't want the room to get too dark.

Buckinghamshire Residence by LLI Design. · More Info

Maxwell House · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Bridge Street Residence Family Room · More Info

Elham Yunus thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

The Art Apartment · More Info

House in Redding, Fairfield County, CT · More Info

Greenfield Hill Residence · More Info

Bridge Street Residence Living Room · More Info

7 years ago

Nantucket in So Cal · More Info

Living room · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Eclectic Asian Fusion · More Info

West Side Craftsman · More Info

Elham Yunus thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Tribbletrouble / love the colours in image 4
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Elham yunus - I think tribbletroubles image no 9 would work in your living space if you move couch forward and have passageway behind it
  • Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all for the tremendous help! Yes will definitely settle for light coloured rug. I am going to return the sheep skin and try out few others and see if they work. Will keep you peeps posted. I have an L shape door behind the sofa which is the passage way to the backyard ... hence cant move the TV to the other wall .... also i will have to drag all the power points to the other side which can be expensive ... loving this discussion and generation of new ideas :) sometimes you need to look from a different perspective to get better ideas :)

• Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i might try and see what hubby thinks about switching positions of TV and sofaaa .. thanks girlguides!

• Elham Yunus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alright .... so here is another sample rug for trial ... hubby really likes these kind of patterns and thought of giving it a shot ... what do you guys think? I am thinking to take away the yellow gumball as Oskuee said ... once the rug is finalised, will get cushions .. P.S Ignore my leopard print throw! its toooo cold now .. Brrrrr... and it is quite not possible to swap positions as i would need to pull down a TV cable and also its a large L-SHAPE door behind the sofa ... i really need to change my interior lights as well ... makes the place look very dull!

• PRO
    Simple Style Co
    7 years ago

Petunia Rug · More Info

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    Hi again , I understand that your husband likes this kind of rugs but try to go for geometric pattern not floral, and it has to be much bigger than that my guess is that what you have is 1.6 x2.3m you need double size for the rug to make difference in the room. And keep the yellow ball get rid of dark ones, you some bright colour in there. Look for Bokhara pattern in rug (I probably misspelled it.)
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    All this rugs are from AU rugs,huge selection choose the size first in your case 200 x300cm and go for light colour without medallion in the middle it looks more spacious.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    And this
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I was just looking carefully at yor photo and noticed that your ceiling is darker colour . If this is your place you would benefit from repainting the ceiling same colour as you walls , maybe 1/2 strength.
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    Would you consider replacing the curtains with some roller blinds. A more modern look, and do not cost the world.
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Nice rug