FIND PROFESSIONALS
blairalexandra

Real or Faux Plantation Shutters

blairalexandra

We are moving into a new house at the end of July. Real wood plantation shutters along with all of the other window treatments (excluding drapes) are going to cost $8,300. This is a lot of money! Are real wood plantation shutters a must? What are the pros and cons?

• Bruce Crawford

I have real wood plantation shutters and love them, but mine are stained oak. If you're going to have yours painted, I don't think it matters. The pro is the stained oak looks great. The con is mine are 30+ y.o. & I'm going to have to have them refinished. The sun has taken its toll on the outside of the vanes. If you get other than wood, make sure it's a material that can withstand the exposure, especially if they're on south or west facing windows.

blairalexandra thanked Bruce Crawford
  • blairalexandra

Thanks Bruce. We are going for a slightly off white color. We live in South Florida and we are facing West so they will definitely have a lot of exposure.

Plantation Shutters.....Faux or Real Wood?

I'm no longer in the Northeast, but I used to be. Real wood shutters are doable, but will require more maintenance and even with being maintained won't last as long as faux wood. As for the color, if you are doing all of the shutters it doesn't necessarily have to match the trim. You could pull a color from your roof shingles/tiles as they normally have several colors or from the siding depending on what type of siding it is. Pulling a color from the roof though is a great way to bring a pop of color to your house that is well incorporated and doesn't look out of place.

Plantation Shutters for dining room

the shutter panels need to be the same size /dimension for both windows. thus however many panels it takes to cover each window is the number that it will be. I guess if the windows are significantly different in proportions, that the shutters may need to extend past the window. in that case, the window trim on the window sill will need to extend past the window to be even with the shutters on each side.

Blinds and Plantation Shutters

Consistency works best, but you can add a darker color to the study with panels.

Bamboo shades or faux wood/plantation style blinds?

Sunnybelle, Duettes are pleated shades made by Hunter Douglas. While many people like them, I find they look like paper shades at 1000x the price! They do have other benefits such as insulation, and if going with blackout they have a tight fit, but unless you go with sheer ones, I am personally not a huge fan of them. Another option with woven woods, is a top-down/bottom up shade which will give you the privacy on bottom, but you can also open them to let light in from the top...you're usually able to go both ways though so don't feel stuck that it will always look like that. See below:
  • Candace Bailie
    I have the faux wood type and here's why: we used to have wood, but when the window was open in summer and it was humid we experienced some warping. Shutters are expensive, and I didn't want that problem again. Min are white and I am very happy with them.
    blairalexandra thanked Candace Bailie
  • chloebud

We live in Southern CA and the home we bought almost 3 years ago is full of plantation shutters. They're wood painted a soft white and were at the top of our "pro" list for the house. We live in an area with lots of oak trees, and the shutters are fairly well protected from any hot sun. We love the shutters...the louvers are all 3.5" which seems to work nicely for maximum light.

We have an attached garage, and the previous owners had the shutters installed in the garage since it has a window that faces the street (garage door faces the backyard). We like the continuity with the shutters in all the windows across the front of the house.

blairalexandra thanked chloebud

I am the plantation shutter hater on this forum IMO they are expensive , heavy looking ,block 1/2 the light even when open block the view and and I have no idea what the facination is with plantation shutters in the US I have been removing them from homes in Canda for the last 10+ yrs for exactly the reasons i give.There are so many other options for windows

blairalexandra thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chloebud

@blairalexandra, aside from price, have you looked at the pros and cons for wood vs faux wood shutters? I'm sure there are pros for the faux wood that might help with your decision. Either way, I think you'll be very happy. One thing I've discovered for sure, they're much easier to clean than any type of window treatment with fabric.

blairalexandra thanked chloebud
  • Ann

I have faux wood shutters (11 years now) and I love them. They were still quite expensive so I only used them in some rooms like bedrooms. They are wonderful in bedrooms because the bottom half can be closed always and the top half can be open for light during the day. Takes about half a second to open and close the top half. But, with the bottom half always closed, no problem if you need privacy to change clothes during the day. I didn't want wood due to possible potential warping issues.

In other rooms, I used various Hunter Douglas products, like Roman Shades upstairs and Roller Shades in the walk out basement.

All in all, it was a very expensive moving in project, but all are working perfectly after 11 years.

blairalexandra thanked Ann
  • leelee

I have had faux blinds -- they yellowed and got brittle. Now I have wood shutters. No problems. Love them.

Something you could consider is plantation shutters downstairs and wood blinds upstairs. They look very much the same from the street.

Another consideration is that faux wood is actually heavier than real wood--that could be a factor if windows are rather large.

blairalexandra thanked leelee
  • chloebud

Another plus, whether wood or faux, is shutters can add to the value of your home.

@leelee...you're so right about the blinds looking like shutters from the street. It took me a couple years to realize our neighbors have blinds in some of their windows. The entire time I thought they were shutters.

blairalexandra thanked chloebud
  • blairalexandra

Our house is about 2,800 Sq ft. Lots of windows. Our final quote on the faux shutter is $6,950. For the real wood shutters he quoted $8,300. These prices also include wood blinds and honeycomb shutters for numerous rooms. The shutters are only going in the living room/kitchen, dining room, and guest bedroom. Are these outrageous numbers? Should I shop around more? Thank you for all of the help!!

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

Get three quotes.

• Ann

I don't think that sounds outrageous. Probably very ballpark.

Leelee, I'm so surprised your faux shutters yellowed. Ours look like and work like they were installed yesterday after 11 years.

• chloebud

Ann, I think leelee was referring to blinds yellowing.

blair, I would agree those quotes are probably fairly ballpark, but getting one more quote might be a good idea.

• Ann

Oh yes - Chloe, you're right - she did say blinds.

• shars55
    I have painted, white wood plantation shutters and I love them. They let enough light in, and if you need more light, you can always open the whole panel. I don't like blinds, but I wanted something that I can adjust the amount of light coming in. I am not a fan of dust gathering drapery, either, although, I do have some panels in my bedroom to soften it up a tad on the large wall I have there. My shutters are 8 years old, and still look great! Patricia, most people I know love shutters....but we are just Americans, so maybe don't know any better. I think the prices you were quoted, Blair, are pretty much right on.
  • chloebud

Blair, let us know what you decide. It's going to be pricey but you will simply love having them. I know for sure their value was added to the cost of our house. They can provide as much privacy as you like, or open up a room to look light/airy, and, in my opinion, often larger. My mom's living room looked about 1/3X larger when she removed drapes and installed shutters. The improvement was truly stunning.

• livinginsb
    I loved mine, white, large louvered, faux, easy to clean and operate. But that entire room had an abundance of light coming in so it worked very well.
  • lolamom

Patricia Colwell: why did you comment in this forum if you are "the plantation shutter hater" ? Maybe you are removing them all over Canada because it's freezing up there and drab most of the year...you need all the sunlight you can get! All the Canadians flocking to AZ and buying up property left and right seem to love the plantation shutters...in fact, it's a selling point for many homes...because: they're durable, timeless, and keep the sun out (excellent insulation) when closed and let the beautiful vistas in when open. Had mine in my previous home for 15 years...and they looked gorgeous, always. Not cheap, true. But by the time a "consultant" gets ahold of you, has you buy multiple treatments (blinds, panels, valances, cornices, ad nauseum) for each window, the cost for shutters makes sense. Americans have a "fascination" for quality, and they don't mind paying for it! Alexandra, go for it...you'll never regret it.

• cpaul1

I, too, do not understand the fascination with plantation shutters, not my thing, I don't like shutters of any kind. I did 2 inch faux wood blinds in both of my last two houses and I really like them especially for the price. I would say, like with everything in your home, the price point of your house should dictate a lot of what you do. The more expensive your house is, the more spending money on the things that people will expect at that price point makes sense.

• Bruce Crawford

I have had stained oak shutters in my FamRm for 32 yrs. Love'em. Room has 65" TV opposite windows. Can get virtually glare-free watching game during day. I can reach over my shoulder & flip the blades/vanes w/o having to fumble for strings or twist rods.

• shars55
    Some of us love shutters, some of us don't. Just like everything else....we all have different likes....thank goodness!! It would be so boring if all our homes looked alike. I have had wood blinds in previous houses, and they were fine because I didn't have a lot of money back then and they weren't as expensive. But when I bought this house, I wanted shutters and I have to say, I absolutely love them! I also can't stand having something like drapes or Roman shades because they aren't adjustable as far as the amount of light they let in. It's all or none, and I hate dark, closed up houses and I don't want the sunshine ruining my wood floors and furniture. I agree, Bruce, I hate fumbling with strings and twist rods.
  • qam999

In humid South Florida, I would expect that a stabilized MDF shutter would perform better than actual wood. If you want a paint finish, no need to go with wood.

The prices given don't sound outrageous, assuming a quality manufacturer and competent installer who will stand behind his work.

Sponsored Story
Pristine Acres
Pro Spotlight: Unearth a Backyard Made for Your Outdoor Lifestyle