Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dev18

Crazy wall colors?! Hubby says looks like kindergarten :-0

Rochel G
7 years ago
Hi,
So this is a new construction home and Therefore a blank slate. I really wanted to do orange in my dining room and I chose Benjamin Moore raspberry blush which was depicted on their BM website as a "deep orange with a lick of pink". Trust me I deliberated over many shades for a long time but decided to take the plunge and paint my whole (large) dining room this shade. Now to be fair, the baseboard, trim and crown moulding are not up yet, but I kinda got faint hearted when I saw the room:-0 In addition to that, in the adjoining room (formal living room) I had the one wall (which faces the DR) painted a dark plum, thinking these colors are far away from each other and do compliment each other any how, but they are fighting like cats and dogs. Too much color and my hubby says it looks like a kindergarten. Also they painted the wrong grey on the living room walls which can be changed but I'm realizing that I don't like the raspberry blush with cool grey , I think it needs a warmer color to compliment it in the adjoining room, plus I'm wondering if I should use a more creamy shade for the trim and not dove white (BM) as I had planned to. How do i make this all work?! Sorry for the rant!!!(ps - the yellow you see is the only part of the old house that remained and that room will be painted a different color plus there will be French doors separating)

Comments (86)

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Ok, I just went to my color deck and your Dining room color is really a very bright , warm coral color. Not raspberry at all! Stupid name for this color. So I would say it is very current. Most any wood floor will look good but especially a dark one. Your crystal chandelier will love this color and I'm wondering what your furniture is now. The trim will be fine. Balance this with some cream or natural linen fabrics and I think it will be stunning.
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    I tho k it looks good!
    Did you think so?
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do like it! I'm just getting used to it I suppose:) attached is a pic similar to what my china cabinet looks like. My chairs are a dark wood Queen Anne style, which we will be probably swapping out for a larger set, and my living room furniture is yet to be purchased! I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what the French doors should be? Stain the wood? Or paint in the same color as the trim? Thanks!
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Just a glance that it's a large opening where your French doors will be ?

If you have some dark furniture, or elegant pieces [and it's not a historic house, or is older part?] -- I'd keep lighter look with doors in trim color.

• PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    7 years ago
    I like the colors & they are NOT dated!!! Darker colors are returning, so you'll be ahead of the trend!!! Next time though...do not take orders from the painters.
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Not a historic house, it was originally a 1950's home but most of that is gone. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with doing the living room over in the Edgcumbe grey. I like the idea of the doors in the trim color also. I think that will also lighten the room
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Happy to hear I'm ahead of my times!;-)
  • er612
    7 years ago

I love your bold choices. I would repaint the yellow but leave everything else. This is SW Argos (though colors on screen are rarely accurate)...

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't paint anything until you decide on your floor and they finish the drywall.
  • er612
    7 years ago

I'd start with some rugs or art to guide the rest of your choices. Here are some bold rugs from Dash & Albert that might tie the rooms together (though I'd probably get a simpler rug in the dining room).

• Tess Wakefield
    7 years ago
    Love dining room color. Do not like living room color.
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Did y'all figure out?
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So I really love the idea of vanilla trim but I think it will look more cohesive overall if I stick with the dove white since I'm doing that in the other rooms. I already told them to take away the purple wall , I do like it but I'm worried that if I keep it that once we move in it will never get taken care of if I end up hating it and I'd rather be safe than sorry. But you're right everdebz I do wear that plum color a lot, in fact I'm wearing it now! lol , and er612 those boards are fantastic! Between those and everdebz picks , I have some great ideas already! I have no clue on flooring yet :-0 I'm still thinking to go with something that has an orangey hue. Wish me luck ;-)
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the vanilla btw, it IS super nice
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do think I pretty much figured it out, I just pray that I will like the edgecomb gray bc I hear it can change in different lighting.
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    What we're you doing again? Dev18?
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I took away the purple wall and am having the room painted in edgecomb. I don't have time at this point to test the color out. Is that crazy oh me to just jump into it ? I'm taking everyone else's word..
  • er612
    7 years ago

I still prefer the purple wall (probably because I admire your boldness) but I'm sure edgecomb will work too. Here's another bold rug with neutral paint swatches...

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    Just pulled these two colors. They look very nice together; EG is really a taupe so should give you that warmer look you love. I assume you are referring to BM white dove for the wood work. That would be fine. It is a warm white. Do it throughout. Still don't understand the rush but good luck!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Hope this helps
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Awesome! Love them all! My contractor is rushing me. Also we have been out of our house for a year already and are itching to et back in. I just went to the house this am. They still haven't painted over the purple. I'm wondering if I should leave just the inner wall purple. It's a very small area but will give a little color. Any thoughts?
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

I won't call it crazy but it is unwise that you do not sample colors. I do really like the chips together by Lynartist. That was nice to do Lyn!

• er612
    7 years ago

Either works. You can always liven edgecomb up with furnishings. Ex.

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    It's a small area; leave it. If you don't like it , it's easy to repaint. That purple will look very pretty with EG.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    And I'm referring to just that small back wall!
  • er612
    7 years ago

• everdebz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

a mix! You must have a streak of the adventurer... :)

would hubby feel better about a blue paint? more traditional. Or just lively curtains on that wall like:

Santa Maria Gem Waverly Fabric · More Info

• Kathy
    7 years ago
    Both colors look great. A lot depends on what you have planned to tie them together.
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Did you figure it out?
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow all those idea boards and fabrics are making me gush! The purple looks amazing with that couch, too bad it can't stay :-(
    my hubby is actually beginning to like the dining room color! Yay! I have no idea how I'm going to decorate, but I know that it will be a mix of traditional and modern. I like the eclectic look. They just painted the attached foyer today. It's a really soft gray with violet undertones and looks amazing. I'm curios to see how the EG will turn out. I'll post a pic when it's all done!:)
  • er612
    7 years ago

I would make a decision on flooring today (or at least by the end of the week). You mentioned wanting to move in. Well, flooring will be a huge step in this direction. Trust me, I'm the most indecisive person ever, especially when it comes to details. Trust your instincts. A less than perfect finish is usually more satisfying than delaying a project for a slightly better choice (most of the time you'll end up where you started anyway). You'll feel a huge weight lifted after every decision no matter how big or small. List out the items you need to choose before move in (floor, baseboard/trim, lights, fireplace, etc) and then set a deadline for each. Did you like the floor color that I included in some of my photos?

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I actually love that floor color. What's it called? I think I'm having a hard time finding something I like within our budget for flooring. But that color is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Not too light not too dark and a bit orangey.
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

I think the floor color should be similar in tone to your armoire. A bit darker perhaps.

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Gd willing tomorrow I will check out some flooring. Wish me luck!
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So here's the floor I chose!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    How's the painting coming along?
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So it's pretty much what I set out for, the slightly orangey tinge. I wasn't really planning for the distressed look but I found this at a building material outlet for a great price and couldn't resist. I like it! Now I have to figure out the stain for the doors :-0 the painting is at a standstill because the mudding guy apparently did a sloppy job so they are waiting for him to fix everything >:(
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    Oops! Had a feeling;)
  • er612
    7 years ago

Nice work on the floor! What's next on your list? Light fixtures?

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! I'm busy with the bathroom tiles right now. I have all can lights in the living room and we purchased a crystal chandelier a while back for the dining room which I don't love but my husband says it will grow on me...(?) :-0 .. It was an amazing deal at an building materials outlet. I'll attach a pic. It's a little ostentatious. Tell me what you think
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Gold is in at present you can change it out later.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I wouldn't call it grossly over the top. Where would that go?

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    In the dining room. It's not what I would have chosen EVER. But I think I can live with it lol
  • Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is it hideous?
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

I love it. Dev, didn't you like the look of your inspiration room, and not just that color? If so you should post it again.

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This one?:)
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    That's a very big light fixture! How large is your table?
  • er612
    7 years ago

I like it. Once you fill the room, it will look good.

• Rochel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I don't have the table yet lol. It IS huge! But the ceilings are 9 1/2 feet so I'm hoping that will even it out