Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_268753

User
12 years ago
Just bought this house - 1962 ranch near the ocean. Stymied by this fireplace wall - should I paint? Just paint the brick? Add a mantel? And the tiny entry to the right of the photo needs some help as well... thanks for any input!

Comments (38)

• mousemaker
    12 years ago
    if you are updating the entryway? and you are using the fireplace to vent heat into your living space? then perhaps you don't need the vent along the bottom of the wall..so you could expand that wall out and make the entry larger. i would take out the odd hearth and make it floor level though.
    i like the shelves and i agree about loading up with books :)
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    12 years ago
    Depending on your furniture and what you plan to do with the space, you have a number of great options.
    If you want to lighten everything up and keep a cottage-y look, I'd be tempted to put some beaded board in the back of the cabinets and freshen it up with some paint. The brick around the fireplace can be easily updated with a new surround material in a light neutral color.
    If your tastes run more modern, I'd paint the cabinets white or black, mirror the back of those side cabinets, reface the lower cabinets with flat panel doors, and change out the wooden shelves with glass shelves to make the most of your downlighting on each side. Again, the fireplace is easy to change, and if the doors need to stay until further notice, you can update the passe brass with hi-heat fireplace paint in pewter or bronze.
  • Chris Frank
    12 years ago
    Just what I was seeing with this space was the picture sent by tomfromcoastroad. Cabinets easily painted...sand well, prime with BIN laquer based primer and 2 coats of satin finish paint. Love the arches in the bookcase as well...adds archetechural detail and interest
  • PRO
    My Design Guide.com
    12 years ago
    If you like the fireplace color and want to infuse that throughout the room as part of your room's color palette, then it does not need to be painted. Otherwise - yes.
  • PRO
    Marie Grabo Designs
    12 years ago

You need to decide on a design plan for the room, style mostly at this point. If you are going with a coastal look then I would paint everything white. You may not need to paint the brass if you are bringing in other brass elements that can often read as "nautical" if that's the look you're going for. As for the mantel, I happen to love a mantel so I recommend you add one, it will give you added display to make the FP even more of a focal point. I can show you step by step on how to decorate this room, just go to http://www.interior-decorating-diva.com/personal_decorating_consultation.html. I'll use Houzz photos to help you visualize.
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    If the wood is good quality, I'd be inclined to keep it as is, but remove or replace the lower doors. Certainly replace the hardware. Once you fill it up with books and knick-knacks (it will require judicious choices to not look cluttered), they won't appear so dark.

Yes, remove the brass firescreen and the brick hearth. Dated. If you don't want to tear that up, paint it and the brick surround. There are numerous artistic firescreens.

The entrance has a different flooring, so it is visually separated. Painting that area a different color, even something dark, will give it drama. If that's a doorway peeking at the edge, paint that, too, to minimize breaking up the space. For more light, change the door to one with a larger window. If foot traffic is not always going into the living room, but goes past to the back of hte house (kitchen?), a french door in that opening could be a "beachy" detail.
  • PRO
    Christy Spearman Interior Design
    12 years ago
    When I saw your room, I immediately thought of this article by Eddie Ross:

http://www.eddieross.com/eddie_ross/2009/07/before-after-a-dramatic-living-room-redo.html

I would def remove the brass screen and paint, paint, paint and wallpaper! Find some cool, large scale, beachy print and paper the backs of the bookshelves. I just ordered This paper for a client's bathroom and closet.

http://www.hyggeandwestshop.com/products/oh-joy-for-hygge--west/petal-pusher-wallpaper---white--blue/

I agree with Inkwitch that you should make the entrance dramatic. I love grasscloth, maybe do just one wall- opposite the front door? I think a French door would add more light and visually open up the space and if you are worried about privacy, add a sheer linen curtain. Think texture and layers!
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    If it's possible I would consider removing the wood from above the fireplace and covering it top to bottom with something like this quartzite ledgestone (photo below). It lightens the overall effect and brings an updated look. I would probably paint the shelves and to keep the light effect I'd probably go with white, using the same white for the trim and ceilings. For a beach area, a tan like Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige on the walls would be a nice backdrop for some beachy colors like pale turquiose, white, grey, for example, and maybe coral if those are colors you like.
  • charlotteleigh
    12 years ago
    If this were my room I would paint the walls a soft warm color (sunflower yellow/terracotta?) and paint the cabinets and bookcases white. The fireplace would look lovely with a dark mantle and I would paint the bricks also, maybe white, maybe a lighter shade of the walls. If you went with a golden yellow for the walls I can invision a large painting for over the fireplace with shades of red being the predominate color (I'm partial to floral/landscape paintings). Your floor is very nice and you have a lot of natural light. I'm sure whatever you do will be lovely. Good luck.
  • nutz1947
    12 years ago
    It's a lovely room, but definitely looks circa 1980. To lighten the room up, I'd definitely paint the built-ins in a glossy or semi-gloss white finish and then use a Divine Design trick , , , affix mirrors to the back of the cabinets to reflect even more light. Brick is dated as well. I had the same problem in my 30-year-old home and had the face of the fireplace refaced by a professional. Well worth the expense, completely changed the look of the room. Walls neutral and light,but not beige/tan. None of these updates are particularly expensive, but make a wonderful difference in the overall appearance.
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    If it were mine.....I would remove the fireplace screen, clean the brick if needed, replace the fire screen with a bronze or brushed nickle. I do not like painting good woods, it pretty much destroys them, so that being said I would create painted inserts to go against the back wall of the bookcases, use a paint grade 1/4 plywood like birch, these could be any color that pleases you, they could match the walls, (which I would do in a taupe like color) or a shade or two darker. If the shelves are removable, I'd consider glass, then add lights in the top, glass is expensive, but a one time expense. A mantel would be nice, or a pretty picture or mirror above the fireplace. Replace the knobs on the cabinets to match the fire screen. For the entry to the right, how about a full lite door, that would really bring in light, frosted if privacy is needed. Love the wood floors. If you hate the brick, perhaps putting a tile over top.
  • NOrma Remick
    12 years ago
    Above all, remove the fireplace screen....it's very dated looking. Tile over the brick and if you're looking to put in a mantle, make it a chunky one. If you like the natural wood, then just clean the wood and maybe replace the wood shelves with thick glass ones. Maybe you could paint a panel and insert it over the back wall of the bookcases to lighten the fireplace look. That way if you tired of that look, you could remove the back panel and do something else. Depending on where your house is located and how much natural light you get, you'll need to pick out wall colors that brighten the room or give it a calming affect. That decision depends on the mood you want to give to the room.
  • PRO
    Fitzgerald Studio
    12 years ago
    loose the hearth, install marble, granite or tile to floor level. Cover the brick and finish with venetian plaster or other lime putty plaster. Remove panel above fireplace and treat the same as the fireplace surround. Reface cabinet doors to update the look of the built in. If you are not wanting the wood cabinets, demo and increase the door opening. Plaster and or limestone or sand stone for surround. Keep it light. Dark wood and colours deaden the room and make it smaller. Light, airy and simplicity.
  • PRO
    UPSTAGING YOUR HOMES
    12 years ago
    Great replies. I feel a need to see the exterior of the house before I offer advice. However, one thing I don't like is an entry that opens right into the living room. I would use room divider to create some privacy for living room.
    If house has water view or on the water, I would lighten up wood & brick - and consider replacing middle wood. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    InterDesign Studio
    12 years ago
    The built-ins are great. Very Mid-Century. I would suggest painting the brick a flat black and replace the brass doors with black. That way it's just the beautiful wood and the black. Simplifies the whole elevation. For your small entryway, I can't tell but it looks like a dark floor? Black slate tiles would tie in nicely with your newly painted black brick fireplace.
  • PRO
    User
    12 years ago
    I love it ! I would stain it a darker hue, add new hardware, paint the brass screen black and put a layer of slate on top of the brick. I wouldn't add a mantel as you already have shelving on either side. I would fill the shelves with "finds" from my walks at the beach and would take my time and pick out the perfect painting for over the fireplace. The floors look to be in excellent shape, so I wouldn't want to harm them in any way. Enjoy your new home!
  • scpeckham
    12 years ago
    Paint!
  • woofwoof
    12 years ago
    Yeah, it's the brick that's not working....and the bright brass of the fireplace surround. You could paint the brick and see what that does, as it is dark and doesn't work with the light hardwood floors. I really like the idea Hilltop1155 had with the stone all the way up in a light color....there are so many great stone choices out there. Then warm up the walls with a soft color or at least a creamier, warmer white. Can't see enough of the entry to tell what to do, but that dark floor doesn't help. Good luck and have fun!
  • rdonal
    12 years ago
    Since you made no mention of budget concerns, I'm thinking outside of the box.
    First thing that hit me was the brass on the fireplace. That definitely needs to go. Next, I would get rid of the hearth...it's too clunky. Replace one at floor level with maybe a slate....I think if you're going for a more informal and organic look, you'll have a lot of color choice with light gray slate. A new front door that will add some class and let in more light is a must.

OK...here's where I get a little creative:
    Sometimes, these bookcases were made so that they could be carefully removed and reused somewhere else in the house. If that's the case, I suggest having them built in on the opposite far wall as a full unit....maybe with a window seat or a desk height table top between the towers. (of course this depends on where the windows are) or even as a full wall unit in your dining room or a space you may use as an office/study. They'll provide lots of storage and display space. (of course, you still need to decide whether to paint or not...but it might be easier to make that choice when they're in a different room)

Once they are removed and re-purposed, you can widen that entry about 8inches. You'll be amazed at the difference this will make. ( I would also see if you can eliminate that heat vent above the doorway) Even tho your fireplace will no longer be centered, the visual appearance is not that noticeable if you place your furniture, etc. to compliment it. Use the corner wisely....a great tall plant in a thick reed basket or floor art can fill in nicely.

I would then choose between two options for the fireplace:
    #1:
    I like the previous idea of using stone floor to ceiling around the fireplace with a great, chunky, "floating" mantle. I can see one, sort of drift wood colored with some rough edges on the facing. Use a stone that is soft in color and will work with whatever you choose for the hearth. Adding an awesome mirror (be careful to think in scale) a
  • rdonal
    12 years ago
    cont'd

above the mantel will help to open up the room and add style.

OR: #2
    My second thought is a new fireplace surround. If you want to keep the room sortof beachy, then you can have a surround built that will bump out the fireplace to make it a real feature. Again, remove the hearth and replace it with something floor level. For this option, you can either face the brick with a stone or paint it. Either option will work great. Have the wood panel above the fireplace removed and the wall freshly patched and painted. You can choose to keep the new surround white or go with a spot of color that will cue color inspiration for the rest of the room. It's sure to make the new fireplace an instant showpiece! Again...a great mirror will add some light and style.

Your mantel will provide you with some space for interesting things that will echo the beach. (I envision a couple of well placed starfish and some hurricane glass containers of varying sizes with sand and shells in them to anchor the candles.)

If you re-use the bookcases in the same room and you decide on a painted fireplace surround, I would paint them a soft neutral color so they compliment but don't overpower....how about a very subtle sandy grey? or even a soft butter color? Just keep it a very light tinted color that will echo your color palette. And yes....glass shelves with cabinet lights....a great lamp if you go with the table top in between the cases...or a fantastic upholstered seat cushion if there is a window that will allow a window seat.

It's not that hard to change the focus of this room....and shouldn't be too pricey. Just make sure you have a knowledgeable, accomplished carpenter do the work who will be careful with the removal and the re-purposing of the bookcases so you are delighted!!
  • mijbe
    12 years ago
    Maybe I'm the only one - BUT I LOVE THE BRASS!!! It's so nautical! I don't like the brick - it's too heavy for the fireplace - I'd get rid of the brick...cheapest solution: paint it in a white wash (for the seaside); alternative: replace (or cover) it with weathered wood from a boat or better yet, drift wood. Provided it's real wood - I love the bookcase (if it's crap veneer, then you could sin and paint) - I can see a captain's wheel above the fireplace and a brass bell somewhere on the shelves - but I'm not a big fan of the doors on the bottom part - maybe it's the hardware? You could replace with sailor's rope tied into knots?

For the entrance - nice dark blue walls with contrasting cloud white ceiling, trim and door can make it like a captain's entryway. All this assumes you want the "nautical" feel. Have fun and enjoy - looks like a very nice house!

• gerib
    12 years ago
    If you are afraid to paint the woodwork, you can always take a small step and paint the wood wall behind the bookcase only. Color depends so much on the style of the room. It is a great back drop for your collections of books or knick-knacks.
  • rdonal
    12 years ago
    I know you mentioned that you bought a house by the beach.....but does that mean you would like a nautical styled interior? I'm curious. I was thinking that you might want to incorporate a few subtle touches of the beach reflected in some color choices...not so much a complete nautical theme.

A few questions:
    Do you prefer bold colors or soft tones?
    How much natural light comes into the rooms?
    Is this a second home for leisure or your main residence?
    Are you leaning towards contemporary, traditional, cottage or modernist style? (for starters)
    How large is your budget?
    Is this a DIY project or will you be hiring someone to do the work?

Also, be sure to consider the whole house as you plan each room project. It's important to know what you like and where your design plans are headed for a cohesive look. I always suggest that my clients begin an Idea Folder. It helps to describe the things that make you feel good, that you love the lines of , the colors that appeal to you, window dressings that suit your taste....anything and everything that, when thumbing thru a magazine or a catalog, you might point to and say "I love that________!"
    When you tear out the page, make sure to make notes for yourself. Circle the item or note just what made you stop and say "wow". A lamp? A rug? A sofa? Something clever? Or just the feel of the space?

If there are colors/fabrics/furniture you like and the page doesn't note the source, go to the back of the magazine to the page index. It will tell you exactly what the color/item is and where to find it. This folder will help you navigate the entire house project, room by room as well as guide whomever is helping you put the look together, be that a designer or a retailer.

Good luck and have fun making this new jewel box your home by the ocean!

• User
    12 years ago
    Anything is possible depending on your budget! Want to keep it pretty simple?
    Remove the brass fireplace screen....remove wood shelving...have a puck light added at underside of topside of cases...paint the cases "White Dove"
    and add glass shelving...have a new bolder mantle made...and change out the cabinet knobs. If you love the original brick..fine..just add a fab screen in antiqued nickel. If you hate the brick fp...have it refaced..there are some wonderful "premade" wood mantles, etc. that should be painted out same as casegoods. Add an interesting mirror above mantle...
  • goldbuild11
    12 years ago
    you could backsplash above the fireplace, add a mantle or remove the brass... just do not paint that!
  • PRO
    Zee Dezigns
    12 years ago
    Hi
    I would definitely paint the shelving. I'd go with white / cream depending on your choice for the rest of the room. I'd tile over or replace the brickwork around the fireplace with a smooth natural tile in black. Slate/ Honed Lava rock?) I agree with you about a mantle - what about a lovely rustic piece of wood as a floating shelf above the fireplace. This will modernize it and you will lose the old fashioned surround. I agree with comments it begs for a picture above the fireplace. I would also replace the brass knobs for something more modern and i have to say, if i could afford it (or even if i could not) i would change the brass fireplace entirely. Not sure if it has a chimney but would use something modern and probably black and glass or open wood grate. This will make a huge difference to the look of the room. The addition of black will give the room some depth and will tie in the black tiles in the entrance too.

The entrance - what about a glass door and mirror on of the walls in the entrance - preferably opposite the door (if possible) to create the illusion of space and get some light in.
    Have fun - i'm new to the site do we get to see what you end up with:)
  • Chris Frank
    12 years ago
    There have been some really great ideas come from this post. Great last picture. I sure hope as well we hear back or see the results.
  • PRO
    Zee Dezigns
    12 years ago
    Thanks - thats my house and my latest project
  • Chris Frank
    12 years ago
    to carolzee, I really liked the fact you kept the fireplace simple with no overwhelming picture. Less is more. You could put a smaller picture (possibly in black and white) to the right of the fireplace close to your bottles..it would visually balance with the weight of your TV on the opposite side. Very nice!
  • rdonal
    12 years ago
    I agree...Carolzee....the wall of bookcases are done well.

The fireplace still has it's place of prominence because it has a big enough surround and a great mantel. You are fortunate to have so much natural light and a large room....all of these things help to make this lovely.
  • rdonal
    12 years ago
    One of the reasons I suggested removing and re-purposing the bookcases in this particular situation is the shape of the room. Tho it seems to be of a decent size, with everything on that far wall, the room is "top heavy" and that also limits the placement of furniture. Having the bookcases at one end and the fireplace at the opposite not only balances the visual weight but also allows each component to shine on their own.

In HGTV's 'Dear Genevieve', Gorder did something that at first I thought would be too much (Generally, dark and "big" interiors feel too heavy to me) but this turned out to be brilliant. She was working with a room that was also long and narrow and adjoined to the dining room. In order to give the room character and to tie it in to the dining room, she had full length bookcases built that spanned the common back wall of BOTH rooms. She painted them a dark gray-blue, trimmed them with lovely moldings, added some sparkly silver sconces to the casings and then dressed the shelves appropriately for each room. Gorder created interest, storage and traffic flow....all the things that the owners were in need of and asking for. At first, the dark color was daunting but the final project was stunning!

The family room side had storage and shelving for games, dvd's, extra blankets.....the dining room side worked as display space for some special serving pieces and display as well as storage for the extra china and flatware. It was genius. I typically don't remember these shows but this one made a huge impression.

Whether it's light and airy or dark and cozy.....it always comes down to balance, how to best utilize the layout of the space and traffic flow. For a fresh start in this room I think everyone is spot on with painting and restyling the fireplace....but I would encourage you to think about the future too.

(One side note: If you love Danish modern, I would keep the bookcases as they are but change the hardware. The fireplace would look
  • rdonal
    12 years ago

(One side note: If you love Danish modern, I would keep the bookcases as they are but change the hardware. The fireplace would look stunning with a simple surround with wide molding. A modern art piece or Deco clock would look great above it along with some fabulous sling chairs or Eames styled...vintage lighting and other artful touches....This style needs to be clean and simple)

Check out this website for ideas if you are more inclined to mid-century modern or danish modern.
    http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=533257

First and foremost, decide what your vision is for this house....you need to have a feel and a design direction. After choosing that, things get much easier. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Fireplacesafetyscreen.com
    12 years ago
    It is a great room, I specialize in fireplace screens so my suggestion is really just for updating the dated brass glass doors. Here is an example that might help. You can see more at www.fireplacesafetyscreen.com
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    oh be still my heart fireplacesafety!!! i'm yearning for an insert for my gas fireplace..and new tiles--surprisingly just like your picture! :) someday when i have the funds!!
  • PRO
    kathiedechirico
    12 years ago
    Absolutely paint it or surround it with a surface texture of brick, stone, or tile. Remove all of the shelves and make that short wall one visual focus that includes the doorway. Having shelving re-built around the fireplace and over the doorway is another way to create a visual line that is pleasing.
  • NOrma Remick
    12 years ago
    Carlzee: That's your house!?? It looks beautiful. Come on over and you can advise me on what to do with my master bedroom. LOL!
  • PRO
    Natalie Blake
    12 years ago
    Why not try sculptural wall tile above the fireplace? I did a crude Photoshop job to show you how our ceramic wall tile might look. Check out our designs at: www.unaluntile.com
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz