Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste_gw

How to cover a daybed so it looks more like a couch than a bed

needinfo1
7 years ago

I plan to buy this daybed from Ikea. It will be in a room opening off the tv area in our newly remodeled basement. 99% of the time the daybed will be used as a couch and only rarely (when we have guests) as a bed. To achieve the look I want, I definitely know that I should use decorative pillows and not bed pillows. It is the cover that is throwing me for a loop.

Hemnes Daybed Frame With 3 Drawers | IKEA · More Info

Here is another photo of the same bed.

507 Rhode Island Street · More Info

If I want to have a situation where this looks less like a bed and more like a tailored couch, what do I do for a cover? It seems to me that just having a comforter on and tucking it in would result in a messy bed look after anyone sits on it. I also don't want any bedding type things draped down over the front.

I am fine with having a cover that is just used for when I want the couch appearance and then putting on different real bedding when we have guests.

I can buy something if there is a good source of covers. Or, I do sew. Do I buy a quilt and then cut the corners out to get rid of the bulk so I can put it on (for sitting use only) like a fitted sheet? Do I buy some upholstery fabric and make something to stretch and cover the mattress? I know if I did something along this idea, adding piping would make the cover seem more tailored and less bedlike.

Has anyone done anything with a daybed along the lines of what I am thinking about?

Thanks.

Comments (19)

• Darzy
    7 years ago

I think the daybed you chose will look like a bed regardless of how you dress it. How about just twin bed with form fitted cover on all sides? Then, oversized upholstered pillows as the sofa back cushions.

• Darzy
    7 years ago

Here is a sample of fitted top over two twin beds and bolster pillows. This could look sectional sofa like with the right pillows and slipcover.

Soho · More Info

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

I'd get a couple of pieces of foam cut to the shape of the back, and one as a mattress, and get them upholstered.

• needinfo1
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the interesting ideas. I believe Bed Bath and Beyond has foam bolster forms I could buy for the arm sides. I never thought of a piece of foam for the back too.
  • Chikka BangBang
    7 years ago
    Slip cover for the mattress and matching pillows in the same color.
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Hi---

Check World Market for fitted covers. Etsy for bolster and lumbar pillows. Good Luck!

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

You may also want to check out outdoor cushions. There are higher backed ones that may be helpful for the back issue but allow the depth needed for the mattress area.

You could buy a few different styles and sizes and thicknesses and try them on the bed. Then when you figure out the thickness that works with the bed, you can return the ones that don't work.

You can keep the cushions that fit, or go get a piece of foam cut to the appropriate thickness.

The cushions or foam will allow you to preserve the actual bed matress for sleeping. Sitting on a matress for repeated periods causes severe areas of unware on a mattress. A person's bodyweight is more concentrated on a smaller area.

Cheers :-)

• needinfo1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very helpful ideas. Thanks so much.

I have also looked at World Market's daybed and like it, but the Ikea one will allow two people to sleep on the bed.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

I believe that you would be better off with an expanding couch or new style futons. I do not know how tall you are? but i could never sit on day bed as a couch.

• leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Use large bolster pillows on each end and square pillows across the back.

I think havingfun has a very good point about the height of the daybed.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

I agree with havingfun, daybeds are not comfortable for sitting as couches for me, and if the main use is as a sofa, I'd look for a comfy sofa that you can get as a pull-out, or just use aero-bed mattresses for the occasional guests. I would not sacrifice comfort in the thing you are using it for 99% of the time!

needinfo1 thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • needinfo1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I guess I should clarify about where and how this daybed will be used. We are remodeling our basement, and our room with the real couch and the tv opens into the room where this will be. There is a 6' wide, double pocket door opening between the two rooms and we intend to keep the doors open the majority of the time so as to have the effect of a larger room. So, this daybed will in actuality get very little use either as a bed or as a couch. And, I am thinking that the use it gets might be more often as a place for one person to curl up and read rather than as a regular couch with several people sitting on it. I guess in a way you could say that we are doing this rather than putting a chair in the corner where this will be.

Thanks for the thoughts. I probably agree with you that I wouldn't want to depend on a daybed as a real couch for lots of use.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Look up daybed covers. You can find a fitted one and add really pretty pillows.

• Heather Diane
    5 years ago

Google the slipcovershop. You will find what you need.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Old Dilemma, Heather Diane

• tinyhouse56
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just FYI—for a less deep day bed that you want to also use as a couch: Charles Rogers company sells a day bed with an option to get a frame which works with their 33 inch wide mattress instead of a twin mattress which is typically 38 or 39 inches. So it would be about a half a foot less deep as a couch. You could order custom foam and cover it if you dont want to purchase one of their narrower mattresses.

• jlwarren26
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Look up SoftFrame on Etsy. They specialize in covers and back pillows

• Luis Fernando Islas
    last year

Can you share your final project? I’m about to order Hemnes bed and do the same you did.