Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_jacobs3962

Please help me with some fresh paint colors for my home's exterior!

Susan Jacobs
11 years ago
I am going for a traditional, but updated look. I'm thinking a warm gray or a sage green. Should I paint the brick accents?

Comments (11)

• Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I meant to load these photos, too ...
  • PRO
    Edits! Interior Styling
    11 years ago
    Susan. I don't know where you live but love the idea of sage green with trees and hills I'm seeing! I'd paint brick sage green with cream trim treating those insets along the walkway same as brick. Paint the door a charcoal grey and leave the walkway the red brick. Switch the plants along the entry way to something low - no more than 12 inches or so and spaced out with some dark brown mulch and you will have a whole new look, feel and energy.
  • Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Edits! Thank you for your reply. So, are you saying to paint the brick (on the sides of the garage) sage green, as well as the stucco (the part that is currently lighter blue/gray)? And would those vertical dark blue lines (insets?) also be sage green, or would those be cream along with the trim? Love the idea of a charcoal door. By the way, I live in the Los Angeles area, and there are indeed lots of hills, which are currently green, but will be brown by June :)
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    Edits! has great ideas for colors. I'd add that it would be good to fill in the gaps in the brick walkway at the front gate with new bricks. After painting, apply a mulch or planting mix topper to the roses and foundation plants. I'd replace the latter, by the way, with something that does well in deep shade.

Perhaps Edits! can suggest if the wrought iron fence and concrete block fence parts should be painted the same color or different colors?
  • Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I do need to do something with that slumpstone / wrought iron fence. I had been covered with vines, but we trimmed and cleaned out a lot of it and now it's awfully bare. Even under all the greenery, I didn't like it. I have thought about painting it but don't know what color -- something to blend in to the background, or something to blend with the house. I've also thought about lime washing it, whitewashing it, even stucco-ing over it. Would love to knock it down and put a picket fence, but don't have the budget for that. I have also thought about painting the "wrought iron" (I think it's aluminum) a dark black/green to blend with foliage.
  • Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Absolutely will fill in those dark patches - used to be lawn, which died due to gophers. I'm either going to re-seed, or plant creeping thyme or something. It's an area that gets a lot of hot sun in the summer!
  • Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's a view of the area to the right , behind the stone fence. Should the frames around the windows, and the ledge below them be cream? To the right, there is a sitting area...
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    MY COMMENTS, WITH PICTURES, ARE ON YOUR OTHER DILEMMA POSTING.
    DOUBLE POSTING IS PROBLEMATIC.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Please do not paint the brick.

However, feel free to remove the Christmas lights.

And all the paint in the world will not improve the curb appeal of your home as will landscaping and lawn care.
  • Susan Jacobs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lawn is a work in progress - We just tore out a bunch of our lawn, and are aerating, fertilizing and fixing the sprinklers as we speak. I hear you about the "Christmas" lights. (We hung twinkly lights for a party and haven't taken them down yet!) Fresh landscaping will be planted in April I think.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County