Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roni_gafni

Identify these plants on my new property

Roni Gafni
7 years ago
Hey, any experts here know about these plants, if they are worth keeping (I think they all are unless they grow like weeds) and if there is a way to move them to another spot in our property

Comments (23)

• Bev
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I also see roses, peonies, and hosta like plants! Roses, IMO, are always worth keeping! I just had beautiful red roses, similar to the ones in the last photo, planted in my yard in April. Since it looks like they are healthy and growing well, I would keep them. They can always be moved if needed.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

I would say beach rose, hosta, peony, rose.

Are you in New England? Beach roses (rosa rigossa) are considered native plants by some and weeds by others. Very thorny. And very hearty. I love them. My husband hates them. They grow in sandy soil near the ocean.

Absolutely keep the peonies!!! They are hard to get started but once they get comfortable, they will give you years of beauty and they smell better than any plant!

Not sure on the second one. Looks like a hosta, but could be a lily. You'll know when the flowers bloom.

• Roni Gafni
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    of the 4 of them, are there any that can be moved to more prominent places in the property? my wife loves the peonies and roses are beautiful, can we move them to the front of the house without fear of them dying?
  • Lisa G
    7 years ago

I should add that in #2: On the left, that is Hosta or some sort of Peace Lily maybe depending on your growing zone. On the right side, the long spiky foliage is most likely Yucca with the tall flower spikes.

• Bev
    7 years ago

Yes, you can but you might want to consult a professional before moving them. I hired a landscaper to do new landscaping for the house that my husband and I purchased last year. He moved several plants for me, including roses. I do know peonies can also be moved because my Mom had them at the house I grew up in. Hostas can not only be moved but can be separated since they spread out as they get older!

• Roni Gafni
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I would definitely hire a professional. I know so little about landscaping lol. I just know that I have heard that sometimes if you try to move things they could die
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Lisa is right. Definitely you want to try to kill yuccas

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

#3 is peony and should not be moved. Once established, they do not take kindly to being disturbed.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

yuccas are yucky...I hate that plant. At least the ones that run along Rte 6 on Cape Cod.

Peony is beautiful...attracts ants, so don't bring it inside, you'll have ants all over your counters; they don't bloom long, but worth it.

The white roses may be fairy roses.

The red ones...look like an older species but are healthy looking. Looks like it could be a rambler if you gave it something on which to climb.

Climbing Rose · More Info

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

I've never had an issue with ants finding the peonies inside the house. I do find them on the blooms on the bush.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

Number two has Hosta and an Agave type plant.

The red rose looks a tad like Dr. Huey. Are you eastern or western?

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    7 years ago

It looks like you have hostas surrounding your roses, hostas make for beautiful ground cover and some types produce blooms, I would definitely keep them. The peony in pic #3 is MUST keep, it produces beautiful blooms, very fragrant and can take full sunlight. In pic #2 I see hostas and 2 yucca bushes, I would again, keep the hostas but get rid of the yuccas, they can be very messy and sometimes an eyesore if not properly cut back and maintained. Good luck with your green thumb you have some great plants.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

auntthelma...sorry, ants don't find the peonies, they are always on the flower when I bring them into make an arrangement and then they get all over my counters.

I should reread what I type...getting old.....

I think I've asked you before...are you North shore?

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

The ants are attracted to the aphids on the peonies.

Get rid of the aphids.....No ants!!

The agave type plant is a yucca.

• swims
    7 years ago
    #1 is definitely a peony!!! Gorgeous!! 2 and 3 are roses. Love them all!!
  • ladma
    7 years ago
    I've moved peonies, you might sacrifice some blooms. Just google "transplanting peonies" and you'll find lots of tips. The most important is getting them the right depth. They like sun.
  • teamaltese
    7 years ago
    Take a bucket of water with you when you cut peonies. Gently swish the cut bloom in the water, most of the ants will wash off.
  • keltieh
    7 years ago
    My Grandfather transplanted Peony's to my childhood home when I was young. I have brought some to each of my homes over the years. They are beautiful, fragrant and never a problem establishing themselves. If you are going to move or divide them, do it in the fall or early spring if you have to.
  • ocotillaks
    7 years ago

Keep the yuccas, They smell heavenly when they bloom. Bats, butterflies and bees love them. I had yuccas in my front yard of our Alamogordo home.

• suezbell
    7 years ago

First is a rose -- probably a wild and/or climbing rose so you may want to plant it in front of a trellis;

second pic are yuccas -- they need lots of sun;

third is a peony;

fourth is a rose -- quite likely a knock out rose.

If you put soapy dishwater in a plastic spray bottle ($1 from Dollar Tree or empty window cleaner spray bottle) and spray it on any aphids, that may get rid of them if they're not too bad yet; otherwise, you may need house and garden bug spray or spray for a specific pest.

I've found that the best time to transplant almost anything is actually in the spring. You sacrifice the blooms for that year but you get spring rain and a natural growth inclination that results in healthy plants for the future.

A yucca plant or a rose in front of a window is a anti-burglary measure.

The Peony will likely do best with at least the morning sun. If it doesn't get enough sun it will not bloom.

One thing about a Peony -- do NOT kill the ants that are attracted to the buds; they're needed to eat the sweet sticky away from the petals to let the blooms open.

The Peony can be moved any time after it finishes blooming.

An aloe plant will likely transplant well any time of year even if you don't get all the root as long as you get as much as you can. In fact, if you leave enough root, another will likely come up from the root.

• swims
    7 years ago
    FYI, I am looking at this from my IPad. I originally identified the plants as they appeared on my iPhone. The photos appear in different sequences on the two different devices. I was wondering why y'all couldn't tell a peony from a rose!
  • Bookwoman
    7 years ago

suezbell, the ants and peonies thing is an old wives' tale. Yes, the ants are attracted to the sweet nectar, but the flowers will open just fine without them:

"It is true that there is a special relationship between
    ants and peony buds. However, the relationship is the
    reverse of what the folk tale claims. The peonies don't need
    the ants, but the ants do take advantage of the peonies!

Peony buds have very small extrafloral nectaries (special
    glands that produce nectar) along the outside edges of the
    scales that cover the developing buds. Ants devour this
    mixture of sugar, water and amino acids in what may resemble
    a feeding frenzy. In exchange for the free nectar, the ants
    drive off pests that might nibble on the buds. But rest
    assured that the peony flowers would open normally and on
    time even without ants walking across the surface of the
    bud." http://www.extension.iastate.edu/newsrel/1999/may99/may9904.html