Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwhitestripe

Help landscape our front yard!

blackwhitestripe
7 years ago

We have a very large grassy front yard that needs to be replaced with something more environmentally friendly, easier to maintain, and better looking. We'd like a bit of a screen between us and the road and were hoping for fall color, too.

We contacted a local nursery and asked them to put some trees and shrubs in but they want us to choose them and we're at a loss.

We also don't know the best place to site them. While we want a screen, we also want to be able to see the existing landscaping - the brick wall and evergreen - from the upper floor windows. Our septic leach field is in the front (right side, near the house, when you're looking at the front) which limits our options.

Someday, the walkway in front of the house will be widened and curved away from the house, and we don't want to do anything to prevent that from happening.

The existing landscaping is 13 years old and in need of freshening but we'd like to get the trees in first so they can start acclimating to the space.

Some parts of the landscaping are wonderful - there are hundreds of daffodils along the rock wall, big clumps of iris, and lots of rhododendrons and azalea. We don't want to do anything to compromise them or the evergreen tree.

The road is dirt but doesn't get much traffic.

We live in southern NH, zone 5, and the property is surrounded by tall trees. We're about 400ft above sea level. The sun rises behind the house (right side) so the front gets sun most of the afternoon. We have no sprinkler system and don't want to add one.

The evergreen tree in the front was decimated by deer 2 years ago and is just now starting to fill in. In the first pic you can see the redbud tree that split during a snowstorm. It's a hard area to garden.

Can someone help us decide which trees/shrubs to get and where to put them? We don't want anything that will attract deer and don't mind raking leaves as long as they're safe for composting.

Also, should they be put directly into the grass, or should we create mulched beds around them? The grass is full of grubs and rodent holes because we won't use chemicals to control them.

According to the plat, the road frontage is 150'. From the road to the
house is 110', from the driveway to the septic field is 75', and from
the road to the septic is 60'. The rock wall area at the front is about
10' wide and the walkway and shrubs in the front of the house are about
7' wide. So, the area we're talking about is 80' deep (walkway to rock wall),
75' wide x 40' deep at the house end, and 150 wide x 40' deep at the
road end, including the area where the little tree is.

I have hundreds of pix if you need a different angle and I can take more.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments (9)

• RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    bounce trees across on the house side of the rock wall. decorative smaller trees like service berry, dogwood and redbud. in next scatter some flowering evergreen shrubs like azalea and some decorative evergreen shrubs like false cypress. then plant in deer proof perennials. plant the perennials in sweeps. The bed should be flowing curves. some deer proof chooses would be decorative grasses, sages,nepeta, salvias.
    plants to avoid would be roses,day lilies and hostas,tulips
    blackwhitestripe thanked RubyRoses
  • blackwhitestripe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@Bookwoman, I would like to hire a landscape architect but don't know how to find a good one. I haven't seen a single house in this area that I've liked enough to ask who did their landscaping.

We also can't do everything at once. We need to hire someone to do the big things, like trees, but DH wants to do the smaller stuff himself.

• blackwhitestripe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@RubyRoses, how far from the walkway do we site the trees? I like the idea of service berry, and DH wants to use gingko.

So...if we put one gingko in front of each of the smaller dormers, where do we put the serviceberry(s)?

• RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    Ok ginkos are very slow growing and gawky when young but do turn into a beautiful tree. They do have a pretty large leaf though also. I was thinking landscapeing from the road side of property toward house so behind daffodils you would position the ginkos as you stated, then forward and centered between place a service berry and then same spacing the other side of ginkos.
    do an Internet search for landscape architect, look at their Web pages, interview a couple you like from that and talk to a couple of their prior clients. Some landscapers are also very good but many are joe blow mowers who call themselves landscapers.
    blackwhitestripe thanked RubyRoses
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

Blackwhitestripe, please post this on the Landscaping Forum. Your property is vast and they can tell you how to find a good designer. You can buy the design and implement it yourself over time. It is not good to plan a little bit here and a little bit there. The plan is supposed to be cohesive. This subject comes up often there and two people who frequently contribute are landscape architects. There is also a tree forum but I hope you will cross post on Landscaping first. You'll be spending a lot of money, take it seriously. Your property is beautiful.

blackwhitestripe thanked emmarene9
  • blackwhitestripe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, @emmarene. I didn't know there was a separate Landscaping Forum. I have cross-posted. I do think we need a design before we start and hope I'll be able to convince DH of that.

• blackwhitestripe
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@RubyRoses, I like your concept - put the taller trees closer to the road and the smaller plants between them and the house, right?

• RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    yes..that way you have the green space (septic field) between and your yard will appear even larger then it is.