Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shenvalleytrans

Subway tile back splash help?

shenvalleytrans
7 years ago
Looking for advice and options for back splash in our kitchen. Cabinets are hickory with soybean stain. Would like to use subway tile. travertine? 2x4 or 3x6? What are your thoughts?

Comments (13)

• shenvalleytrans
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Countertops are Giallo Ornamental.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

I wouldn't use travertine--it reads busy and will conflict with the granite. It is also difficult to coordinate the color with the granite--I've seen many Design Dilemmas dealing with just this issue.

Your best options are to use the same granite or a plain porcelain rectangular tile. A smaller size (2 x 4) will be busier than a larger format (4 x 8), so it depends on the look you want as to what size you choose. Handmade and/or crackle tile will add texture without fussiness. Keep in mind that handmade tiles will require larger grout lines. For thin grout lines, use a rectified or machine-made tile.

As far as color, with your palette, you can go with an off-white or a dark brown tile. Contrasting grout will draw attention to your pattern, while using the same color grout as the tile will give you a more uniform look.

• PRO
    AFS Mosaics
    7 years ago
    travertine is too busy, agreed. what about a handmade ceramic tile?
  • qam999
    7 years ago

It's unanimous, do not use travertine. The two natural stones fight each other and it becomes discordant. A basic light colored subway tile with closely matching grout would let your granite be the star.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

I think tumbled travertine or marble would go great with your granite and not to busy. I'd do 5" squares. Maybe diamond set. I think ceramic or subway does not go with your style. Something like this.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I have wood cabinets too and am installing 3 x 6 alabaster (cream) subway. The cabinets have some grain which can give movement, and the counters have movement also. So, it is best to keep the backsplash simple. I did see a pretty 1 x 2 stone type tile that I almost used, but at that time I was planning on a simpler patterned countertop. I also almost used white subway, but painted the backsplash white to get the effect and found it was too much contrast for my cabinets.

My sister has dark cabinets with travertine (or similar stone) and it is very pretty, but the grain is not as marked in her cabinets due to the stain and type of wood.

My kitchen is in my "my pics" ideabook. I hope to have the backsplash done in a couple of days and will post a pic. I am taking a break from the work as I type - about one-third done with tiling:)

• Ann
    7 years ago

Will the floors be wood or tile? If tile, it will be really important to tie the backsplash in with the floor. If wood, the backsplash options will be more plentiful.

• shenvalleytrans
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Floor will be vinyl.
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I finished my backsplash today:

My pics -work in progress: · More Info

• Ann
    7 years ago

Looks great!

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Thanks! - as with all projects the rest of the house has been neglected and it is time to get some laundry done:)

It is H-Line Alabaster subway tile.

• qam999
    7 years ago

Looks fantastic - subtle, creamy, clean and sophisticated - I think you'll be happy with it for many years to come.