Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Is a meiwa kumquat that much better than Nagami?

I have the latter and have been kicking myself for not getting the meiwa. Is it THAT much better?

Comments (12)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's good to know John. I've never tasted a kumquat, but am looking forward to it. One of my girls eats almost any fruit/veggie, so she may be only one who likes them raw...we shall see. I've just heard great things about the meiwa, but would love a side-by-side comparison.

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Well you are in luck if you can wait a couple months... My meiwa arrived a few weeks ago with about 5 fruit about 75% ripe (I think). I also have a Nagami and am very familiar with the taste of them, I actually have a bunch frozen in my freezer.

So if you are patient I could do a taste test for you :) but I know you have itchy fingers over there lol.

Steve also has a meiwa I think.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol Hobby...you know me well! No decisions have been made thus far though....;-)

• mikron_1
    7 years ago

I have never tasted one I am fond of. I hope yours are sweet as they say they are

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, that's what I worry about...two kumquats that I have to find uses for. Although I have heard that the meiwa is much sweeter....

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Meiwa is much better. The skin is mildly sweet with complex flavor that defy the English language and the center is mildly sweet with juice and sweet solids to chew. No mess because you eat the whole thing instead of squirting juice as you peal. I made peach jam by using sweet peaches and cooking down till it was thick. I used no pectin or sugar. Pure peach jam. You can make marmalade the same way with meiwa kumquats and add Nagami kumquats to desired for a pleasant kick in the teeth.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve! Ok...my fingers are really itchy now...Harris is calling out to me ;-)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

If you can get one on Poncirus Trifoliata you can plant it outside IF You are willing to protect it when temperatures drop bellow 20F. A very dry 20F could cause a sublimation temperature drop to or below the 15F death zone for the meiwa. If you nare going to container it go with their suggestions. give them a call.

My Meiwa is on Kuharske Citrange which is now illegal to grow in Florida, HLB.

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

Most people, including me, grow kumquats for decoration. The one I have on my farm has fruit virtually year round; and while some people SAY they like them, no one eats them; they mostly fall on the ground, hence the marmalade.

No one in my house likes marmalade either; so I gave it away to a chef who has a creative bent.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

John

It no different with any other fruit, Apples, Peaches, pears, plums, grapes, kiwis, blackberries, raspberries, paw-paws, persimmons, cherries, goose berries, and don't forget etc.

THEY ALL FALL AND ROT.

• Janey Thompson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

well, I think the tree that I have been taking the fruit from is Meiwa (neighbors).. small oblong or round fruit, lg ones almost the size of a quarter but rarer.. ususlly a lg black olive to a nickel size. I think the taste can be described as.. texture of a peach, but taste of a sweet ripe orange, wash off and pop the whole thing in your mouth (I only eat one at a time).. tip: chew slowly until you get the seeds out, and eat the skin.. don't chomp down on it (them).. the seeds are many and large, but worth the effort to remove...