Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xandercrews2

Anyone know about solar panel funding/possible energy credits?

Xander Crews
7 years ago

Hello All -

a friend of mine from irvine recommended that i get on houzz and reach out to people to see what they know about making green upgrades to my home in the bay area. i know there are tax benefits to upgrading your home but are there any programs that help with initial funding upfront?

some of these additions can be pretty expensive, so any and all advice would be appreciated!

- Xander

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Xander Crews thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • PRO
    Solar Texas
    7 years ago
    Contact some local installers. They'll have the scoop.
    Xander Crews thanked Solar Texas
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    7 years ago

Where I live there's Solarize Albany. See if there's something similar in your area.

http://www.solarizealbany.org

We are a volunteer and not-for-profit team of your neighbors assisting in the transition to sustainable energy through education, outreach and the bulk-purchasing benefits of vetted technologies and vendors. We are working cooperatively with Solarize Schenectady, HCE and Troy groups through the Capital District Regional Planning Commission.

Xander Crews thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • Liz H
    7 years ago
    @Depo-- I've also heard that you need to sign a very long-term contract when you rent the panels, and that that can turn into a problem for resale. Either the new buyer has to take over the contract, or the seller has to pay some ginormous amount for early termination. What I REALLY hate about these companies, though, is that they make you keep their stupid company sign out on your lawn. Maybe there's some discount to the homeowner for doing that, I don't know....but it looks so bloody silly.
    Xander Crews thanked Liz H
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Just to ask on here since solar is the questions. Can solar panel and fan type on same system charge your batteries?

That would be great.

My clients home right now is total solar with panel and propane back up. I have noticed more wind then clear skies to charge.

Ken

• Depo
    7 years ago
    @lizzie, the home buyer really is in control with a leased system. If they say they don't want it, the seller is still on the hook for it, like you said. We bought our system outright and it will have paid for itself in less than eight years. But my husband's buddy leased his system and he is paying $250/mo for 20 years!
    Xander Crews thanked Depo
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

@Depo, agree on the home owner and seller is on the hook, there is a contract. The best way if possible is outright buying. 250 a month for 20 years will help others that can't buy out right. Is your husbands buddy hooked to the main grid also? If had to pay a payment I would hook to the main grid to pull back investment.

Ken

Xander Crews thanked Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • Xander Crews
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@depo thanks i appreciate you looking out for me!

and thank you everyone else for all the feedback! some of this can be confusing

i reached out to a couple local retailers and some of them mentioned some newer type of financing that seemed pretty appealing called California first or something to that effect. They said it falls under "pace" financing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PACE_financing

anyone had any experience with it because it sounds fairly appealing?

• Liz H
    7 years ago
    Excuse me, but $250 a month for panel rental is freaking NUTS! Okay, I'm not ready to spring for purchase, but it's a sure thing that I won't be renting. Funny, though---I get about three calls a week from solar company shills. I tell them I'm not interested and then immediately hang up, but they're very persistent.
  • einportlandor
    7 years ago

Do some more googling. Then make some phone calls. I'm sure there are non-profits in your area who help consumers navigate the energy efficiency marketplace. The one in my area provides information on state and federal tax incentives and maintains a list of approved vendors. I hired a recommended guy to do a comprehensive energy audit in my house. He created a report for every possible improvement I could make (insulation, windows, appliances, solar, etc.), the approximate costs, estimated energy savings, available tax credits and a pay-back period for each. Based on that information I made my decisions about where to invest my money.

Take your time. There are good people out there and there are people who won't be around in 10 years when you need service on your solar panels. If you can't find a non-profit, try the local utility company and state websites. In my experience, finding the information requires a bit of digging, but it's time well spent. Good luck.

Xander Crews thanked einportlandor
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Here is the link to the HOUZZ Renewable Energy Forum. This might be more helpful.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/energy

Xander Crews thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Custom Exteriors, Inc
    7 years ago

@Xander

While not solar panels specifically, if you are looking to do any/all energy efficient upgrades to your home (dual pane windows, insulation, heating & air), you can qualify for PACE financing through companies like HERO or CaliforniaFirst.

We've been doing windows and doors for 20 years now and work very closely with these two companies to help people qualify for upfront financing on upgrades to their homes.

If you are at all interested in any of those types upgrades, please don't hesitate to reach out to me and we can give you more information about the possible options you could take. No pressure whatsoever. Being certified vendors in this area, we can help you get all the information you need to make the correct decision for your home.

https://www.heroprogram.com/ahome

https://californiafirst.org/

- Jack

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We leased the panels...$101.00 per month for 20 years. Last month's bill (very little sun here on the coast, was (minus) $157.00. That is one gift, let me tell you. An average electric bill here for an average sized home is at least $300.00+ a month...goes way, way up in the summer if you run A/C or have a pool.

It was recommended we not buy because of our age....we would not live long enough to reap the rewards. Sounded reasonable...kind of like 30 year warranties : > )

However, when you lease the company puts a lien on your property, and should you need to refinance, you will have to get that lean subordinated. Not difficult to do, but keep that in mind.

• PRO
    Custom Exteriors, Inc
    7 years ago

Someone in an earlier thread mentioned CaliforniaFIRST. HERO is the other popular PACE ( Property Assessed Clean Energy) Program here in the SF Bay Area. We work with both, in fact we worked very hard assisting HERO get approved attending countless city council meetings. It's a very good program for homeowners. Think of it as bringing the concept of going green to the masses, not CEO's and celebrities.

We can, or more specifically I can help you.

Also, buy, don't lease. Take advantage of the tax credits available as well. Just like buying a car, leasing is driving something you cannot afford to own. Much of it is ego driven.

888-957-7800

jcooper@custom-exteriors.com

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Custom...? I don't understand ego having anything to do with solar panels? Nor, leasing a car having anything to do with ego. I lease my car but it sure doesn't have anything to do with my ego. LOL. No sex appeal in a Toyota Venza. : > ) I lease because:

• Lower repair costs (With a three-year lease, the factory warranty covers most repairs.)
    • You can more easily drive a new car every two or three years.
    • No trade-in hassles at the end of the lease.

Leasing anything depends on circumstances. Sometimes it is the better way to go...and it was, for us...particularly bullet #2.

A solar lease/PPA is your best option when you…

• Are primarily interested in using electricity
      generated from renewable resources, rather than maximizing the financial
      benefits of installing a solar panel system;
    • Want to avoid the responsibility of maintenance or repairs for a solar panel system;
    • Are ineligible for federal or state investment tax credits resulting from your investment in a solar panel system; and/or
    • Do not want to wait until the following year to receive the financial benefits of tax credits.
  • Depo
    7 years ago

Judy G, doing the math on your lease, you are paying the same amount after 20 years that we paid to purchase ours. Plus we got the 30% tax credit and a 1K rebate from the state. It will pay for itself in less than 8 years. We are in our 60s. I just did not want a lien on our house. I am glad it is working out for you! It sounds like you still pay or get a credit from your utility company. The system my DH's buddy leases includes the utility payment, so he does not reap the same rewards that you do.