Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goflyrm

Do these bamboo Roman shades work?

goflyrm
7 years ago
this is an attic space that is used for playroom and my office.. I but these bamboo roman shades and I feel they look a little light maybe another type of window treatment look best?

Please, suggest color, style and please site where I should purchase them.

Comments (26)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Seems nice for play and work - and your children like the yellow? I see nothing wrong with your current shades. If you really hate how they look, maybe paint could be a bit more amber [instead of yellow] for more of a blend with the bamboo's brown tones.

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    the rug is more for them and the decor is more to please me and what feels right for the space... the walls are malted milk( Behr) and willow green ( Behr) and white trim....

the bamboo shades ..look a little yellow to me and not sure about it.. but don't want to go totally dark..
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

You mean this Malted milk? Amazing what light and bulbs do to colors [the walls looked yellow].

BEHR® Paint Color Malted Milk 700C-2 · More Info

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    yes!! I know...the bulbs are soft white LED..
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Oh gosh, I saw yellow in the play area and the true colour in the office area. I'm glad that I am not the only one that saw the yellow. I did comment that the blinds look better in the office area. Now I know why.

I wonder if a natural light bulb would make a difference? I know Phillips makes some. We buy them and they are quite long-lasting. They are still incandescent. Incandescent bulbs have been banned in Canada in certain wattages. It's stupid.

I refuse to buy compact fluorescent bulbs though. I cannot stand the light they give off. Nor their looks. Not only that, but it's a whole process if one breaks because they contain mercury. We aren't supposed to put them in the garbage, yadah, yadah. I couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, my point about the lightbulbs is that changing them and reposting a new picture may be helpful to reassess the blinds.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

No, THIS malted milk!

;-) Mmmmm...

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    play area and office area are two different colors play area is a light green and the rest of the walls are in the malted milk which in your terms are yellow. the lighting is Led so there are no bulbs and I will not be changing them I think these bulbs were dimmed at the time and also it looks dark because I also have roll down room darkening shades under the bamboo.
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Okay, so the play area is Willow Green? That's where the yellow is coming in. I'm not seeing any yellow at all in your office area, so I'm not colour blind, lol. Whew!

I'm still sticking with my original thoughts. The blinds look better in your office area. Maybe change the play area blind? I think that's what is throwing the space off.

Change the lightbulb first if possible--it is probably bringing out too much yellow and fooling your eye. And making the walls look too yellow.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Okay, not changing the bulbs. Got it. Um, I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe a solid colour pale green blind for your play zone? To bring out the green?

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ok... good suggestion. curtains Roman shade?
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Roman shade. Then you may only need one. (Instead of the white one, too).

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

The roman shade would be more practical, too. If the kids wanted to snuggle up against the wall/pillows with a book or game, they won't accidentally pull the curtains down.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Oh, if you could paint those the same as the wall colour, they would blend in. Then you could do something fun around or beside the window like an inspirational saying or a frieze.

Why not just paint your current bamboo shade the wall colour? That should work and you wouldn't have to buy another one.

There are primers to use. You would probably need a small brush and a roller. I've seen it done successfully.

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I can return it since I just purchased it.. not crazy about painting them
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

You could spray paint them as well, but then it wouldn't be exactly your wall colour. That may not be such a bad thing either. Slightly darker than the wall by one or two shades.

Check with your paint store for your paint chip. Look on the Willow Green chip and use colours from the same chip.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

I hear you.

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    see the difference in colors??
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Okay, then see if you can get hold of the paint chip with your colour and head to a window covering store in person. Bring a picture of the room. They may be able to give a few suggestions for a blind that works and won't cost the moon.

Because that wall colour shows up as yellow on my computer, I wouldn't want you to get an off-shade. No pun intended, lol.

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    see what's around.. maps, alphabets colorful rug..
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Yep, I see the difference in the colours. I don't know how to correct for the undertone of the blind versus the wall.

Also, you have to take into account the red of the rug. If you have a red complexion, you add green to tone it down.

I'm actually wondering if the rug is too powerful for that shade of green, now? I'm sorry, I'm stuck...

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Okay, that rug is definitely showing more teal green. That's what I'm seeing, and that's the direction I'd head. The wall colour has too much of a yellow undertone which is bringing out the yellow of the blinds.

I think that's what is happening. The teal of the rug is more on the blue side.

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

Maybe Beverly will chime in. She's a whiz at picking up undertones from what I have seen.

• goflyrm
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I wall does look yellow...I tried to get it in different angles... lol