scottkasten

Kohler Choreograph - major problem - need alternatives

Climb On

I don't have it yet - that's the problem! I ordered it over a month ago from Lowes and it was due in last week. Now they are telling me another month. We are now without a shower for a month. There is only one bathroom/shower in our condo. Obviously we need to find another option. The acrylic shower base is embedded in concrete for leveling. The floor tile and in-floor heat is being installed right now (partially complete) which butts up to the shower base. So I really can't go with a tile shower or a fiberglass shower surround as it was designed for these solid surface panels. I don't think this shower base will accept any kind of acrylic shower wall panel kits (which we really didn't want to begin with). I could really use some suggestions as to something similar, perhaps something I can source locally in Denver. Some other solid surface material I suppose, I just don't know what my options even are. I will install myself.

• smit2380

You could have solid surface like corian cut to use for the shower walls.

Climb On thanked smit2380
  • Climb On

I don't see much advertised for that. Any idea who I would contact? Countertop fabrication place?

Need Major Kitchen Backsplash Help!!!

I see three colors in your kitchen. The pretty floor, cabinets, and counter top. I'd go to a tile store and find something that you just drool over in one of those colors. Then to to one of the other colors to use as frames for those, use the third color to fill in that design. You can mix and match in terms of texture and shininess. It will tie your kitchen together in a very personal style that you love. Those fabulous centerpiece tiles will be they eye catcher you hope for and it all ties together to make the kitchen look as if a personal decorator tied it all together for you and got the prettiest accents you've ever seen! (You picked those!!!) Since you don't need a lot of them, it means you can splurge and gorgeous! They'll even help you to create the frame pieces and fill. Hope you have a left over piece of flooring, you can easily take a drawer to match. Good luck! I have so much fun trying things in a tile store! By taking the colors with you that you are trying to match, your kitchen will go together so well I think you'll love it.

Kohler vs. Mirabelle

I have had nothing but problems with the mirabelle jetted tub. It was not installed properly—they Did not mud it. It pulled away from the wall. They then sprayed foamunder it—if the contractor and plumber had read the manual it said, to mud it and NOT to use foam under it. They took it out and muddled it, put it back in and switches inside tub did not work. After two weeks, got new parts. Had to make a panel door for access to guarantee warranty which they had not done, did that and now tub is still pulling away from wall when filled to use the jets and,the inside buttons on tub not working—they don’t even budge. I am SO fed up. Are all Mirabelle products like this, or is it just because ,these workmen are SO incapable of doing anything right???

Alternative to railroad ties

I like the idea of a few bolders, but how do you position just a few? Basically, on the uphill side of some sections, the railroad ties hold up about 5 or 6" of dirt which then elevates up towards the tree line from there. If there is a stretch of maybe 20' of this type of area, how do you position a few bolders and where? I suppose we could excavate the area slightly also and reseed. Just not sure how much of an incline is suitable so as to prevent mucking up my paths with the erosion. Thanks for your ideas.

Kitchen layout opinions - major remodel

I would go back to the peninsula concept. Unless you have very deep pockets and can rework the long window wall which would allow you to do Claire's layout. A refrigerator in your last layout is just awkward there and too far from the work triangle when moved to the top of the plan. Using the existing pantry niche for the fridge is best for your kitchen. You can get a 36" wide by building a false wall in the back so the fridge clears the side wall by the sunroom door.
  • jhmarie

Have you checked with other distributers like e-faucets, build.com, or Wayfair?

Climb On thanked jhmarie
  • smit2380

You could start with countertop places, but I would want someone who had done the shower panels before. My understanding from my friend who is a fabricator is that they are a different thickness than the countertops. I am planning to use it in my bath remodel, but am trying to wait out the gray and white trend before I start planning the remodel too deeply. Good luck. I am sorry thus has been so stressful for you.

Climb On thanked smit2380
  • transitions199
    We have been interested in the product also. I was at our local Ferguson showroom this week. They had a shower installed and I took a photo. There are two showrooms near Denver, one in Angola and one in Englewood. Their website is www.ferguson.com. Good luck and I'd love to know how you make out. I also wanted to point out that qualified installers seem to be somewhat limited.
    Climb On thanked transitions199
  • Climb On

transitions199 Thank you. Ferguson is on my list to call this morning. We are up in Breckenridge, but we seem to head to Denver about once a week for one thing or another. Many more options that in Summit County. I'll install myself, because as you pointed out, qualified installers are tough to come by - especially up here. Those that are, are booked out for months - in almost any trade right now. We looked at the Choreograph in a showroom back home in Minnesota this spring, as well. It's beautiful and we like the solid surface idea, as we also do short term rentals. Just need to get my hands on it!

jhmarie, thank you. No I haven't check with those websites. Heading there right now

smit2380 thanks. That's kind of what I thought too. I'll keep looking for someone in the Denver area with solid surface shower expertise.

• mrstad
    We used a company called Artistic Marble for our shower panels. They use marble "dust" with a resin. The walls are 1/4" thick-- very easy to crack when in installing, especially if you have to cut holes for faucet, shower head, etc. We used a rotozip and did fine on our installation. It has been nine years and our custom shower is still lovely and so durable and easy to clean with no grout lines :-)
  • Climb On

mrstad do you have a website for them? Where are they located?

• merlewilson

I love your sink. Is that from Kohler also?

• Climb On
  • kristen_dillon

Question - What did you use for wall adhesive? Kohler would NOT specify what product to use upon install. I have heard of panels coming off the wall within weeks if you do not use a 100% silicone adhesive. Curious what you had luck with, Thanks!

• mac063

We are looking at putting this in as well... Nice photo -- your shower looks great! A couple of questions:

1. What pattern/color is that? (although the two photos look very different -- which one looks more like the true color?)

2. Do the panels come with the finished edges? So no extra edge trim is needed?

3. Did you get the 96" panels?

Thanks.

• Climb On

Staged to Sell WI LLC sorry I didn't see your post sooner. We used a PL400 construction adhesive, as I recall, to attach to cement board. We used Silicone for the corner beads. This is from the installation manual:

NOTE: Use silicone adhesive if the panels are being installed over tile. Use bath and shower construction
    adhesive for other applications."

• Climb On

mac063 I would say the top photo is more accurate. It is VeinCut Dune. We were very glad we went to a showroom to see the colors in person first, as we were leaning more toward other colors until we saw them in person. No extra trim is needed on the factory front exposed edges, but it's an option I believe. The edges look fine as is. I got the 96" panels and cut them down to the proper height. They go all the way to the ceiling, which I really like.

• mac063

Thanks! The only place I know of here in MN is Lowe's so I'll go check them out. Glad to hear that was a factory edge -- I liked how it looked in your photo, and of course that means one less step :-) Did you attache any shelves or soap dishes or anything? If yes -- did you buy Kohler's or just off the shelf?

• candle1112

We just installed the same Kohler Choreograph panels in Veincut Dune that you did. I had based all my floor tile and counter choices to coordinate with the colors in the 12" x 12" sample we got from Kohler. Unfortunately, there is not a showroom within 200 miles of where we live to view the full panels prior to purchasing.

The sample was a light silver/gray with darker gray veining. However, when the panels were put up, I was quite disappointed because all the veining is a yellowish brown color and not the same grayish color that was in the sample. I double-checked the panel shipping cartons, and they definitely said Veincut Dune. Now the countertop and floor tile clashes with the panels. We specifically brought the sample with us when we bought the countertop and floor tile and they coordinated perfectly, but now they clash because the panels are really beige instead of gray.

Can you tell me if the veining on your Veincut Dune panels is grayish or is it yellowish brown instead. I am wondering if something is wrong with coloring of the panels I got.

• Richard Mason

Climb On... We are building a small SIP home in the Peak 7 neighborhood of Breckenridge and was considering Kohler Choreograph. I saw your post and was curious if and when you are in town if we could take a first hand look and glean a little more information from your experience. I haven't seen it in person yet. If possible... please message me through Houzz. Many thanks!

• M Sm

Unfortunately, my contractor and husband had an excruciating time putting in these Kohler walls. They said it was literally "HELL"! Our applications was in an bath/shower combo alcove that is the same width as the bathroom and the walls are installed from top of tub to ceiling. The problems: 1) The back wall had to be cut precisely (which the contractor did a fabulous job) to exactly fit into the back wall "square" without damaging walls, top of bathtub and Choreograph. VERY difficult with ZERO clearance around the wall and ceiling!! 2) After applying the construction adhesive to the back of the panel (once the 4 dry fit sessions were completed) and the silicone to the corners to apply the corner trim, carrying that "monster" wall and trying to install it without getting adhesive and silicone all over their hands was IMPOSSIBLE! It was an absolute mess!!! Adhesive and silicone get all over the Choreograph, their hands, and the walls and bathtub!! Also, even though they taped the corner trim to the back wall to make installing easier, it was a HUGE fail. The trim kept sliding and/or pulling off. I FELT HORRIBLE for these guys. It took 2, 8 hour days just to get the back wall successfully in place and another day for the other 2 walls...meanwhile, the silicone is everywhere and the top of the bathtub was damaged! I hope we'll be able to clean up the walls ok without damaging the metal corner trim...and I pray the finished product will look ok. But, WHAT AN ANXIETY RIDDLED experience!!! Never again in our application. It would probably be easier if we had not decided to put the wall all the way to the ceiling over a tub. Maybe over a tub pan and not to the ceiling application would be a whole lot easier!!! I apologize about the duplicate photo below. After I accidentally uploaded it, I can't find where to delete the extra photo.

• julielen

I've been wondering about this product too. I'm in the middle of a tiling job that is jinxed. It'll have to get finished in tile, but I"m wondering about some kind of surround or solid surface for the other bathroom.

they do sell color samples on the website: https://pz3.comcom.com/KohlerRetail/litstore/lit_and_color_chip_store.htm

I am installing back panel and cutting only one side. Do I subtract a 1/6" or 1/8" to compensate for corner rail.

• Climb On

At least an 1/8". Look how much room you have to play with inside that channel. It's like 1/4" channel on each side If I recall correctly. I put silicone in the channel, slipped the channels over the back piece, applied adhesive on the back wall for the back piece, then slid the whole thing in so the channels stayed tight into each corner and used 2x4s to pin and hold the panel in place. I then let it dry 24 hours and did the sides.

• Sharon Secretan
    last year

I am so grateful for these comments. I don't usually post, but feel like I must because prior posts saved us a lot of grief. My husband and I just installed the Choreograph panels in our shower after I was unable to find a contractor in Tampa Fl willing to install them. S SM wrote a very real experience concerning installation.

These are NOT easy to install. The instructions say to put the glue on the back of the panels. We figured out that we were going to have glue everywhere if we did that, based on our initial fittings without the glue. And S SM confirmed that was their experience. But, someone else posted they had put the glue on the back of the wall instead, and had better luck. That's what we did, and we are so glad we did. We did get them in without glue all over the place, and they are now braced with the 2x4's. I hope the glue holds. Bracing is extremely important. The walls were pulling away before we got them braced.

The Kohler video makes the install look so easy. It is so hard. It is unbelievably hard, and really you only have one shot to get it right with all the cutting and fitting that's required. If your cuts end up too short or not exactly in the right plumbing locations, you're just screwed. This was incredibly stressful. No wonder I couldn't find a contractor to take this on. I doubt we'd ever do this again.

That said, I think it's going to be really great if it holds up. Really costly though. These panels are not cheap. Thanks to all of you who chimed in with tips. I can't thank you enough.

• S
    last year

Glad you got them in Sharon. I've installed 2 sets now. It's not easy I agree. Good bracing and lots of it, is very critical. Difficulty of the install really depends on your skill level, it was not that hard for us. I do think they will hold up very well. We used them because I am confident they will stand up longer than tile and be easier to clean and they look much more custom than fiberglass shower surrounds. Generally my confidence in Kohler has gone way down though. I'm very disappointed in the Kohler Archer shower pan we got. It's so slippery, I can't believe there haven't been lawsuits. I'm 45, and 195 lbs and very active. I've slipped and fallen once already.

BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Check Maxx U Tile as an alternative system.

• Liz
    last year

I'm in Los Angeles and just called the local Kohler showrooms today for availability. I was told at least 90 days waiting, and there will be NO manufacturing for the next 6-8 months! So, I can't rely on this for my project! I found 3 possible alternatives, but have not yet looked at samples to confirm quality: American Standard Passage, Maxx U Tile, and Swanstone. I will share my feedback once I have a chance to check out the quality of these lines. Meanwhile, anyone knows about other options, please let me know.

last year

When the installation is done correctly, the results are amazing! if done incorrectly the outcome is a blotched looking result that will drive you mad,

The receive time has improved as Kohler fell victim to the law of supply vs demand and a plant fire in early 2018.: The last update I heard was about 90 days.

Maxx Utile looks great but is 2-3 times the price but seems to be readily available SWAN close in price to Choreograph.

• Mark Owsley

I've heard that Kohler is going away from howeowner installed Choreograph and have modified the material and it is now sold as Kohler LuxStone and it is installed by a Kohler authorized installer only. The estimator/salesperson who came out said he often uses the same publicity photos from the Choreograph line because they are so similar. I ordered the Veincut Sandbar, the darker color and I'm hoping it looks as good in real life as it does in the photos. The sample he brought did not look great (lighter than what I imagined and lighter seemingly than the sample I saw in person at the Kohler Showroom at the Design Center. I think Choreograph is being phased out entirely - regardless I was told they have serious production delays and they wouldn't even take an order for Choreograph because of it.

• gabbythecat

Our contractor spoke very positively about Choreograph - ease of install, plus it looks good. So - after some searching, we found it at Build.com. They told us that they had it in stock. They charged our credit card and sent us several emails about the shipping process (would come by freight). We hadn't received an estimated time of arrival, but we expected to hear soon. But then - we got an email from Build saying that our shower walls were now backordered - they would ship in about 7 weeks (April 17). We talked to them today and found out that the shower walls would now ship May 7. We might not need the walls until May (need a date from our contractor), but the uncertainty wasn't good. We do have a construction timeline; we need the walls when our contractor is ready for them, not when Build gets them off backorder at some uncertain date. We did receive the shower base; since it is in Dune (a specific Kohler color), we have to ship it back.

We canceled Choreograph and will probably order Swanstone tonight. It sounds like a good product.

• Twosit4me

Gabbythecat- wondering if you have received your shower panels yet? We just ordered the vein cut dune from Wayfair. For what it’s worth, I have a Swanstone white subway tile shower in another bath and I love it. Didn’t, want the same white subway tile look in this bath and wasn’t crazy about my selection in the Swanstone colors so I ordered this.
    Does anybody have any input on how a white shower base would look with the vein cut dune. I plan on white toilet, sink etc so I like the idea of white shower base. Thanks for any help

• Twosit4me

I see now that you are cancelling your order. I can tell you that when I spoke to Build.com yesterday they told me it would be September at the earliest for Choreograph to arrive.

• Climb On

I have nothing but trouble with Build.com they take your money and string you along. I'll never buy anything from them again. Lowes, was also a nightmare, but I think it had more to do with the local store in Silverthorne, CO than Lowes in general. If I bought it again, I would order it from a local showroom.

Twosit4me I have done 2 showers with Vein Cut Dune with white shower bases and I think they look good.

• Steve Coe

We ordered a Vein Cut Dune Shower Wall Kit (K-97616-W07) from Lowes last December (2019). I was told yesterday that it might ship from Kohler on August 15th. I'm NOT holding my breath. Thank God we haven't started the tearout yet.....

• jbtuxedo

@ Steve, you are now scaring me. I ordered my walls in March and we were told 3 weeks ago that they would arrive this week, so the contractors started on the bathroom 2 weeks ago. Today update from the showroom is that they are currently working on February orders. But if you tell me that you have not received your December order....

• rureadyinla

Sorry to hear about the negative experiences. We had nothing but good experiences both build.com and Kohler choreograph. We have choreograph in 2 of our bathrooms. One installed a few years ago and one installed about a month ago. For recent installation, we ordered from build.com and it came within 2 weeks and then sat in garage for a couple of months. However, I will say we ordered white, both times. A sales representative from our local Kohler store told us it typically takes a bit to get most of the colored walls as supposedly those are the most popular ones. I could imagine this pandemic also caused further delays.

• jbtuxedo

The showroom just emailed me today that Kohler has decided to stop making the Choregraph walls and are cancelling all open orders.