jemgirlca

Are brown leather couches dated?

jemgirlca

We saw this couch at Costco last night. My husband loves it. It's a good deal and comfortable. I kind of like it and it's definitely better than what we have, but I want to decorate with a lighter farmhouse look. Is this color sofa dated before we even buy it?

• jemgirlca

Thanks Peggy, I love your teal one! I was looking at that one, and liked it on the costco website. That's tempting... even though it's not a farmhouse look (the brown really isn't either)

Interior Designer - Home Stylist

I didn't read all the posts above but the sofa you're looking at is extremely traditional and I wouldn't put it in a 'farmhouse' space. It's too visually heavy. You could do a leather sofa if that's what your husband prefers but I'd also be cautious of buying 'leather' from costco - I have a feeling its a bonded leather at best which could eventually start peeling

I prefer the look of a lighter leather in a farmhouse space or at least something with a more 'lived in' look as opposed to being so formal with the nailhead. Accent with whites, light neutrals, and other natural elements :)

Dark Brown Leather couch next to darker espresso bar?

Yes. The light colours are great, but I think the dark browns may dominate. (Not that I don't like brown.) Vibrant, colourful art might be all you need -- plus a few accessories that pick up a colour or two from the art. Signing off now -- I'm in South Africa and an early-to-bed-to-read kind of person. I hope you get other interesting comments; I'll check up in the morning. Good luck

Need help choosing colours for a dark brown leather couch

Are you talking cushions or toss pillows? It depends on the style, pattern and other pillows in the mix and the room's design. Can you show a photo?

"Best wood to match mahogany furniture and brown leather couch"

Since the floors will be separated by another floor (tile in the hallway) you can 'get away' with two different woods. The conventional thinking (right now) is that you want to limit the number of "floors" you have. A maximum of two floors per level is the maximum for today's resale market. If you are not concerned with resale and know you will be in the house longer than the flooring is meant to last...or you know you will simply change out all the floors should you wish to resell, then go with what you like. If resale is in your future (5-7 years) then try to stick to the "2 floors per level" rule. That means the kitchen can have it's own flooring type...and the rest is a single finish. A maple floor will become "yellower" with age. Maple can start out quite blond...but with exposure to light (UV, lamp, overhead, etc) it will get yellower. This has very little to do with the finish...and everything to do with the wood itself. Please ensure the tones you are seeing in the sample are the colours you will send in 1 year. You might be surprised to see how much different a freshly laid maple floor looks vs. one that is 1 year old. If the sample you have is the "end" colour (ie. it has already been exposed to plenty of light to get it to turn yellow) you will want to find out what the BEGINNING colour is. You may have to wait for the maple to turn the colour you want...which is again something you want to be prepared for.

What pillows for brown leather couch??

I don't have sage walls but somewhat similar I made my pillows from material purchased from Ballard design
  • RoseAbbey

Brown leather is a timeless. Usually it is the style of sofa that is dated. The one you posted imo is a timeless style, not overstuffed or too bulky looking. Its a steal at that price as long as it is good leather

• abb_ann
    Don't do couch and love seat, so dated. Do couch and 4 chairs.
  • jemgirlca
    Maybe it's the style that is bothering me, too. thanks for putting that out.
  • jemgirlca

So... I went to Costco again to look at it, and it was darker than I remembered. I decided against it. It is too dark and wrong style. What do you think of this one: http://www.costco.com/Winslow-100%25-Top-Grain-Leather-Sofa.product.100287363.html

Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    I think that styling is more appropriate for a Farmhouse space
    jemgirlca thanked Interior Designer - Home Stylist
  • jemgirlca

That one looks more like the one in the picture you posted. Thanks for the inspiration. I've sent for a swatch to see what the color looks like.

• jemgirlca

BTW, that one says that it's 100% top grain leather

Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    I think that sofa is 100 times better than what you started with! Great job :)
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    Keep us posted with progress pics ;)
  • jemgirlca

I like it better, too, I'll see what the swatch looks like. Also, I need to decide if I'm getting two sofas or one plus love seat. (I will probably get 2 fabric chairs to go with it)

• jemgirlca

Do you have any opinion on whether I should get 2 sofas or 1 plus loveseat? My room is 18ft wide x 15.5ft deep (although it's open to a huge open space.

• connie912
    I regret ever buying leather. it's hot in the summer, cold in winter, slippery, shows everything including dust.
    Don't settle for something you already have doubts about. It's an investment you have to live with too long.
    jemgirlca thanked connie912
  • jemgirlca

Thanks Connie, I already have lived with leather and we like it. I found a better choice, though if you look a couple posts up.

• David Erwin
    My advice: Costco is no place to purchase furniture and I LOVE Costco.
    jemgirlca thanked David Erwin
  • jemgirlca

So you've had a bad experience David?

• Dawn Y
    First of all thank you for NOT declawing your cats!! I have 2 cats with claws and a beautiful leather couch from Ethan Allen with great lines and warm brown leather. It is 10 years old now and my cats don't scratch it at all. Can't really get your claws into it like fabric. The only time they are on it is when I am because they are laying on me. I do advise against a cheap leather couch. They don't last and will wear much faster. This is the only pic I have on my IPad. I can take a close up tomorrow but it was worn so well ever the past ten years.
  • jemgirlca

It looks great! I like that it's more of a medium brown. I think that's what I'm going to look for (I posted one a few comments back)

Interior Designer - Home Stylist

jemgirlca I'd do sofa and two fabric chairs!

• G
    what's going to happen when the farm house trend looks dated?
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist

everything eventually looks dated, if you like a certain style you should do what makes you happy. Selecting a leather sofa as neutral as what she has will allow her to keep using it even if she changes the room around. Always keep your big pieces neutral, swapping out accessories, chairs, and window treatments are much easier than swapping out your sofa.

• jemgirlca
    That's what I was going to say. everything looks dated over time, so then up update again. The farmhouse terms is similar to what I liked before, only updated. :-).
  • jemgirlca
    Interior Designer-Home Stylist I have room for 2 couches and 2 chairs, so I'm trying to decide which 2 couches to get.
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist

posting a layout of your space with dimensions would be helpful, as well as, the dimensions of the sofa you've selected

• SandyC.
    Just read the Costco review. It's only one review but it gets 1 star. I have never heard of a sofa weighing only 147 pounds.
    What is the frame made of, plywood?
    I suggest you keep looking. Those puffy brown leather sofas are great for a basement or man cave, but not a living room. There are wonderful durable fabrics, do you really need brown leather?
    Also,a word of advice, since a sofa is one of the most used pieces of furniture, I highly recommend spending a little more than$1,000 if you want it to last more than 5 years, IMHO.
  • jemgirlca
    I'm not sure which couch you are talking about, the first one isn't online and the second one doesn't have any reviews. We've never spent more than 1000 dollars on a couch and they've all lasted more than 5 years. :-). I think I explained why it has to be leather earlier in the post. Leather is not my favorite but we love our cats, so it's the price I pay to keep my husband happy.
  • SandyC.
    The second sofa from Costco, orange leather, Winslow has one review, very bad. Just click on review.
    We have had many pets, up to four dogs at once and we've never had leather or bonded leather.
    How long do you want your sofa to last? The frame is important. Just saying there's wonderful upholstery these days and lots of up to date styles, less puffy, smaller arms.
  • jemgirlca
    Our cats have shredded several pieces of fabric furniture and we have never had problems with a frame of any of the couches we've purchased.

I don't see any reviews on that couch. I even looked on Costco ca. I didn't see any reviews on the loveseat either. Also, I'm not seeking puffy arms on it either, so in not sure what your mean.
  • SandyC.
    The sofa you posted Thursday, Winslow from Costco, there is a review that is very bad. Just click on reviews, next to product details etc. I have never bought from Costco, but I know they have a good return policy if you're not satisfied. Good luck :)
  • leelee

The Winslow looks much better. More versatile style.

Don't get a loveseat! Either two matching sofas or sofa and two matching chairs (chairs match each other but not match the sofa.)

• jemgirlca
    Thanks leelee! I actually need two couches, of some sort, and 2 chairs. I posted a floor plan above but I need to pay a new one that isn't buried.
  • jemgirlca

Hi Sandy C, I can *finally* see the review! It doesn't show up on my phone, at all, and doesn't show up as having a review on the main search page for leather sofas on Costco,com , even with my computer. Thanks for posting about it. I'm checking into the warranty and waiting for a swatch, too. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

• jemgirlca

Here is the space with our "space filler" furniture which I'm dying to get rid of. First picture has a loveseat with a full size couch. This furniture is similar in size to the ones I was look at. The second one is 2 full size sofas. I'm not sure how to deal with getting a coffee table big enough for 2 large couches?

The room is 18ft wide x 15.5ft deep with a large open space behind. The pictures were taken from the kitchen and there is dining room to the right of the pictures between the living/family room and kitchen.

• tatd
    Jemgirlca I just read the entire chain. Based on that pic go for two full couches parallel to each other, coffee table in the middle and two arm chairs facing the fireplace. If you have space put a console table behind the couch by the window with 2 lamps on it. Bonus for your cats to jump up on and use as their look out perch. Lol. Play with floor lamps on either side of the other couch in lieu of end tables. I also liked the lighter brown couch you posted. Hope it all works out and you post pics of the finished space.
    jemgirlca thanked tatd
  • jemgirlca

Thanks tatd! (and thanks for reading this whole long thread) I've tried that before and I would need two separate coffee tables to make room for the two chairs (the couches would be too far apart for one). I thought it would be ok, but some didn't like that idea. I also was a bit worried about having the leather couch in front of the window (because of potential fading?) I do like that it would be more open looking in from the kitchen possibly (depending on the chairs)

Thanks for the help! I have a lot of work to do in this house, but getting couches would be a huge start!

• Bruce Crawford

We have a 96" chocolate brown sleeper sofa that is first piece of furniture we bought in spring of '72. It's been great. Only age-related thing wrong w/ it is leather coverings on buttons (it's tufted) have dried out & finish on surface is breaking up. The throw pillows on it are light, some w/ orange pattern. It's outlived two cats, one declawed the other not. No scratch marks. The cats really didn't pay much attention to it, preferring other pieces. Only damage was caused by my sis-in-law who tore side bolster by incorrectly refolding the bed.

jemgirlca thanked Bruce Crawford
  • tatd
    Hey no problem. Buying couches is always a big dilemma no matter the price point. Especially when pressured by hubby to get on with it and make it economical all while trying to commit to the style you like without going off track. I can relate to your anxiety I think that's why I kept reading. :)

By the way I had the same problem with my old family room being wide. It was 14 feet wide from couch to couch and 21 feet wide overall. I too was looking for 2 coffee tables or a big square one. Both of those options I liked and thought would work. Anyway we ended up moving before I finished the room.

I hear you about the window and the leather. You could use a solid console like a small buffet that protects the back and put a throw over the side that gets the most sun.

I agree the two chairs will make for better flow if you keep them on the the open space side. Plus two 3 seaters will give you loads of entertainment seating. You might as well go for it since you have the room.

Oh I almost forgot to say I looked at the IKEA Stocksund you mentioned and like it a lot if you decide the lighter brown leather is not a good quality couch. Not only the light grey colour would work but also consider the blue and white it would make for and awesome farmhouse look. It has springs (not just foam) the cover is removable and washable and the price is awesome. Win/win!
    All the best.
    jemgirlca thanked tatd
  • Dawn Y
    Leather couch and 2 swivel fabric chairs. Put the chairs by your windows to take advantage of the views. This room is 20 by 22 and I did swivel chairs so you could watch Tv (hidden in hutch) enjoy the fire (opposite wall) or enjoy the view outside. Also as an FYI since home is 20 years old windows didn't have the sun protection. We had a window film professionally installed 10 years ago which you can't see but helps with fading. I love sun but it is harsh on stuff. This film totally helps.
    jemgirlca thanked Dawn Y
  • Lila

I bought the Ikea Ektorp expecting it to last just a few years but I've now had it for almost ten years and it's still in good shape. The covers are long lasting and wash very well. I also have shiplap walls.

jemgirlca thanked Lila
  • jemgirlca

We finally ordered couches this morning! I'm so excited. We got the medium brown ones from Costco that have the more relaxed look. I appreciate the help here. It gave me confidence ordering such an expensive item.

I can make/refinish other furniture, but not couches. haha Once those get here, I can start working on other things like chairs, coffee tables, etc. Thanks everyone!

• jemgirlca

So....I bought the cognac leather couches from Costco (not the ones at the beginning of the post if you are new to the post) and loved them. Unfortunately that one lone reviewer was right and the seats went flat right away. I am now back to square one trying to find couches again. We went to Macy's furniture tonight looking at another cognac one but found this taupe couch that was interesting. I liked it there, but am now second guessing wanting taupe leather. I like the lighter color, but am not sure the taupe color with the rolled arms is really what I want. To refresh your memory if you aren't reading this whole thread. I really want to decorate in a farmhouse style, but can incorporate some traditional elements. Unfortunately, I have a natural cherry kitchen and warm wood floors, so I'm not sure this will work for a bunch of reasons. Please help!

• decoenthusiaste

Before you make another expensive mistake, go back through your ideabook where you've posted living room looks you like. Narrow down the sofa pix there to 3-6 you really love. Try to see what the common theme for the sofas is and you'll have a better direction for the new replacement.

• jemgirlca
    Thanks! Costco is returning the other couches because they are defective, so no loss with those. I'll just have no place to sit because we got rid of our old couches. that's a good idea to take a look at my pinned pictures.
  • Linda Schwarzenberg

I love my cats also and get them weekly scratching pads from Trader Joe's, they never scratch on the furniture.....you can put a little catnip on the scratchers to coax them ...also, the vet tipped me on how to clip their nails with a gentle pet nail clipper...you go very slowly until they are comfortable, and do one nail per sitting....then give a treat..mine are used to trims now bc they are trusting and get treats after...just fyi for animal lovers ~

• dyliane

there is in the world wonderful beautiful sofa leathers but you don't find them at costco. sorry

• Kathie Rost

That's odd. I know Costco furniture is hardly trendy, but we've had our brown leather couch from there for over 10 years and it still looks just as good as it ever did. Two dogs all over it, too! I have no idea what some posters say about leather being hot, cold, sticky, etc. Eight of those years were in Hawai'i, where you'd stick to a vinyl chair but be perfectly comfortable in leather.

At least they have a stellar return policy!

• J J
    following
  • felizlady
    Leather is only good in a home with cats if the cats have been declawed. I have seen the results of cats at home while the homeowners were at work...SHREDDED
    leather chairs and sofa, and even the leather dining room chairs were damaged.
  • Snaggy

Old post .... people that declaw cats should not have cats !!