Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heleb

Need help choosing counters: antique black granit or Carrera Quartz?

heleb
7 years ago

I am debating between Antique Black Cambrian granit or White Carrera Quartz for our counters. I love a light an airy kitchen but at the same time user friendly as we have young adults taking over at times.

Our peninsula is 8 1/2 by 4 feet and I am wondering if the black granite might be too heavy and dark, specially during our long Canadian winter.

Thank you for helping!

Here are the pictures:

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    7 years ago

Love it! The cabinets, floors, everything! I would do both. I would use Honed Opalescent granite on the white cabinets and then something like Vegas White or Blanco Persa Granite on the grey cabinets.

heleb thanked Astonia Stone Artisans
  • D J
    7 years ago
    I would do white everywhere to tie everything together.
    heleb thanked D J
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    7 years ago

I would choose anything BUT white. White cabinets and white countertops...what could be more boring. And the 2 whites can never be the same so one or the other always looks "off". I would choose something like #1 from Astonia Stone (above) it also has movement...with soft lines for pattern interest.

heleb thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • MotherOfGiants
    7 years ago
    Cancork makes very good points. I'd recommend looking for a warmer quartz, so you can get the light look you want, but keep a cohesive feel to the kitchen.

Quartz is a wonderful material, it can take just about any food situation you (or young adults) can throw at it. We got a Cambria Torquay sample and it sat on our counters for months, taking all the potential stains we could try -- coffee, spaghetti sauce left there for a week, you name it -- nothing stuck. We didn't end up going with Cambria, but it gave me the confidence to go with the white quartz I loved!
    heleb thanked MotherOfGiants
  • heleb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so very much for your advices. I do love the stone in the first picture from Astonia. What is its name and is it possible to have an antique finish to it?

Cannock thank you for your detailed advices especially about looking at the floor to bring out together. It makes sense.

Motherofgiants, thank you also for pointing out the durability of quartz. I was under the impression that it was not as sturdy as granit. So I will look into it as well.

Barbara as for the white, you are also right, they are hard to match.

In short, I am very thankful for all your advices. It truly helped me.

• heleb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have been shopping according to your advices. This is what I found:

LG Viatera Soprano Quartz that has a bit of movements of cream and grey.

What do you think? Would that work better or would it be too "blah"

• heleb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I also found a granit: Terrabianca - Brown fantasy:

However I am wondering how it will look at the junction of the peninsula with the sink counters? They told me it is too big to follow a line??

Thank you once again for any advice.

• mlg32
    7 years ago

I love the first one you posted, it would be gorgeous in your kitchen! I think the granite is cool and would probably go well too, I just really love the first one.

heleb thanked mlg32
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

West Bay Newport Beach · More Info

what about a grey quartz? there are some really beautiful colors and it is one of the 3 colors in your kitchen

heleb thanked Jennifer Havin
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cambria Windermere Quartz with shades of grey and cream and flecks of copper would be a nice counter to tie your white, grey, and beige colors together.

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

I also love the contrast of a white kitchen and black counter. I think it is a classic and timeless look. Have you ever thought of using soapstone slightly more grey in color...I think it would coordinate well with both your white cabinets and weathered grey cabinets. Then for a little elegance add a calacutta gold backsplash with white, grey, and copper colors. To me it adds that warm color that helps tie in the flooring:)

heleb thanked kjoy1
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

I like the LG Viatera Soprano Quartz. The Brown Fantasy is lovely but you will have issues getting two slabs/cuts to sit nicely together. The only way around this is to buy TWO slabs (called book ends) where the two patterns are nearly identical. That way you can have a perfect match of pattern at the seam. It DOUBLES the cost of your stone but it is a VERY high-end look!

heleb thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    How about a medium gray or gray-patterned Quartz? It's not porous, not too dark, not the wrong white.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I have Cambria Bellingham. I think they might look good with your floors.

You can order samples from Cambria. You can also visit tile shops and check out samples.

You may need to go with a plain cream or beige so as to not compete with the floors.

heleb thanked Kathi Steele
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Here is their palette.

http://www.cambriausa.com/Designs/design-palette/

Here are some I think may go: Clyde, Coswell Cream, Cuddington, Dover, Fairborne, Sanford, Yorkshire. They are plain enough so as to not compete.

• PRO
    Alison Powers Color Consultant
    7 years ago

I agree that a plain countertop (as little pattern as possible), in a color that references your floor is the way to go. Lay your countertop samples on top of the floor tiles, and look for one that picks up one of the colors. Your floor and your countertop should look like they were made for each other.

heleb thanked Alison Powers Color Consultant
  • heleb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so very much! I took sample of my floor and put it against quite a few slabs until I found one that matches and that I like. I chose a Quartz by LG called "Viatera Soprano". It will be installed on August 23rd. Can't wait to see it. Now it is a matter of choosing the backsplash that will bring it all together. I've never realized that there were so many details in remodelling a kitchen. I'm hoping that our master bathroom renovation that is in progress will be easier than this....

• s s
    7 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a kitchen photo of their kitchen with Soprano - I can only find the one modern/far away pic on the Silestone website, and would like to see a real kitchen with it. Thanks!

heleb thanked s s
  • R M
    7 years ago

I have both black granite and black quartz in kitchen and master.........don't DO it !!!!' It shows every water spot.....tired of shining........

heleb thanked R M
  • pearl1976
    6 years ago

heleb, Did you end up installing the Soprano quartz countertops in your beautiful kitchen? I too, am interested in that quartz and would very much appreciate seeing pics if you would not mind posting. Thank you.

heleb thanked pearl1976
  • heleb
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes I did... here are pictures. I do like it very much, however I have yet to find a backsplash that will tie it all together ?!

There you go. I hope it helps.

• R M
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning.......great job. You were right not to have used black.

My master is a wow with white cabinets and black quartz, but I have to wipe up

every drop of water immediately.

As for a backsplash in your case.....from what I can see in photos, there is not a

large area to be covered. I would use the same as counter tops. I have seen

this done and it is handsome. Your flooring is busy. I wouldn't compete with

more pattern.

heleb thanked R M
  • heleb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing your impressions about the black because to be honest at the beginning and for a long while, I regretted my choice as it shines quite a bit. I was set on an antique leathered blackish brown granit and at the very last moment I changed my mind. Perhaps, it might have had an organic feel like the rest of our house and certainly would have matched our kitchen hardware better. Then again, I would have not liked to have to wipe every time water is on it.

• pearl1976
    6 years ago

heleb, Thank you so much for posting your LG Viatera Soprano pics. It is very helpful to see it in a real kitchen. It looks beautiful with your gorgeous kitchen! I love all your choices you have made thus far. Really such a fabulous kitchen! Good luck with your backsplash search . If it was my kitchen I would probably stay simple with some thing that blends right in like a small solid whitish to creamy white subway tile that co-ordinates with counter. I also think a simple 3 to 4 inch high backsplash in the countertop material might be nice and simple too ,as long as when placing it vertical it doesn't distract and compete with the floor. Often, even what seems to be a simple less busy countertop when run vertical can take on a much more noticeable and busier look when going from horizontal to vertical. I especially love the window area , how it was trimmed, the shelves and your very simple shelf décor. Nice !

heleb thanked pearl1976
  • gracevalerie
    5 years ago

Hi! I am in love with your kitchen and floors. What type of flooring is that and what paint color do you have on the kitchen wall?

• heleb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Melissa,

Thanks!

We used Picasso cobblestones for the flooring and the paint colour on the wall is Balboa by Benjamin Moore OC - 27.