0

floribunda roses and mulch

Sida Lee

Three years ago my neighbor had a huge loblolly pine cut down and the stump ground. The stump grindings were moved to the back of
her lot and placed in several small mounds.
She came over while I was working in my yard and told me I could have
all I wanted. It's more chips than mulch.
I have a row of floribunda roses that create a hedge and would like to
place the chips around them just to make it look a little neater., but pines make me
nervous due to their pH level.

Four years ago we had a pecan tree removed and ground it ourselves for mulch (nothing was added to it). When we placed it around the roses they went crazy. They grew like weeds, bloomed the whole summer and the only water they received was when it rained (since I live in the South, rain is few and far between - Zone 7). We don't fertilized our yard because we have centipede grass, which common fertilizer will kill almost overnight. Any idea what is in pecan mulch that would cause roses to go nuts? Needless to say, it's hard to find pecan mulch.

• strawchicago

Hi Sida Lee: thanks for the info. I checked on pecans. It's high on vitamin Thiamine, plus high in manganese (just as vital to roses as iron), plus lots of other nutrients like zinc and copper which helps with flowering and prevent fungal diseases.

Calcium 76.3 mg 8%

Iron 2.8 mg 15%

Magnesium 132 mg 33%

Phosphorus 302 mg 30%

Potassium 447 mg 13%

Zinc 4.9 mg 33%

Copper 1.3 mg 65%

Manganese 4.9 mg 245%

Selenium 4.1 mcg 6%

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3129/2#ixzz4EO6F92cJ

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a

I think what happened when the pecan tree mulch (hard wood mulch) decomposed it made a good fungal food for the soil , and like Straw said provided the right amount of the proper nutrients. The mycorizzalfungi feed the roses in exchange for the exudates the roses share with the mycorizzalfungi and bacteria and the other life (protozoa, nematodes , micro arthropods,a and the earthworms). It was a good relationship the roses have with the soil. It came at the right time to feed the soil. It is good to have a more fungal dominated soil with the roses (shrubs) as well as bacteria. Like an old growth forest.

You are right to be suspicious about the pine mulch (soft wood mulch). As It may not produce as much beneficial fungi and might produce some disease causing fungi and might not have as many of the nutrients in the proper balance. An Idea is , maybe you could get a few bags of pecan shell mulch to mix in with the 3 year old pine chips?

I love this story about the shredded wood chips of the pecan tree. It works good for your region. It is a good local story.

Here is Elaine Ingham explain soil science.

https://youtu.be/nWeenFw_xV4

If you see the earthworms crawling around in the pine than it might be good.

• vaporvac

This is exactly what I've been trying to do mixing my wood compost and mixed leaf compost together. I always try to keep in mind the natural breakdown present in a forest and work from there. I just wish I had a shredder or something to move the process along a bit faster!