Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoobiezoobiezoo

Grout line question for glass subway tiles?

Melinda Verner
7 years ago
We're getting ready to order these glass subway tiles for our kitchen backsplash. When the tile installer measured yesterday, he said that the 3x6 tiles will be an odd lay out because the measurement from the countertop to the cabinet is 18 7/8" which would cause a very thin rip piece at the top unless we wanted to go with an 1/8" grout joint (in which case the rip piece would be about 1") My questions are:

1.) Which size grout joint is best for glass subway tile? Is 1/8" too thick? We like clean lines and our house is a modern farmhouse style. Kitchen island is marble and surrounding countertops are black soapstone if that helps pull the picture together.

2.) Has anyone installed glass subway tiles as a backsplash and regretted it? It's not too late for us to reconsider but we need to decide soon.

3). Tile installer also suggested doing a mosaic strip to resolve this issue but we don't really want a decorative strip in the kitchen.

Also, all of the cabinets are not yet installed in these pictures. We plan on having the backsplash installed between the countertops to cabinet bottoms, behind the range and the range hood, and around the window to the ceiling and to the right of the window where a cabinet will be installed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    7 years ago

Ask him to tell you what kind of grout lines you would have if you rotated the subway tiles 90 degrees and ran them vertically. Since you are going up around the window, I personally feel that this looks more natural.

Glass subway tile is great, it is easy to maintain and offers a great variety of color: ask your contractor what kind of grout he plans to use. There are premixed options that are never seal, they cost more up front but in the long run its way less of a hassle.

Melinda Verner thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • adelisa
    7 years ago
    We just had these installed and are pleased with results.
  • pedrin_esq
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your Tiffany Blue glass tiles look amazing next to the quartz countertop and cabinets. Who was your designer? De La Riva?

• rachelleny
    7 years ago

Adelisa - whose tiles are those - they are gorgeous!

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    7 years ago
    Your beveled glass tile will work with a 1/16" grout joint. That makes the final rip almost 1 1/2"...or half a 3X6. Tile can also be laid with a starting rip...so top and bottom would match in approximately a 2/3rds cut.
  • NonGAAPMeasure
    7 years ago

We are about to install those exact tiles. Our countertop is white quartz with a little grey swirling. What width grout did you go with?

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You may want to consider a few install points first .. The Glass MFG themselves have specific installation specifications. They will tell you proper accepted grout joint and what type of adhesive they want you to use with their particular glass this will also help you in a wrrty or failure situation.-best

• PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    7 years ago

I had glass subway tile installed in one of my clients homes recently and I think it turned out beautiful. I would advise against any sort of mosaic strip as you're taking something clean and timeless and making it 'trendy'. The decorative strip will more than likely instantly date your backsplash.

We used thin grout lines as well

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Wht those switch plates on the white tile too bad it spoils the affect as for the question 1/8” with unsanded grout should be fine that is what i use most of the time.

• flopsycat1
    7 years ago

Zoobie- Your house looks great. Any follow up pics to post?

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    I would just add that cutting glass tiles can result in finely chipped edges, which my installer said could not be prevented. I was not impressed but had to accept as they were. Up under the cabinet bottoms it was not as noticeable.
    Try to avoid cutting if the math works, follow advice of these pros with your grout widths if that will help. Good luck.
  • Melinda Verner
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The tile was made by Vicci Design, color was Cadet Grey and I ordered it from Wayfair.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

1/8" grout joint with rip under cabinets, non sanded grout. Installer should be using a modified white thinset to set the tile, do not use mastic.

• Lara Ortiz
    7 years ago
    Melinda did you end up going with 1/8"?
  • jenzarem
    6 years ago

This is our glass subway tile with 1/8th grout line.

• sjsshank
    6 years ago
    I would listen to your tile installer and do a mosaic strip.
  • kudzu9
    2 years ago

Make sure your installer is using a tile blade intended for glass. Our tiler was using his regular blade that worked fine for everything else, but caused chipping on the glass tile with every cut until he started using a special purpose blade for glass. And don't let your installer tell you chipping can't be avoided, or that the blades are expensive...the one my tile guy switched to cost $11.