Looking for paint colors ideas for my dark Great Room

Becky
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

becky_forcht's ideas · More Info

Multiple additions/renovations to this "new to us" home have left the great room with limited natural light. We are remodeling this space and I need some help! Room dimension is 30x30 with 8 foot ceilings; fireplace on the north wall has large windows on each side. Only light on the east wall is a glass door and sidelight. South wall leads to other parts of the home. On the west wall there is 4'x4' opening (former window) in the kitchen area and a 15' opening to an enclosed deck/sunroom that provides lots of bright light later in the day but diffused light earlier in the day. I'm having difficulty coming up with wall colors for the fireplace wall and the east wall. The south and west wall space is minimal so will be easy to finish out with my other color choices. Hardwood floor is a brighter mid-tone brown with golden highlights. Kitchen cabinets are a mid-darker brown tone to blend with window trim. Fireplace is a stacked travertine. Large kitchen island is Black Fusion; other countertops are Magma; backsplash is travertine planking. Planning on white baseboards, doors, and plantation shutters; oil-rubbed bronze hardware. I like neutral colors with spots of color. Inspiration piece for accent colors is a picture we'll hang over the fireplace that has dulled orange, dark olive greens, black, frame is black with filets in gold. Any ideas?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

You want more light but you are going to block 1/2 of what light you get with plantation shutters sorry i don’t get it. Pics of the actual space would be very helpful right now I would choose a very light greige to pull the spaces together.

Becky thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

I like the green in your picture frame.

Becky thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    More bright means off white walls... Maybe. Try a color that pulls all these different parts together. Here are two i would make sample boards and see which direction is best. SW Sea Salt; and SW Agreeable Gray and the ole standby SW Accessible Beige. Somehow the Sea Salt just might be an interesting choice. All depends on the natural and artificial light in your space.
    Becky thanked Flo Mangan
  • Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My intent with the plantation shutters was to add a bit of West Indies vibe to the room. The view outside one of the west windows shows my neighbors backyard shed,etc. Our home sits up high enough that I could keep the lower third of the shutters closed and the upper two-thirds open and not see their things. Previous owner had woven wood Roman shades; they closed off a lot of light too.

• leelee
    7 years ago

How big is the picture you're hanging over the fireplace? Hard to tell but it looks on the smallish side.

Becky thanked leelee
  • Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The picture is 32" x 32"

• Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a picture of the room . . . still lots of work to do!

• Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was leaning toward off-white or a very light beige/gray/greige, but read somewhere that it's better to use a saturated color in a darker room . . . guess that is what through me off . . . ???

• Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Leelee . . . I will probably have to reframe my picture . . .you are right, I won't have as much space above the future mantle as I do now.

• leelee
    7 years ago

How high are your ceilings? They look low?

I can see where a rich color might look good in certain rooms but I don't think you should follow that here.

With your choices for the counters and cabinets you really need to lighten up on the walls. Especially if the ceilings are low.

Becky thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ha, just reread your intro and the ceilings are 8 feet which is on the low side.

Not only would I keep the walls light neutral also go with furniture/rug that's light, too.

Becky thanked leelee
  • Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ceilings are 8" high. We wanted to raise them at least a foot or two, but short of tearing the roof off the house that wasn't possible.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I thought I might bring attention to one of the color choices I mentioned SW Sea Salt. See next picture

South Shore Cottage · More Info
    If you look at the words in the accompanying description, it says great things about this color. I think it is an interesting choice that might bring real life to your room. At least worth a sample board!
    Cottage Renovation · More Info
    Another look at this color. I kind of hate to just go with the "standard" Dove White, etc., but I realize this room needs some added lift. I can't recall from your initial post whether there were plans for lighting? It might be good to do a "crown molding" large enough to house some LED strip lighting that would be an additional source of light for your space. Artificial lighting will be very important in this space.

• PRO
    Flintridge Design Inc.
    7 years ago

White walls. Use accessories to tie in the colors, pillows, curtains, furniture etc.

Becky thanked Flintridge Design Inc.
  • leelee
    7 years ago

One other consideration...you've chosen dark counters and cabinets. By using an off white paint for the walls, you'll make those counters really pop! Don't even think about doing an accent wall on the smaller walls you mentioned.

Becky thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Do you have pictures of the backsplash? You'd be smart to wait until the counters are installed before you make a final decision on the backsplash. Just Say No to the 4" backsplash out of counter material. This is something that the granite counter people will try to talk you into.

Becky thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

This is one of my favorite kitchen ideas. The electrical outlets are installed under the cabinets so they don't interfere with the backsplash tile.

Under cabinet lighting too!

Becky thanked leelee
  • Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We'll be using travertine planking for the backsplash; similar to this picture:

• Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great idea for the electrical outlets! And yes, we will have both undercounter and overcounter lights in the kitchen area along with cans and island pendants. I hope I have the lighting issue covered!

• Becky
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you to everyone for posting your ideas. I think I'm leaning towards a very light beige so I'll still have a little contrast to the white plantation shutters. Any additional suggestions will always be welcomed!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner