Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Remember a movie filmed in house with water wheel?

sunfeather
7 years ago

I'm trying to remember the title or details of a movie I saw years ago that featured a house with a glass wall showing a waterwheel. It was a suspense movie - could have been made for TV. Love converted grist mill houses.

Comments (32)

• sail_away
    7 years ago

"The Long Kiss Goodnight" with Geena Davis? I've seen a few minutes of it on TV and it just happened to have the waterwheel. I gather it had to do with Geena Davis forgetting her past life (perhaps as an assassin or some kind of agent?).

sunfeather thanked sail_away
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Not sure why I opened this because I don't see many movies and I surely don't remember about them, but I do love a water wheel! Google sent me right to pinterest where there was a reference to a movie named Sweet Home Alabama being filmed at a mill with a water wheel. Probably not it, but if you have joined Pinterest, I thought you might enjoy this page of waterwheels. Gorgeous!!
    Grist Mills on Pinterest

sunfeather thanked Olychick
  • arcy_gw
    7 years ago

Our neighbor had a water feature that looked like an old mill complete with water wheel, about 6ft. It was adorable.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! The movie I'm remembering was from decades ago... Sure wish I could find it.

• peaches12345
    7 years ago

I emailed a friend who is a movie guru. She said all she could think of is All That Heaven Allows with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman. She turns an old mill into a beautiful home.

sunfeather thanked peaches12345
  • peaches12345
    7 years ago

All That Heaven Allows was filmed in 1955. Rock Hudson played the nurseryman who helped Jane Wyman, an older woman who just moved to town, build the home from the old mill.

sunfeather thanked peaches12345
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think that is the movie but thanks so much! Seems like it was from the 60's and could have been a made to TV movie - maybe someone like Elizabeth Montgomery or someone of that era. It was a mystery/thriller.

• rubyclaire
    7 years ago

I keep thinking of "Moonspinners" with Haley Mills. Is that possible? I just have some vague memory...

sunfeather thanked rubyclaire
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Momma Goose - that looks very similar to what I remember but the house was a little more modern and the wall with the water wheel was solid glass rather than panes... It was on TV. But that movie looks like a good one!

Ruby - Moonspinners was one of my favorite movies back then but those windmills were outdoors and in Greece. Great movie.

• rubyclaire
    7 years ago

rgrs - ha ha...so close! Hope someone comes up with this for you - these little mysteries drive me crazy when they happen to me.

sunfeather thanked rubyclaire
  • ILoveRed
    7 years ago

All that heaven allows....

Rock Hudson has the barn house. She has the in town colonial that her kids don't want her to sell when she falls in love with Rock and his house. Snotty spoiled kids ;-)

one of my favorite movies.

sunfeather thanked ILoveRed
  • patiencenotmyvirtue
    7 years ago

Mama goose, those built in beds were delightful, especially with the shuttered window over each bed. What about that statue on the newel post, though? He'd be a goner in no time if that was my house. I enjoyed the video.

sunfeather thanked patiencenotmyvirtue
  • amykath
    7 years ago

Was the movie in color or black and white? This is driving me crazy. I love being able to find out answers to tough questions and I have been scouring the internet to find this one.

sunfeather thanked amykath
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aktillery - I'm pretty sure it was in color - a more modern movie than those mentioned above. Thanks!

• localeater
    7 years ago

Can't substantiate that it has a water wheel, but Elizabeth Montgomery did make a cult favorite made for TV film called You'll Never See Me Again in 1973. It also starred David Hartman.

sunfeather thanked localeater
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I found that movie with David Hartman but didn't see Elizabeth Montgomery listed. But I think we are getting close -- I think it may have been an ABC movie of the week :-)

• amykath
    7 years ago

I cannot find a water wheel is this but I keep thinking of the super modern house from When A Stranger Calls. It had a ton of water features outside of the glass windows. Does it sound familiar?

sunfeather thanked amykath
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Don't think that was it but looks like a scary one!

• daki
    7 years ago

Somewhat related, this post reminded me of a vacation rental with a window overlooking a water wheel. Finally found it. a ferry boat vacation rental near San Fransisco.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3007947

sunfeather thanked daki
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow - nice VRBO :-)

• amykath
    7 years ago

Daki, that is the closest anyone has come to finding such a combination. What a beautiful place!

• daki
    7 years ago

Isn't it cool? I'd love to spend a few days there

• HU-780165460
    4 years ago

It’s Shuttered homes

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hu - what?

• HU-677823478
    3 years ago

Signpost to Murder. I am watching it now.

sunfeather thanked HU-677823478
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Signpost to Murder is on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Yyda3Dg1Q

It's an hour and 17 minutes long in black and white.

Signpost to Murder 1964 Crime, Thriller, Joanne Woodward, Stuart Whitman, Edward Mulhare

sunfeather thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • sunfeather
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't think that is the one I'm remembering. It was in color and I thought made for TV.

• Darren Marc
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I keep thinking of a movie like that for years now, but sure it was a soIid pane of glass, like a picture window with a water wheel outside. Pretty sure it wasn't black and white and was a murder mystery. I am going to look up some of the movies others have suggested. I seem to remember a sunken lounge or living space on two levels.

• HU-394675195
    2 years ago

I am looking for a movie that could be the same if not just exceptionally close. Waterwheel, twin girls, one lives (evil one) and takes the place of the other (good one - think she drowns?) and it was color, and I think it was an ABC movie of the week or made for tv movie. Came out around the same time as the Parker Stevenson movie This House Possessed!

• Julie Buser
    last year

Are you thinking of the house from Hocus Pocus with the water mill?

• HU-394675195
    6 months ago

I was literally just talking about this movie & cannot remember much other than twin girls, a water wheel, the good twin dies & the bad twin takes her place. Perhaps made for TV, definitely around 1981 (same as The House Possessed), and was in color. i have been trying to figure this

out for years & it drives me crazy!! Thought Kirstie Alley played the twins but no idea… Ugghhh