Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadulczak

Dining room!

Cait
7 years ago
After 4 years of being in our house I am finally ready to complete the dining room and need HELP! Rug, paint, window treatments! The runner is from the upstairs hall I brought town to get an idea of color. Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (691)

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Flo - just for you :)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Cait...looks wonderful...the chandelier is perfect now:))

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Hallelujah! Thanks! Looks really beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy many wonderful moments and memories in the space.

• Alex511
    7 years ago

Wow! What an amazing transformation, Cait!

• lehewp
    7 years ago
    Your room has turned out amazing. I would not change one thing.
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is this how these work?
  • Patty Serpone
    7 years ago
    I believe so
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I have learned that They wave best if the clip is on one side of the back tab and not directly on the tab...try that it should work well... can't wait to see it all!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

You can also just clip in a small pleat at each tab.....some like it that way too! Looks nice when the drapes are stationary.

• Susan B
    7 years ago
    Oh now you're just teasing us. I'm dying to see these curtains hung!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Like this?
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Or this?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Are you sure of the length with the rings? Or do you get the right length with the rings? I like to take new drapery to my dry cleaner and have them press them into the fold shape I want. I gives a polished, nice finished look. I am not crazy about those rings. They don't look proper scale to the drapery weight?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Sorry horrible quick draft:(

• zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Are they up? Anxiously awaiting the reveal.. lol :)

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ?
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Tomorrow morning 9:30am EST lol!
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Thx... will be peeking in! :)

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Flo I'll definitely take them to the cleaners!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    They are up but are too long. I should have got the 84 inch with the rings. They are on the floor a few inches. Does this look ever work where they're laying on the floor? Or will I need to go take them to be hemmed
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I would remove the rings. See how that works. You can hang them from the inside loops. I think that might look better anyway. More formal looking. Try that.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Where did you hang the rod? Should be as close as possible to ceiling...you can do a puddle but I think you will prefer them just touching the floor a bit....

• Margo
    7 years ago

Ugh.. to puddles;(

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Pic!
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think I will get them hemmed! Do the cleaners usually do this? I'll get them pressed too!
  • Margo
    7 years ago

Can't you exchange them for the 84" ones?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Measure to see if 84" works before you go to the expense of hemming. Do you like the look in general?

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I can't exchange them it's past 30 days, but it's okay bc I can get them hemmed. I may try putting them together at each side and see how I like it and also adding the rings. I do like them with the room
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OK, if you like them then I like the idea of just sides with panels. It won't look so heavy. Your room is lovely, so this is just the frosting on the cake! Too bad you have to have them hemmed. That is a bummer. But they are just too long.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hemmed and you need the rings to complete the look..I would not do the tabs...the rings will look much better!:) honestly the would maybe change $20 a panel and will press them for you at a tailor.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I do remember that 84" was to short and that the next size up would be to long..they will look beautiful hemmed and hung on rings...metal rings are a different look than the big wood rings so no worries the ring size is very appropriate for those panels.....

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Julie I think that's where I'm getting confused at because the clips on the rings are the only way to hang it I can't just loop the curtain tab onto the ring. Does that make sense and is that what you were trying to say?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

the rings clip onto the top of the drape so you have to take that "length" into account for total length of drape. Looks like maybe 3"? The clip just hooks onto top or just under the top of the drape panel.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

The tabs inside the drape are made so you could run a rod through them if you want to hang that way. That approach is for a more stationery panel because moving those on a rod is more difficult than rings.

• Margo
    7 years ago

Why are you using rings? I think this room is more elegant than rings??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Margo, I agree, I think the rings are too casual for a formal dining room.

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I will be moving the plant stand in front of the window.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Rings are used any many formal dining spaces?? In Cait's case they will look beautiful with her woven shades...

sometimes I really think I am ganged up on for no reason...sorry Cait but you can use the rings and in my opinion they will be great I do love the drapes only hung on the sides of the window...very nice:))

talk to you soon Cait:))

• Margo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Home Interiors_Sorry that giving an opinion makes you feel ganged up on?? As a Pro you should be able to handle that.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Oh no problem here!I have very thick skin:)) But just wanted to show rings on drapery can be in any style space formal or casual.

• Margo
    7 years ago

True, but even in the pics you have shown, I would preferred no rings, no puddles. All preference;)

• Joy
    7 years ago
    Have you hemmed your draperies? When I took my draperies into be hemmed I had the cleaners dry clean them first. Surprise of surprises they shrunk in the cleaning process (Pottery Barn draperies). I also vote for hanging your draperies by the tabs on the rod. If you prefer rings, which are a lovely look too, I would use rings without the clips, use hooks. It looks like you have a tape sewn on the back of your draperies for that purpose?
  • Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The drapes are at the cleaners being pressed! Picking up on Friday and then I will have the lady come over to measure and hem them.

How do you all feel about hanging a wine rack right when you first walk in to the right? I have a floor one in the kitchen, but my one year old found them yesterday and now I have to move them and I need a place to store my wine! Mama needs her wine!

A few I found. I would like it to hold at least 7-10

https://www.wayfair.com/Brayden-Studio%C2%AE-Haviland-10-Bottle-Wall-Mounted-Wine-Rack-BRSD6225.html

https://www.wayfair.com/Red-Barrel-Studio%C2%AE-Caffey-24-Bottle-Wall-Mounted-Wine-Rack-RDBS6730.html

2 of these next to each other https://www.wayfair.com/Mercury-Row%C2%AE-Zaniah-7-Bottle-Wall-Mounted-Wine-Rack-MCRR1516.html

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Read up on wine. The worst thing you can do for a bottle of wine is expose it to natural light. So don't do the wine rack thing. Many other better choices. Wine should be stored with the bottle slightly tilted to the cork to keep the cork wet and the bottle sealed against air intrusion. Red wines need to be kept at about 56 degrees and whites cooler. If you even slightly like wines, or you would like to be more informed about wines, you can google "need to know about wines, storage principles" words like that and you will find a lot of good information. The proper shape glass for the specific wine is also VERY important. So, read up and you will find you enjoy your wines so much more it will be hard to believe. As a test, take a medium priced bottle of your favorite wine. Let's say it is a Chardonnay. Get a simple water glass. Then also get a "chardonnay" glass which would be one shaped with about 5" of height in the glass itself and wider at the bottom than the top edge and not too wide. You can find the exact shape. Buy one at a wine specialty shop. Then, pour the same amount (about 4 oz.) into each glass. First, taste the one in the water glass. Then rinse your mouth with water and wait a minute or so. Then try the same wine in the proper glass. Taste a difference? Is the proper glass way better! Yes, I am betting this will be the result. You can do the same test with a red wine (not chilled!!! ). You can go on line to Riedel.com and see their various lines from top quality to moderate to low. Target sells their moderate line and it is well worth the investment. Wine Enthusiast also has lots of interesting facts, pictures, suggestions, etc. You can learn to really enjoy wines in a totally different way. Sorry for that excursion into Wine Country, but hope it gives you something to try!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here is a quick screen shot of glasses. Cheers!

wine glasses · More Info

• Cait
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Flo!

So I need something here?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Since you have the black iron chandy, the gold mirror, perhaps a grouping of maybe 4 black and white photos with black frames and white mats might be striking without taking away other elements. Also, didn't you have a bar cart in black iron? Is that in the room? Could it go there with a grouping above it? Here is an example. Although this is a grouping of six, it is just for "concept".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Lakemont · More Info
    These are interesting architectural photos.

• Joy
    7 years ago
    Cait, are you going to post the final results? Would love to see your room with draperies hung. The room has turned into a beautiful space, warm and sophisticated.
  • mrc345
    6 years ago
    Has your dining room been finished? Would love to see some pictures of it all finished.