Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janagalewski

Are these curtains too crazy

jflash G
7 years ago
This is our sunroom, painted behr desert coral. I took a risk with the paint, and I don't want to give up on it just yet. I am trying to find some curtains to start and then build on that with other decor. I have always liked the Charlotte panels from PB in the picture, and I am wondering if it is worth a shot. The curtains in the pictures are just whatever I had to throw on there. Are the Charlotte panels a good idea? Or do I need to go with something more neutral? I think the bright room may be nice in the dead of Minnesota winter.

Comments (38)

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    One picture is what the room looks like in the morning. The other is after my kids are done with it. It's hard to get a good picture of the color with the light form the windows.
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

A designer with a better eye for color will probably have better ideas - but my first thought is a nice off-white linen look. I feel like the PB option is too busy and a bit old-lady looking. I think an off-white will blend the wood and the walls better. Also maybe roman shades instead of drapery panels? Just because drapery panels are a bit difficult with furniture right against the windows.

• PRO
    Design Details
    7 years ago

OK if you're looking for a '70's vibe. There is a lot of coral wall. It needs big calming accents to make it more livable. The cool accent wall and low ceiling in the adjacent room with the gerbera daisies is a refreshing contrast.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ha yeah not really going for old lady or 70s. I was a little nervous even posting the pictures... there are shades in the windows that are kind of light filtering. I don't really use them though so I thought panels might add some accent and other color.
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

What a beautiful room! Love the ceiling! But too dark with the wood and all that coral. Maybe leave the back pitched wall coral and paint the rest a buttery yellow to brighten up the entire space. You should be able to find some great curtains with coral and butter.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Those are pretty kjbjw! They would even brighten up the room if/when I paint it back to a neutral color.
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

These colors look pretty together.

• PRO
    Catherine Schager Designs
    7 years ago

I think your coral walls are pretty but they're not really tying in with the rest of the room. If you selected a lighter background fabric with some coral in it (can still be a floral, but maybe an updated one) that also has some of the sofa color in it you'd be better off. Maybe consider a woven wood shade in the color of your ceiling to tie things together also.

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    7 years ago

I agree with Catherine. If you want to keep the coral, you'd be best to paint the ceiling and the window trim white. But with that wood tone, the coral is far too dark and strong.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    7 years ago

A lighter coral paint color would help a lot- sort of like your small throw rug. And a new contemporary ceiling fan. Good luck :)

• Jan Brandvold
    7 years ago

The important thing is do YOU love it? I think it is beautiful and I like that splash of color in your home. You need more accessories that contrast and go with that lovely blue in the room next door to tie it all together. Get some blue and light yellow throw pillows and a matching throw. Lose the rugs on top of the rug -- makes it look cluttered -- or go with a much bigger topper. The scale is wrong. Are those floor pillows in the geometric print? Get a couple light yellow to tone them down a bit and stack when not in use. The black (or dk brown) chair is not right for this light and airy room. Find a pair of wicker chairs to lighten it up. And those curtains...who cares what others think? They are cute, and if you love them keep them!

• Bev
    7 years ago

The coral is a beautiful color! I love the drapes that kjbjw suggested and I also suggest painting the trim and ceiling a creamy white, which would set off that beautiful color. I love the artwork that 111ideahound suggested!

• Sherre Bishop
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Even though I LOVE rich, dramatic colors, it feels "heavy" with the deep wood ceiling AND the deep walls. It needs contrast. I wouldn't do lower parts light (you said kids). Maybe the v-shaped section above the window could be painted creamy white? I'm sure an expert could suggest other portions to make the contrast pop. Lighter furniture would be nice but it's not practical for this room (you said kids). Lighter pillows could work, much cheaper to replace if ruined, than furniture. Fun light artwork with yellows and would lighten things up with contrast too.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the suggestions to paint the trim and ceiling white and I think that would look awesome, but our whole house has that wood trim and I don't know if we are ready to do that at this point.. I hadn't thought about painting the triangular sections a creamy white that could look cool. The room actually does get a lot of light, I think the pictures make it look darker than it is. I will attach this panoramic even though it is not as fluorescent as it looks but it shows the bright room. I think I have some ideas to try and make the color work. Maybe I could do a different furniture arrangement (with different furniture) so curtain panels wouldn't look so weird tucked back behind the couch. I really appreciate the suggestions! I didn't expect this much feedback but it is great, so thanks!!
  • jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is how bright it is...
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

really pretty and I can see how that would like so refreshing it's grey outside. What about the print from the curtains in some pillows? I agree with pulling that blue in there. The curtains I think need to be neutral but maybe some texture, flax linen?

• User
    7 years ago

I love the room! What about pairing the coral with blue or a light grey? I like the pattern of the curtains but I think the print would look better on throw pillows.

Here's some ideas

Ikat Cotton Single Curtain Panel, Blue, 50"x96" · More Info

Indonesian Blue Printed Cotton Twill Curtain · More Info

Serena Window Panel Single Ivory 54x84 · More Info

Flower Drops Window Panel Single Ivory/Purple 42x84 · More Info

Elisa Emboidered Curtain Panel, Taupe, 95" · More Info

Riley White Window Curtain Single 54x84 · More Info

Brillante Pillow, Antiqued Pillow · More Info

Studded Herringbone Pillow Cover, Natural, 20"x20" · More Info

Indigo Batik Pillow Cover, Floral Indigo Blue Pillow · More Info

Flowering Branch Rectangle Throw Pillow · More Info

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Jan Brandvold, you are saying 'who cares what others think about the curtains', this is what she posted as a dilemma, so she does care about what others think.

jflash - I agree, the curtains look old too old for someone's home who has small children....a.k.a. - old lady looking.

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    @shirlpp, yes, she's looking for validation in her decorating choices. "If you love it, use it" is a validation that her choice will work. One of the issues I have with Houzz is that it is design by committee. All of the rooms end up looking the same. Same gray walls, same gray furniture, same white curtains. So when someone wants to try something different, I believe we should but our tastes aside (we don't, after all, have to live there), and support their desire to make their own choices.
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

I agree teamaltese, that once a Houzzer answers, a lot of others follow suit, however, that is not what I do. I am trying to give my best advice as I see it, whether I like the choices that the OP has or not. I do not understand the gray thing, and would never use it in my home, so it is refreshing to see walls that are not gray. I'd hope that all posters take all advice with a grain of salt.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I would not recommend you purchase those floral drapes for your room. Scale and pattern don't complement your existing selections.

If the coral paint color stays, then it seems appropriate to accent the blues in your room. Here are drapery options from Overstock.

• Liz H
    7 years ago
    Oh, my...I love the look of the blue/white drapes against that coral wall! Although I like the drapes from PB, their combination with the walls makes me feel claustrophobic, panicky, strangled--and not in good way. I also want to mention that you people should stop bagging on the tastes of old ladies. As an old lady, I feel rather insulted.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    7 years ago

The blue drapes and striped rug look great with your color. Has a vibrant, fun and dare I say "young" vibe.

• b1016
    7 years ago

The coral is amazing! To me, the blue draperies make it a bit busy and choppy - I like the coral and off-white suggestion in a link above - or something similar - which creates a lighter feel - and then bring the blue from the adjacent rooms in with a larger rug and/or pillows.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

My previous posted suggestions are based on working with the coral painted room that is pre-existing. Frankly, compared to the rest of the house, that room looks like it's on fire and seems totally inappropriate to the rest of the home.

It's ok to have a room the makes a different statement, but as mentioned before, the combination of the paint color with the lovely wood ceiling is a a very heavy statement. Here is an alternate suggestion keeing the coral color and the existing ceiling.

• connie912
    7 years ago
    Talking about an old lady look! Mid-century is a great grandma look and now being treated as something wonderful and new. Look back at some of the old " I Love Lucy" reruns and you'll see your current sectional sofas.
    To each his own! There is nothing new under the sun!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

The fabric is not too crazy; it is too cute for the room. You have four obvious colors going on in your room. I think each needs to be in the fabric you choose.

This is available on etsy.com

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes Beverly you are correct it sometimes looks like it's on fire. I do like the color...
    My other paint options I am considering were behr perfect taupe and behr wheatbread...
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

jflash G, It's your home. Those are just my comments. Had a red room once in a home, and I was tired of it by the time I finished painting it. Also I noticed driving down my street one night when I left the lights on, that my library looked as though it was on fire the way the paint glowed out through the windows. Just drew too much attention and too many comments from my neighbors.

• jflash G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh no, I had the same thoughts as we finished painting. I am not opposed to a repaint that's for sure. Just thought I'd try and make it work first. It was previously a muddy green and we had muddy green furniture and it was awful. I'd really just like to redo the whole room to be honest. Down to bare bones and restart! But not paint the ceiling or trim :) I think a light curtain color and I really like the look of the striped rugs. I love the looks you all did.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    7 years ago
    The room does need some cooling off, & a better tie-in...I like what Beverly suggests for you.
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    I like the blue with the walls, almost like your puffs, except opposite, more creamy white then blue. Pull sofa slightly away from window so they aren't crushed.
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    Put the blue chair were the puff is now and maybe get some kind of bookcase with baskets for kids toys to go n that wall. If you want to add some color look for outdoor area rugs for front of couch, but much larger at least width of sofa.
  • User
    7 years ago

I don't think the color of the curtains looks nice with the wall color. But I don't care for the wall color either. I would rather have a lighter look for my own personal thought but everyone is different so if u like it then go for it! It's ur house n u have to like it. Others don't matter because u can't please everyone anyway. :)

• jflash G
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So not sure if anyone comes back to read these but I thought I'd post a picture of what this room looks like now with Perfect Greige from SW. I tried to make that coral work... but now we can enjoy the room without our sunglasses on and it is much calmer. The plants are all over because it was storming so I brought them in from the deck. So much calmer in there now! Im thinking of not doing curtains at all now.
  • Sherre Bishop
    6 years ago

Awesome. Clean, crisp, airy look. I like it. If privacy is not an issue--I love the "curtainless" option. Very nice. Once you get bored --you could add a snazzier. Unique rug (maybe with orange in it to use as a focal point in the room).

• User
    6 years ago

Looks like a nice place to relax!