Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bzarza

What color for our kitchen?

Rebecca Z
11 years ago
Our short sale is finally closing! The entire house is painted grey, inside and out, so we like to start by painting the kitchen. We were thinking a light green or a golden yellow, but not sure, the windows look out to the pine trees :) The stools shown aren't there, so maybe I could bring in color that way?

Comments (22)

• Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I think yellow may make your floors and possibly cabinets look too yellowish.
  • PRO
    Riddle Construction & Design
    11 years ago
    I would pick up a color that is in the granite. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it has some gold in it. Be careful tho if the cabinets are the old bleached stain as that typically has a pink cast to it and that can be difficult to work with.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I wonder if Ben Moore Rosemary Sprig would work?
  • carolannr
    11 years ago
    Won't be a problem with a pale green. I am so tired of grey - its dull and boring!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Maybe darker than u wanted?
  • Rebecca Z
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree carolannr, there's so much grey in the house already! I actually feel a little cold when we go inside! Good point Jayme on the yellow, the rosemary sprig looks pretty grey though too, does anyone have any stool ideas? Or should I stay neutral on the stools? Like the ones shown? Getting to paint the walls is new after apartment life, but I don't want to go crazy!
  • Rebecca Z
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh, I do like the pic! Its not as grey as I thought!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @bzarza..it looks greener on the wall, doesn't it?
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Ben Moore Abingdon Putty
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    This is lighter
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Ben Moore Fernwood Green
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Here are some more Ben Moore greens
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    If it's an open space, think about how your kitchen color will work with the rest of the house color. Will you be painting everywhere pretty soon, or living with the gray for a while?

I suggest you find an inspiration piece and pull your colors from that. If you're keeping some gray, make sure it's part of your inspiration piece. Use fabric (pillow, curtains), a painting, photograph, or anything you like.

There are some really nice gray and yellow fabric patterns. Maybe one of those used in your kitchen curtains would help tie a yellow kitchen in with the rest of the house.
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Sorry to say this, but I think the wall color is absolutely perfect..........I guess it was designed to sell!!!! You just need to personalize the space not and make it you!!!!!! I would add clean lined curtain panels to the windows, and if you so choose, bamboo blinds. The lighting above the barstool leaves very little to be desired. Updating it to something transitional would be perfect. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/oil-rubbed-bronze-wall-sconce__22125.html And here is a curtain panel example, and I would hang it on a dark rod for contrast. http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/edison-square-grommet-top-curtain-panel/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001740047&searchTerm=gray+curtain+panel&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults Also look for a runner rug that brings out the colors YOU like and also represent that color in fabric for whatever barstools you choose!!!!
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Replacement lighting idea...
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    I have to agree with LKristine....I like the wall color as it is.....good luck
  • Rebecca Z
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow, thanks for the inspiration! Love the runner idea... I know eventually I'll replace the lighting, but thats not up at the top of the list right now. Looks great in the picture though. The color will carry onto the wall going into the dining room. Maybe that will make a difference. Love the greens shown before, it helps visualize it. I can see why people like the gray, but its really so much overall the entire house, plus I kind of had this visualization of "bringing nature in from the outside" because of the big windows (although we DO live in the Seattle area, which is awfully gray!)
  • Rebecca Z
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    jriefin thanks for the picture with the similar color of cabinet, it hleps me compare it with mine.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    BEFORE you paint - if you don't know what other colours your wanting to bring in in drapery, furniture, artwork etc. DON'T pick your paint yet.

Green is lovely and will bring out the wood tones of your light cabinetry - but make sure that the tone of the green compliments the current gray colour (which I love in your space by the way)

I also don't see any green in your countertop - if you could post a photo of the countertop - you should be trying a tone on tone paint pulling from the countertop colour - that is always a gorgeous backdrop to adding any colour you want in your easy to change furnishings and accessories.
  • PRO
    Soring Interiors
    11 years ago
    If you like the green tones, I would paint the cabinets white It would brighten the room and be anice contrast with the floors and paint colors.