Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_zeppenfeld

The Challenge: Need help with Kitchen lighting before I go crazy

Tracy Zeppenfeld
7 years ago

Part of our kitchen has an 8 foot ceiling, from the sink and beyond is under a vaulted ceiling. Across the open vaulted ceiling are 3 pine trusses. We are having light decision issues. We are planning to put (4) recessed cans in the 8' ceiling along the pantry and refrigerator wall, and a hanging pendant over the sink on the vaulted ceiling, Over the island we are considering putting track lighting with hanging pendants with glass shades. It will be attached under the 8" ceiling and connected to the first truss where the power is located ( see current hanging light) Our problem is from the sink to the end of the cabinets. This is a a vaulted ceiling and there is no way to gain access to run electrical to continue with recessed cans.

This home is half exterior logs with 2x4 construction and half logs on the interior. We are removing the interior logs and putting up sheetrock. I'm looking to go transitional with some rustic items , wire brushed wood floor, ORB light fixtures, stainless steel appliances and faucets, white cabinets with brushed nickel knobs and pulls, and brushed nickel lever handles.

I'm hoping to hear from as many as possible on my lighting dilemma with some helpful suggestions. If you'll notice when you walk in the front door the first thing you will see is the lighting above the the island and then my stove / vent hood.

My husband is suggesting doing track lighting throughout the kitchen to cover the walkway spaces on both sides of the island and the island itself. I'm thinking this will be to contemporary.

I want to do the recessed cans in the 8' ceiling along the walkway in front of the refrigerator and track lighting over the island, probably 2 large pendants as the island is 8' x5 and the first truss with the power does not extend to the end of the island. To cover the lighting issue in the walkway behind the island from the sink to the end of the counter I thought that I could run another track with small spot lights to provide lighting.

The wall mounted vent hood we purchased has 4 light in it.

The 8' ceiling starts below the sheet rocked upper vaulted wall

view from front door

Great room lay out

Kitchen design.

Thank you in advance for your help. Time is of the essence, (but isn't it always ) my husband wants to hang the sheet rock - like yesterday.