0

Roses before the deluge

rosecanadian

First off - my dog Toffee showing me that's he's hungry. He always puts his head down on a flat surface to tell me he's hungry.

Zaide - the fragrance is a bit better. Looks like it may be a good bloomer. This is a bareroot from this year.

Chartreuse de Parme - another bareroot from this year. I love the color and the strong damask scent!!! This bloom is a bit old.

Broceliande - a wonderful damask fragrance.

Grande Dame - not much fragrance

Valencia - lovely as usual with a strong perfumey scent. Had to be propped up though because of the heavy rains.

I think this is echinicea.

Paradise. The bush itself is struggling with all the rain. We need some heat.

Baronne Edmund de Rothschild. This rose is finally starting to bloom properly and it finally has a wonderful fragrance.

And I'll end it with another of my dog's claiming HIS stick. :)

Carol

Email Comment

• strawchicago

Carol: Your Toffee dog is adorable, what's the name of the black dog? Is that your oldest dog? I love your Paradise and Baronne de Rothchild .. both are so beautiful !! Valencia is perfect bush form. I cancelled out Grand Dame since it's hardy to zone 6b.

• rosecanadian

The black dog is the youngest at 4. His name is Zephyr (gentle breeze from the west - we got him in B.C. which is west of us). Toffee is 7 1/2. Toffee really is a sweetie. He's my favorite of the dogs.

Paradise ais my daughter's favorite rose. This is the first year that I've liked Baronne de Rothschild. The last two years - the shovel was hovering over it. Now it's here to stay. I love it.

Valencia is a fabulous rose. I wonder how tall it would get in a warmer climate?

Grande Dame gets soooo many flowers - but you have a big selection of roses hardy to zone 5 - you should stick with that. You'll get much more enjoyment from a rose that doesn't die to the ground every year.

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: Beautiful photos. Love both your dogs..... they are so cute.

Chartreuse de Parme is performing well in my climate. I guess it may not like it too cold. It's a wonderful rose and one of my favourite.

Your Valencia is so beautiful. It is available here and this winter I am going to buy a bush or two. Paradise is a beautiful rose, so unique in shade but here in bIslamabad, it just has a mild fragrance and at times, it is completely non-fragrant.

Broceliande is a new one form me. Never seen it before but it is so identical to Maurice Utrillo from Delbard's Painter Collection. MU doesn't have a strong fragrance though.

Has your Baronne Edmund de Rothschild not been performing well for you in previous years. I intend buying this rose and want to know more about its performance.

Thanks again for beautiful photographs.

best regards

• rosecanadian

Thanks, Khalid!! My roses look terrible now, because of even more hail and terrible rain.

I think Chartreuse de Parme is doing well with the cold weather. It's a new bareroot from this spring. I'm really happy with it - especially the color!!! I'm glad it's one of your favorites - that means it has the potential to be good here too. :)

Yes, I think you should try Valencia. It has nice strong stems, but even they have problems with hail almost every day. The blooms last a very long time and has a long period of interest.

Yes, Paradise doesn't have any fragrance here too. But I'm willing to forgive its lack, because it's so beautiful. It's my daughter's favorite rose.

Broceliande looks like it may become a great rose! I'm really happy to have it. Yummy fragrance.

Baronne Edmund de Rothschild has taken about 3 years to get more than a couple of blooms/season. The fragrance took that long to come in as well. I think that next year it will be even better. The blooms finally look lovely. Now, this year, the blooms last a long time and can hold up to a lot of rain. So it's not a quick-fix rose - but I think it's eventually going to become one of my favorites.

:)

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: I take the rain over the extreme heat and dryness anytime. I had to use tap-water for the last 3 days .. so hot & dry !!

I won't transfer my 10 own-roots in pots into the ground until end of September when we get some rain & cooler weather.

For hot & dry weather, nothing beat sulfate of potash & gypsum plus alkaline tap water. Did that for 3 years and had healthy roses until frost hit late Oct. The high pH of tap-water actually keep roses healthy in hot & dry.

This year 2016 I experimented with alfalfa-tea at NPK 2.7-1-2 .. and it's very disappointing .. not enough potassium for blooming nor for disease-prevention, plus lowering pH means more blackspots. Will have to order sulfate of potash NPK 0-0-50 since I'm out.

Some pics. taken August 10, at 92 degree and 56% humidity.

Veteran's Honor in a pot, bought from RU as own-root 3rd week of June. Smells like cherry. Weak stem means it needs more potassium.

Betty White, outer petal devoured by Japanese Beetle.

Close-up of Darcy Bussell bloom, smells good in humid weather. Will dig up a bush-shot later. Very healthy, zero blackspots despite many experiments:

Below is Munstead Wood reaching out for sunshine, it's healthy until I gave it alfalfa tea (6 cups soaked in 30-gallon tap-water for 24 hrs). It blackspotted with lowering pH. Seaweed said it did great in her alkaline clay, dry CA.

Above is Yves Seedling in a pot, lots of leaf-cutter bee damage (they like shade). All pics. taken today, August 10 at 92 deg weather, 56% humidity.

Below is Bohemian Rhapsody, doesn't like acidic alfalfa tea either. Leaves became thin & wilted in the heat. This rose is bred by Robert Rippletoe in his hot & alkaline California.

• strawchicago

Above is Darcy Bussell as own-root (bought 3rd week of June), pic. taken 1st week of August. Bush is short & wide and spreading.

• rosecanadian

How old is your Yves Piaget seedling? It's just beautiful!!! Wow!! I can't remember if you said there was fragrance?

We had really heavy rain again today. Yes, I guess it's better to have rain instead of dryness. But every day we have rain - and not light drizzling rain - but heavy, driving rain that ruins everything. Every day.

Love your roses!!! Really nice to see them!

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: That pic. of Yves Seedling, it's 4th year .. I dug it up and put in a pot, since I forgot to put gypsum in the planting hole when I planted it 4 years ago. Zillion-petals rose need lots of gypsum, and I can't put that on top .. Yves seedling doesn't like it acidic. Thus the best place for calcium is IN THE PLANTING hole, my alkaline clay neutralizes the acidity of gypsum.

Yves scent is floral-red-wine, delicious, but once picked, it loses its scent. Now Dee-lish rules my garden in fragrance, beating Munstead Wood. Dee-lish can easily compete with old-garden rose like Madame I. Pereire and Comte de Chambord .. both are famous for their scents.

For heavy rain, magnesium is a must to prevent leaching of potassium. Magnesium is the "glue" that holds nutrients in soil. My best defense against heavy rain is topping roses with high-magnesium & alkaline clay.

Last year we had over 43" of rain, and the worse tomato crop ever !! Last year I topped my tomatoes with cocoa mulch NPK 3-1-4, but that wasn't enough. Heavy rain leached so much nitrogen & potassium that my tomato were wimpy, and 1/10 fruit-production. Last year we got heavy rain at least twice a week !!

This year is dry & hot, less rain .. less nutrients leaching out: very good tomato crop. I spent 1 hour a day picking tomatoes for husband to bring to work. This year I topped tomato with free grass clippings (this doesn't work for roses, too much heat).

One cherry tomato planted in high-magnesium clay has the spread of my dining-table, very invasive. No nitrogen nor potassium leaching in that dense clay ... there's tons of leaves & fruits. Picture below is 1/6 of the bush:

• strawchicago

Below link has a fantastic slide-show which shows how roots are stunt without magnesium:

http://www.kali-gmbh.com/uken/company/news/charts/chart-of-the-month-201102-magnesium-important-for-every-stage-of-plant-growth.html

Another link is my favorite to identify nutrient-deficiency in pots. Bought some blood-meal NPK 12-0-0 yesterday to top a few less-leaves roses in pots.

https://www.hydroponics.net/learn/nutrient_deficiencies.php

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: I don't think there is any trustworthy prevention against hail storm that I know. Few months back we had a strong hail storm in Islamabad that destroyed most of the foliage (and of course all the blooms). Buds were replaced soon but foliage looked miserable for quite some time till the growth of fresh foliage. I am not sure what can be done against hail.... may be Straw has some trick up her sleeve.

Straw: Yves seedling is 4 years old? How big is that if you are still calling it a seedling? I have never tried a rose from seeds..... how long it takes to become a full sized bush?

Single bloom on Veteren's Honour looks beautiful. How old is this bush?

best regards

• rosecanadian

Straw - that's a lot of rain!!!! More rain than this whiner here has had. :) But we have had tons of hail. I'm so proud of you that you got such a wonderful seedling!! My crosses that I did this year aren't taking. I did my earliest crosses I could. I wonder if too much rain and not enough heat/sun would stunt the growth of hips???

Khalid - yeah, all of the leaves are hanging in shreds. This year I probably took about 10% of the pictures I have on other years.

Carol

• Anna

Carol: I wonder why your grande dame doesn't have much fragrance. Mine is one of the most fragrant rose in my garden. I remember mine first bloom in February right after I got her from the nursery it didn't have fragrance as well.l- I was so disappointed. As the weather got wormer 70-90 + F her scent got super strong.

• Anna

Straw wrote: "For hot & dry weather, nothing beat sulfate of potash & gypsum plus alkaline tap water. Did that for 3 years and had healthy roses until frost hit late Oct. The high pH of tap-water actually keep roses healthy in hot & dry."

I tottaly agree with Straw! This is the basic for hot and dry weather. Plus based on the rose type and the individual needs, the other nutrients have to be moderated- for example double delight is extra Iron and Manganese needy.

• rosecanadian

Anna - could be because we don't get hot enough here. Our average temp here is 21C which is about 70F. With our terrible rain/hail we've had lots of days with temps of 14C which is about 57 F (I love using the online conversion). Gee, I wish mine was fragrant like yours!! It's a trooper of a plant though. No matter how many blooms get ruined by the hail, this rose has more roses that open. Right now there's probably 40 buds on it with about 5 crummy looking ruined flowers. It keeps trying!

• strawchicago

Carol: Wow! 40-buds is a lot for pots .. you did a great job fertilizing that one.

Anna: thank you for your info. on Grand Dame's scent. Double-Delight is like Grand-Dame: fantastic scent at hot temp over 80, but Double-Delight lost its scent completely at cooler temp, below 70.

Khalid: My mistake: I should had called it "Yves Child" rather than "Yves Seedling". It's 4-year old, but last winter-die-back was severe, so I put in a pot to fix the soil, will plant into the ground soon. It takes 6 months to grow a rose from a seed into a tiny plant. It takes 2 to 3 months to grow a rose from a cutting .. much faster.

• rosecanadian

Straw - it takes about 4 years for my rugosa crosses to bloom (bee pollinated). I love your seedling!!!

Yes, Grande Dame is a fabulous rose!!! Tons of blooms!!

Carol