Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Torn between two lovers...

tinker_2006
7 years ago
Rugs.... Oh dear... Both so different

If any of you following my "help, I hate my new chairs"... I'm starting to really like them! I have a local store nearby that allows you to take home a few rugs on a trial. Maybe it's too soon for me to decide since I only have 2 chairs, and I'm waiting on the off white sofas.

The gray one I really love... It's more formal in my opinion, and it's a "one of a kind" so I can't buy it in a larger size. This might be too small... ( it's an 8x10)

The 2nd one obviously is for color only... It's the only size they had. I'm not sure about this particular color, maybe too close to the floors, but I do like the texture and just do like the relaxed feel if this natural rug.

Would love some feedback and thoughts. I'd like to make a final decisions after the sofas arrive... But the silver rug may not be available if I wait.

Please note... Dark shadow casted from the chairs make areas look darker. Can't get as good photo at this time.

Comments (132)

• SandyC.
    7 years ago
    I know, it's so nice to try things in the home. I don't know how people buy things online without seeing them first. Post photos when your sofas arrive, would love to see them.
  • Hamma
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

tinker_2006, thank you for keeping us updated! Did you ask them about the price? I'm hoping they'll be able to give you a discount, possibly. The rug is beautiful. Did you have a chance to see how the colors looked in the daylight?

• Hamma
    7 years ago

A good dealer will almost always give you a rug to try at home. I agree, how amazing is that! A lot of them view rugs as art (which they are, to some extend) and they want you to be happy with your selection.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Tinker,

I think the 9 x 12 is still too small for the space. I totally understand you love the hand knotted and patterned rug. I absolutely understand!!! But. Handmade rugs are priced on average, in this type with no silk......well, it's about 40.00 per square foot. Meaning the $$ go up exponentially to get the VERY right rug for your room. which is probably not less than 12 x 16. In simple math, that is a 7700.00 rug.

On the other hand, a flat sisal at that same size is about 2500.00, and a 4 x 6 or 5'x7' foot hand knotted to sit ATOP it and under a cocktail table? About 1,000- 1500.00 !! Thus, for 3500.00 to 4000.00 all in, you could have the right size, and the gorgeous accent atop it, anchoring all the seating placed on the sisal. Just sayin........................: )

Time is always an ally. Decorate in haste, and repent at leisure is an old adage. I would say even, do the inexpensive sisal, and save for the PERFECT RUG.! No rug was ever the last beautiful thing on the planet. Or.....consider that updates up the road with regards to color are not out of the question, and changing an accent rug might not stab your heart, but being married to the 7700.00 rug ? Depends on how long you tend to be in/stay in love...right?

PS...... about fifteen years ago, in the huge trend of leather sofas, mossy greens and deep rusty reds, and beiges.....I sold TONS of gorgeous and hugely expensive hand made rugs. My dealer took trade in, so when the colors went softer and paler we traded many. But the "trade" option went away, and ............yup.....it is very difficult to sell one specific large patterned rug, no matter what you paid, or believe it is worth. I'll go away now !!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really can't wait for the sofas and coffee table... so I can move onto other areas! Just trying to not make expensive mistakes!

Hamma, funny - the store I've been shopping at is "Rugs as Art". All I got off is a $30.00 coupon. The rug is beautiful in the daylight, I think (hope) it looks okay with the chairs! Yesterday, I visited a few rug shops - just to see if I could find another I loved, but I didn't (well I found a couple way over my budget so they don't count) .

I really love this forum. If anyone who has been following this and hasn't looked into the wool broadlooms.... make sure you do! Amazing, really has giving me food for thought in regards to the area I'm posting about. I know for sure... I'm going to get one for my bedroom! Had I really known about these beautiful carpets, I'm no so sure I would have went hardwood throughout my entire house!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan, we were posting at the same time. I really was floored by the beautiful options of patterned and sisal. I saw several sisals that wowed me.. and I DO still like the look of sisal, especially for the "cottagy/farmhousy" (I know that's not a word lol) feel. Your idea is great and one to consider. What COLOR sisal rug would you go with in this room?

• SandyC.
    7 years ago
    The new sisals and broad looms are not cottagey IMHO. They go with just about any style home. You see them in all the shelter magazines. You don't now they are cut to size, but that's what gives a room a custom look, along with well made custom window coverings.The reason they work, is they are cut to the appropriate size and don't look like a postage stamp in the center of the room.They are a great way to define a space. Are you planning on getting a rug for your dining room?
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sandy, you don't feel sisal is cottage? I do!

Hamma, here is the color of the rug in good daylight.

Heading out with fabrics to go look some more!
  • SandyC.
    7 years ago
    No not cottagey at all! Did you see Prestige Mills ( Stark) yesterday? We got our Stark through our designer. She brought out many samples, all colors and patterns to try out. It is the softest, durable carpet I have ever had.We have 2 sofas, 2 chairs, sofa table and everything sits on the rug. Had to get one made as the room is very large and round( yuck).
    Take a look on Houzz at high end living rooms. It's the designers go to rug. Custom sizing, for reasonable pricing.
    Platinum or grey would be spectacular. These are not at all like the rugs you buy premade, these are truly lovely soft, durable products.
    Do you have a good design shop in town? They may carry Stark or Merida and have samples.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Susan, I thought you must have made a typo in regards to not thinking sisal is not a cottage style.... They are in every cottage home magazine!

The rug store I'm going to today carried both these brands... Just sample boards.
  • SandyC.
    7 years ago
    Love :)
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@ tinker 2006

Don't faint, I found you THE rug. Virtually so close to your love affair, it is hard to discern the difference. Hand knotted, 100% wool. At 10 X 14 SIZE, 4000.00 At 12 x 18 6,000.00

You must !!! either email me with a cell phone number ( go to the pro page, and Houzz will send, put your cell in the body of the email, and I will text you a photo.....

Or.....Call Stafford floor covering at 585 482 0600, (Nancy or Christine ) and reference me and this email, and they can text you a photo. I am certain with a nominal deposit, they would fed x you the 3' x4' sample ( the sample was pricey as samples go) and you simply Fed x back.

If you don't do this .........I will hunt you down on here because you are going to faint from joy I believe. I nearly passed out, myself. Consider it a possibly very lucky day: )

• SandyC.
    7 years ago
    That is awesome! And a very good price! Double a Stark but lovely, and is what will make you happy in the end I think.
  • SandyC.
    7 years ago
    Jan is giving you a gift! No designer fees and a great find on her part. Hope you take advantage of her expertise and generosity. Lucky you!
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OMGosh JAN!!! I'm absolutely dying now... I just returned home from my day at the rug shop, and went through ALL the Stark sample (and brought some boards home) but ultimately decided that I still like the hand knotted rug better - and bought it. Paid in FULL! I'm going to message you me phone.. and meanwhile check my paperwork to see if it's refundable. I have such a difficult time making final decisions, and left the store feeling proud to have made another decision... UGH. You're the BEST! messaging you now!

• Hamma
    7 years ago

Wow, what a find on Jan's part (incredible!) and suspense now!!! tinker_2006, what are you planning to do?

Have you taped off those two proposed sizes to see how they would work in your space? Which size would you go with? I'm very curious now.

And yes, how uncanny about the name of the rug store. Lol!

P.S. Thank you for the picture in the daylight. Still loving it as before! I guess it will all come do to whether you can return the purchased rug/how you like the new ones(?)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Working on the layout to scale. My room is smaller than it appears on the pictures. I know the 10x14 would be the largest possible I could go. I will keep you all posted! I hate decisions.. hate them.. thought I was done, but I MUST see the rug Jan found!

• Hamma
    7 years ago

You're talking to a Libra. We're are not known for making the decision process easy :). Seriously, I do understand though. Good luck and please let us know!

• slab
    7 years ago
    I prefer the grey (if that is the one that shows as larger of the two). It looks gorgeous with the chairs and looks great against the large black cabinet.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Well girls, the rug sample is on its way Fed x to "Tinker" for Monday arrival. I even know her actual name : ) ! A miracle of modern technology and luck, computers, texts, and taste in one collision. I think it may look great; almost passed out when I tripped on it today. My brain went so foggy, I had to go back to my own computer to post and let Tinker know! Aurrgghhh! I could not recall my Houzz password.!

Maybe the decorating gods will smile, because when they do....it's a lovely thing, yes?. Pay it forward : ) help an old lady across the street or something.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Excited, it's unbelable how great this is! Nothing like a first love, and the gray one was really my first love the moment I rolled it out! I promise to keep you posted!

• lulu
    7 years ago
    I feel like the larger of the 2 rugs is the best choice. I remember the other delima, and you have a pretty big room. The colors of the big rug play nice with the chairs you used to hate! Glad you like them now.
  • SandyC.
    7 years ago
    Hope you can return it!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Sandy C'

She has thirty days, thank heavens: )

• lulu
    7 years ago
    Jan,
    Can you post a pic of the rug you found?
  • lulu
    7 years ago
    Or a link?
  • PRO
    DC interiors
    7 years ago
    The grey! You will be unhappy, forever, with the natural fiber choice!! I promise!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I'm going to let Tinker photo/ post if she likes it when she gets it!! : ) Remember it's a sample, so it isn't going to be room sized at 3 feet by 3 feet, but maybe she will lay her little fabric swatches on there and photo for all of us.. I'm not going to spoil her fun here. To do that would be like someone trying out the new shiny two wheeler while we all WATCH and advise. Or worse, like having "Becky" from next door come over and go "holy smokes..... !!! Ask any designer about THAT scenario! Though after all these years, I am pretty darn used to the "Becky's from next door" lol. Thus we will alllllll wait for the Fed x truck @ Tinker's just like waiting on dear old Santa.......

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    You have done well, love the buffalo check chairs especially with that grey rug. Love the check fabric mixed with other patterns
    tinker_2006 thanked Irene Morresey
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

blenheimezealand, beautiful pictures! Very helpful as well.. the plaid is a little confusing to me when it comes to adding other patterns!

• lulu
    7 years ago
    Okay, practicing patience.
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha... Me too!

• Hamma
    7 years ago

I'm joining in on that as well :). Only two more days to go! :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Jan, I know you are as excited as we all are, especially our OP!! I love it when this kind of thing happens. Just meant to be!!!! Love this story!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Wellllllll it's MONDAY/ Florida with horrendous drivers and traffic, so we wait for the fed x man. Tinker toots, you had BETTER TEXT ME when that box gets there, good bad or whatever!!. Okay, off to a client here ladies but even my carpet lady is dying to know.....: ) so TEXT!!! I will be at construction with some dust and dirt!

tinker_2006 thanked JAN MOYER
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I already texted Jan!!

It's here... And the color is perfect! It is soooooo close to my first love! The darker, slate blue rug ( which I have grown to love as well won't fit / work in any other space.. So I will attempt to return it today.

Here are some pictures!
  • PRO
    Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Love it. The chairs and armoire are great too. It looks like you have the start of a great room.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll check in later.. driving to the rug shop... have to make sure I can return this one!

receipt says 30 days... but some added stuff about 25% restocking fee! Crossing my fingers!

• Hamma
    7 years ago

It's gorgeous! Love the colors of the sample. Good luck! Hope everything works out. If they do let you return your existing one, would you mind taping off the area so that we can see how it will look with the new *potential* rug (size-wise)?

• lulu
    7 years ago
    Very nice!
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay ladies... I'm home with the larger, darker rug returned. No hassle, thank goodness! Jan is AWESOME... I'm blown away by her help, suggestions, ideas and thoughts... along with a few pictures she sent of before and after rooms, I realize.. I'm not ready to commit to a rug, and need at least my sofa's before I continue! I may even end up with natural fiber rug.. I just don't know, but I realize.. I'm rushing and I'm going to make mistakes!!

Funny.... Jan has actually been saying the EXACT same things as the Ethan Allen designer... maybe it's time I branch out a little from my normal selections. I'm confident in my own design skills, and I'm sure I could make the room look very good, but I'm realizing that with a little help, I could take the room up a notch and make it look GREAT!

I'm breaking up with my lovers... love story to be continued!

• SandyC.
    7 years ago
    I hired a designer after many years of doing it myself. Can't tell you how happy we have been with her advice and choices. I agree a trained designer, can kick it up a notch!
    Has saved me so much money, by using her vendors and most of all, it doesn't look like everybody else's home I walk in to.
    She has the knack(actually training) of knowing how to get the most bang for my buck, whether it be hand painted wallpaper of custom window coverings.Good luck.
  • Hamma
    7 years ago

tinker_2006, I will be awaiting your update as to what you'll decide then! I agree that you should not rush, absolutely not. A good rug is not inexpensive. It's only natural that you want to feel that you're doing the right thing! Good luck! It's been a fun dilemma to follow along :).

• SandyC.
    7 years ago
    One more thing, then I'll stop preaching....take your time, develop a well thought out plan. I know you say you are tired and just want to get it over with, but is that how you really feel? Good design should look like it has evolved, not like everything has been bought at once. Enjoy!
  • tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Ladies... lot's to think about... but that's what I'll do for a while in my EMPTY house... think!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Turns out "torn between two lovers" was an apropos title for the thread! In a world of endless options, there's only so much that can fit in a room. You choose one thing, and give up something else for that same spot.

Staring at an empty space can set off a very understandable urge to fill it up, but design isn't just about filling space. That's shopping! Design considers all the elements that make up the space, from walls, to windows and ceiling, and the in between of that "envelope", and how you will use it. It considers how you want it to look and feel within that use. So it's simple! But it isn't simple, and while it needn't take forever and a day, it does require thought and a bit of patience. ...........or you can wind up with that head slapping moment of "aurrgggh!!! I coulda had a V-8!!!"!!

I think tinker realized yesterday, thanks to the technological miracles of communication we enjoy today, that there are an awful lot of fish in the decorating sea, plenty of frogs among the princes as well, unless you plan, consider, and only then, tie the knot. In that regard, designers might be the pre- marriage counselors who help you avoid future divorce court, or at least that awful head slap thing: )

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan.. lol, I couldn't have said that any better! Your comment made me chuckle, and you know what.. I've faced this issue before (furnishing a whole house) and I ended up with a couple expensive divorces!! (Brand new furniture I hated and immediately resold next to nothing!). I really can't thank you enough for all the phone conversations, samples, emails, pictures and most of all, your sound advice!

• Architectural Notice
    7 years ago

I am struggling with a small redecorating of a modestly sized home. It is overwhelming to try to tie everything together and to make decisions from the thousands of options available for everything.

I have a newfound appreciation for interior designers and wish I had hired one, even for a two hour consulting, at the very beginning. Am considering hiring one now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Design is always a Rubik cube and the "cube" has become as large at the recently flattened round planet. The cube is "smaller" for pro's; they cut through the riff raff at greater speed. They know when they've found "it" and when to cease investigating....and also when to keep looking.

We ( any pro) could go on an on with analogies, but inside the comfortable, functional room that suits you and your style and your home, is that abstract and wonderful thing that is best defined as getting the room or house you didn't know you could have, and the one you never, ever knew.......how badly you wanted.

It's a very abstract and wonderful thing........until wonderful happens to you : )

• supernurse41
    7 years ago

I like the first, lighter colored one.