Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolantaflor

Need some ideas on customizing a new build floor plan

jolantaflor
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have selected a developer's floor plan and now need to customize it to our needs. I'm having some trouble envisioning how this house will feel inside and how I will use it as I am used to living in a bungalow.

We picked this plan because:

• It fits on the narrow corner lot it's going on (right side of the house is exposed and south facing)
  • Has a Flex room on the Main that we will close off into an office
  • Bedrooms have good closet sizes for extra storage
  • Upstairs bonus room is away from the Master and we can close it off with some french doors when the kids get older.

What I don't like about the plan:

• Cramped foyer, especially since we are closing off the Flex room
  • Ensuite layout - wouldn't the sinks on either side of the tub look a little odd?
  • Ensuite walk in closet - this is so weird, I imagine it would get humid and stuffy in that long closet. I think closets should be in the bedroom where there is more light and room to check out your outfit in a standup mirror.
  • Worried the dining room is too small for a 6 seater rectangular table..?

What I'm on the fence about is the Laundry room - I think* I would prefer it on the upper level, but I can't imagine how we could make it work.

I would love to hear any other ideas/recommendations you all have.

Here is the original layout. We will be adding extra windows and architectural details to the right of the house.

Here is my attempt at addressing some of the issues above: I just made some adjustments in illustrator, so it's rough.

Comments (12)

• jolantaflor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Feedback anyone? :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Not a great plan in either scenario. Begin with the fact you are walking from the garage, through a laundry, and then a pantry to the kitchen. .................I wouldn't build it, sorry. The plan can't be fixed online, in a forum like this.

• oliviag55
    7 years ago

Personally, I always look for a plan that would accomodate a bedroom and full bath on the ground floor.

That said, first, I'd mirror the house so family room, master, and one bedroom are on the north (shaded) side.

The master bath needs work. Who needs the expensive bumpout seen by no one for the tub? I'd delete it.

I would not take the closet space from the master that you drew. Horrible for resale, even if you and your spouse dont need it.. Do like the idea of splitting the closet with br 3 and bringing an additional closet into master.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Add to the above comments that the front elevation is dominated by the garage, and it doesn't have much curb appeal. Eliminating the dining room leaves you with a very tiny dining area in the kitchen, not conducive to any sort of gathering of more than 4 people. You can do better with 2400 square feet than this plan.

jolantaflor thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- I don't care for this plan . I do not like plans with a center staircase arrangement.

To get the laundry up with the bedrooms where it should be .. you could move the toilet into the master bath and then push the other bathroom back to include the laundry set . This will shorten the closet for the 2 bedroom.

Then the space on the main where the laundry space is can now be a mudroom. I would also shorten the pantry a bit to have more kitchen .

A certified kitchen designer can help sort out the kitchen design and the master bath .

jolantaflor thanked lefty47
  • jolantaflor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree that the floor plan is not the greatest and the garage dominating the front is not ideal, but this is what we have to work with. We're moving to the Calgary Canada area where all new communities are master developed and have these ultra narrow lots where you can only fit a 30' wide house.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to play around with it more to enlarge the dining area and try to get the laundry upstairs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I'd get with the original architect who drew the plan, or another, and re work the entire plan. I'd begin with moving the laundry and "office" functions to the second floor. It's just a lousy floor plan for a busy family.

jolantaflor thanked JAN MOYER
  • lefty47
    7 years ago

HI - Jolantaflor --- Calgary is my city and is a great place to live for families but I do not like most of the new districts because the builders do all the same houses and a lot of the newer areas will never be pretty. The houses are too close together and has proved to be bad with some house firers -- when one house goes up in flames several around go too. And all you see are garages and driveways and there is no parking for visitors . I hope your builder/developer is helpful with your changes . What brand of house ? What district is your house going to be in . There are so many new ones now , it's hard to keep up . Our family business does work for a few ... might be one of our customers !!

• jolantaflor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi lefty47, we're actually building in Cochrane (Sunset Ridge) with Landmark Homes. Have you worked with them before? They seem to be open to adjusting floorplans as long as it's not structural. We are not paying for a custom home after all, so I'd like to do as much figuring as possible before we meet with them to request changes.

• lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- Wow you are going to love Cochrane . A relative had a Landmark house there and it was real nice , they hated to leave . Job transfer to Red Deer . We do not do work for them. But remember to have your new house locks re-coded and have new keys cut , because lots of workers have been in that house and lots of keys might be out there .And in a housing development a lot of the houses have the same keys when being built . We do work for several businesses in Cockrane .You will love the famous ice cream store and the Stampede in Calgary in July . And it's not far from Banff . I love the main street in Cockrane and the special shops and you are only about 20 min drive to great shopping in Calgary at Market Mall and many others . Welcome !!

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    7 years ago

Very poor kitchen design. Make sure you do not put the refrigerator in back of the sink. Range should go on that wall and the refrigerator on the range wall.