Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eniel

Bamboo Wood flooring for downstairs ?

eniel
11 years ago
Two questions .... First looking at Lumber Luquidators Morning Star Anji Strand Bamboo for den, living, and dining. Also possibly stairs..... Any thoughts? Hearing it's so much more durable than original bamboo and as hard as hardwood? Also stairs? Do tops and risers or just risers? Want hand scraped distressed look also a reclaim old wood look because we have a busy Aussie. Trying to stay at $5 range. No wood tile be because meets up with kitchen and entry tile from all rooms. Nothing yellowy, reddish, or golden. Any other suggestions?

Comments (18)

• eniel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Not doing stairs now after hearing $$$ on it!
  • ruthmand
    11 years ago
    Love your dog - what a cutie! We put in a stranded bamboo floor about a year ago and I am very pleased with how it is holding up, even in the kitchen, with a very busy Border collie. It is very easy to keep clean and I think you will be happy with it. We did not do the stairs, laundry or powder room.
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    If you don't want hardwood floor ?myself love hard wood floor and we put rugs down
    Then stairs the first 3 are wood rest of upstairs carpet to cut the noise down
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    Ps beautiful dog
  • eniel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ruthmand : Thank you so much for input! Having a border collie you can relate to our having an Aussie. Thank you for her compliment too. may I ask you what brand of bamboo you put down? We are looking at Morning Star. Style Anji. I like the distressed, hand scraped look of it and the color variation. Any
    rule of thumb on area rug size for den?
  • eniel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Debra : thanks for input and liking my dog. Funny you said that about your stairs, I had mentioned doing that same thing to my hubby after I heard the outrageous cost. We have two stairs then two landings because it turns and then more stairs. Could you post a pic of what yours looks like please? What brand of hardwood did you use? Any pets?
  • ruthmand
    11 years ago
    We used stranded carbonized bamboo flooring, not distressed. It is a floating floor. We purchased it from a local building supply co. and I do not recall the brand, sorry. I think your idea of doing the wood up to the landing is a great idea.
  • PRO
    Bay Area Floors
    11 years ago
    yes absolutely strand woven bamboo is the best in hardness in the bamboo family strand woven is compressed so that the hardness rate is that of the Hickory or oak strand woven bamboo also comes in beautiful mahogany and walnut stain colors that would look exceptional on your stairs especially the risers I would vote YES on this application be aware that you would want to do a floating floor install over concrete to prevent any moisture issues using a moisture barrier will help in the long run to not damage the integrity of your floor. :-)
    -David Montanari From Bay Area Floors
  • fyrefly75
    11 years ago
    I have an Aussie and a Border Collie, so if you do this, please share what you think. Have been looking at this option as well.
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    Can't post pics I'm not home but last 3 steps u go up then turn turn and yes we have a husky after me falling down the stairs she goes last:)
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    We used pine over the house
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    We sealed our floor and stained it in 2 shades meaning we made a design the floor is holding up great thru dog nails husband and grandchildren
  • eniel
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Crystal.. We are going with the strand bamboo for sure.
  • ruthmand
    11 years ago
    I think you will be happy with your decision
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    Bamboo was my first choice but hub likes pine because of the grain and we do have some imperfection's but I think it gives it caractor I can't wait until we are finished so I can post pics I guess I'm to picky I want things finished before I share:)
    Speaking of pets it is so funny to see my husky sliding while she's running and playing that's why I put rugs down to give her a little grip
  • eniel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We chose the first one and absolutely love it! Been down since May 2013. No rugs yet!!! I love the wood look. Has had lots of use and no scratches. Our dog does fine on it except when running after something. No issues on cleaning, durability, cold feeling, no echo sound.
  • eniel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are pics